Author Topic: what parts are the same on a yj and xj?  (Read 809 times)

Dynamic4x4

what parts are the same on a yj and xj?
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »
Im stationed in germany right now and cheap parts are hard to find but we have a xj i believe it was a 1987 in our junkyard with all the parts cheap or free so i was wondering what are some good parts to take off of it that would swap over easily or with little work.  i am going to check the steering column and see if its the same on saturday becouse mine is shotand tilt would be nice but if anybody knows any other parts it would be much appreciated to know.  It is a 4.0 automatic and the rear axle is already gone unfortunatly but other than that its still all there.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: what parts are the same on a yj and xj?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:02:06 PM »
from what i know the pitman arm would work and will provide some drop (equivalent to a drop pitman arm that comes with lift kits). I don't know if the steering box works or not and have no idea about the steering column either.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
Most things that aren't specific to the XJ should work or can be made to work.  The column should swap over.  The 4.0L in those is a regular output and not a High Output like in the 91's and up.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Dynamic4x4

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 02:27:49 PM »
yea the engine is no good and that would b alittle to big of a project over here for me anyways and i already ahve a drop pitman arm.  will the spider gears and axle internals swap over other than the gears?  it has the disconect on the passangerside so i was thinking it would but not to sure