Author Topic: Arg, Need some infor on repair of a hardtop.  (Read 2880 times)

Offline dwtaylorpdx

Arg, Need some infor on repair of a hardtop.
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »
So I was hunting the other day, and coming down a hill to a cross road managed to end up sliding, then spinning about 40 yards culminating at a stop right at the edge of the road. Let my clutch out to drive out and rolled my YJ on its right side... The bank gave
out from under me and dropped the right rear when I was already in a high right lean tricycle.

Note : What a crappy way to roll ,,, no drama, and it took at least 45 seconds to do it... Don't even have a good story.

So the whole right side of my jeep ended up with some small dents and ripples and my hard top got the right side window broke out and a nice set of cracks in the roof. Any body ever repaired one of these? it does not look special, no worse than a fiberglass race fender on a car.
I'm planning on a side armor kit to cover the rear damage up, and maybe some tube fenders in the front if the budget stands up :)

Any tips on locating a new right side window? For less than 200 bucks. ?? Otherwise I may see a soft top in the future....

If someone has a right side white door for cheap let me know, mine is going to need work. :(

Cheers,

Dave

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Arg, Need some infor on repair of a hardtop.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
It's not hard to patch a crack.  Groove and fill with epoxy...  If they're fine crack you could spread them and use CA.

Window?  ebay, craigslist or glass shop.  For the door, just fix it.  Parts are available for most things.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »
The door got kinked top to bottom when the folding mirror didn't, mirror survived but the door shell is bent, still useable, I havn't fiddled with it yet. I may be able to suck it straight then cover with ALuminum or something...

The top looks pretty easy, it only broke the outer layer, so I'm planning on a try at exactly what you suggested....

Cheers
Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Torch_Ind

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 05:10:39 PM »
I have a side window but can't remember from what side are they not the same? I can check it though.

shipping might kill the price though

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 09:24:11 PM »
let me know, I'm in Portland OR 97203.

Thanks
Dave

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »

Thanks
Dave

When I lived there my zip was 97233. S.E. 148th & Division.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »
Not too far from me, I live in the St Johns Area...

Dave

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 08:36:02 AM »
Not too far from me, I live in the St Johns Area...

Dave

My dad lives in Scappoose.

Good luck with your hardtop.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Torch_Ind

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »

Thanks
Dave

what do you think the size and weight is? lol I don't feel like digging it out of my attic unless it's worth sending.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:59:33 PM »
Hmm. Its about 32x32 inches, must weigh in the 30 lb range I'd imagine...
I've never held it out of the jeep... Except in itty bitty pieces...  :brick:

Dave

Torch_Ind

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
Hmm. Its about 32x32 inches, must weigh in the 30 lb range I'd imagine...
I've never held it out of the jeep... Except in itty bitty pieces...  :brick:

Dave

maybe I will have to check I don't think it's 30Lb's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 09:21:32 PM »
10 to 15 lbs tops, it's not a windshield.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Torch_Ind

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
10 to 15 lbs tops, it's not a windshield.

well at the measurements you guys gave and at 15lb's it's roughly 62$ to ship. I wouldn't mind getting 50$ for the glass it's self

what do ya think?  if your interested I will pull it out and take pictures and send it to ya and we can go from there

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 01:46:54 AM »
What part of the country you shipping from? I'd hate to see it break !

If you are by any chance in the bay area I'll be there next week!

Dave

Torch_Ind

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »
What part of the country you shipping from? I'd hate to see it break !

If you are by any chance in the bay area I'll be there next week!

Dave

I'm in the North Bay Ontario Canada Area if that's what you mean or if you are talking to me?