Author Topic: Warn VR10000 Winch Review  (Read 13230 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
Warn VR10000 Winch Review
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
A few months ago my buddy Sean and I both purchased Warn VR10000 winches for our jeeps. I finally was able to use it twice this past week. While on the trail Tuesday, I broke out the winch for a 30ft or so uphill pull. I noticed the winch drew a bit hard on the battery. Later on the trail I had to pull myself and my buddy out of a nasty uphill muddy rut. My buddy's jeep at the beginning of the pull was situated in such a way that I had to drag him slightly sideways and uphill. The winch performed flawlessly. On Saturday we returned to the trail and found it to be a bit more difficult. Sean and I used our winches for much of the end of the trail. One pull ended up at around 80ft. Prior to that section, I found myself in a near impassable section of uphill, deeply rutted muddy trail. The winch pulled my jeep up and out without any issues. I would feel the winch after each pull and the winch never got anything more than warm. I'm completely satisfied with the VR series. It was priced cheaper than their other winches and at the time featured an $80 rebate. Unless you compete in time trial runs where winch speed is a big factor, this series is good for any off roader.

I spent a lot of time considering which winch to purchase and one of the things i spent a considerable amount of time researching was whether to purchase an 8000lb winch or a 10000lb. Off roading on any good, challenging trail can present you with situations where even the classic, reliable Warn M8000 can find itself pulling near capacity especially if you find yourself unable to pull straight on, if you are pulling uphill or if you happen to be dragging the vehicle where it may not be able to help out a bit. Considering all of the above, i decided i would want a winch that had some pulling power to spare and had enough of it that i wouldn't be coming close to the limits of its capacity.
Before I returned to the trail on Saturday, i decided to ditch the old battery that i had in the jeep and swap in a battery that could handle the rigors of the trail and the strain from the winch. Sean and i did a bunch of research and to my surprise it turned up a lot of negative remarks from Optima owners. My first choice would have been an yellow top battery, but given the negative reviews i decided to go with Diehard platinum which features better specs than the optima battery and good customer reviews. I noticed the difference on the trail as the battery recharged far quicker and handled the strain better than the older battery.

Below i've provided videos and pics of the winch in use.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/O5M8_3z0Gz8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/O5M8_3z0Gz8</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AQbSBzEedDA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AQbSBzEedDA</a>

So again, very satisfied with the winch. I figured it would be important to get the word out about this series as many ppl tend to regard winches as very expensive and therefor don't invest in them. On the other hand, some people dont want to take the risk with the cheaper brands as their reduced reliability could potentially leave you stranded with a $200-$400 dent in your pocket. At least with the VR, you get the affordability and the Warn reliability.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:09:54 PM by Jeffy »
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline aka-justin

Re: Warn VR10000 Winch Review
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:19 PM »
 :clap: Thanks! Made a believer out of me.
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:29:55 AM »
Sounds good. Thanks for posting the review.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »
:clap: Thanks! Made a believer out of me.
Made a believer out of the 2 guys who didnt have winches too LOL. We really worked the winches hard that day, and although as i mentioned the line speed was slow, it had the grunt to pull us out and along the distance we needed. For under 600 bucks, ya can't go wrong. Don't know if they still are, but warn was doing a 50 dollar rebate a week ago. When i bought this winch, they had an 80 dollar rebate.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:08:27 PM »
I think the Warn VR winches are some of the best value out there.  They're not the cheapest but they are backed by a long time winch company with a very high standard.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
I got a call this week from a buddy asking me to head out to the trail and help this guy out who was stranded in his XJ. Guy had a pretty built XJ with 35s and around 7" of lift. But, he broke some cardinal wheeling rules: He was alone and without any recovery gear, save a dinky come-along and a strap. This was also his first time out on this trail.
 I came along his driver side, on the side of the trail that was actually the natural progression of the trail, to find that where he was stuck was to the right....off the trail in a pit.
 Directly in front of his bumper was a pile of mud, much like a muddy wall basically meaning he was up to his doors in a muddy hole. The winch needed to pull him up and over the wall, but when i began winching I noticed I was actually pulling him THROUGH the muddy wall, rather than up and over. His axles, pumpkin and undercarriage were all just shoveling this muddy pile/"wake" of mud along with him. Nevertheless the warn winch perfomed well and got him out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ff5JkzZRM

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
I had a red top that lasted 9 years '99-'08 and that I probably replaced prematurely.  Ended up with a yellow top I picked up in '08 that has worked fine for me so far. 

But my Dad bought a red top on my advice a couple years ago and the thing recently died on him (shop said something like one of the cells was bad -- not sure how they determined that). 

He picked up an Interstate, before I had a chance to suggest giving a DieHard/Odyssey a go. 

Nice winch, though.  :thumb:
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »
I had a red top that lasted 9 years '99-'08 and that I probably replaced prematurely.  Ended up with a yellow top I picked up in '08 that has worked fine for me so far. 

But my Dad bought a red top on my advice a couple years ago and the thing recently died on him (shop said something like one of the cells was bad -- not sure how they determined that). 

He picked up an Interstate, before I had a chance to suggest giving a DieHard/Odyssey a go. 

Nice winch, though.  :thumb:
The DieHard has been great. Handles the load fine and recharges quickly.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »
with something like this I'm interested in long term durability more then anything

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »
with something like this I'm interested in long term durability more then anything
If you are talking about the winch, it's a warn and they have a great reputation. And i say that while trying not to sound like the "Warn Owns Everything" clan. Their tech guy spoke to me for a while on the phone before I decided on this model. He informed me these winches were designed for the rest of the market that doesnt do "competition wheeling" which requires fast line speeds. So for the average wheeler, this will do very well. Average wheeler has been relying on brands such as Smitty and Rugged Ridge and Milemarker for a number of years, now they can have a reliable Warn at an affordable price.
If it's the battery, I did a lot of research and ppl seemed really pleased with the DieHard and there were actually quite a number of complaints from Optima owners.

Offline smashcoast

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:54 PM »
So my winch is mounted with the 4 stock bolts and the sway bar mount front bolts. Then the 4 bolts from winch to winch mount. Now does that seem like enough? I was thinking about making it stronger so it doesnt rip off the bumper?
Building this Jeep on the Cheap! Just like Chrysler!

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 08:34:43 PM »
So my winch is mounted with the 4 stock bolts and the sway bar mount front bolts. Then the 4 bolts from winch to winch mount. Now does that seem like enough? I was thinking about making it stronger so it doesnt rip off the bumper?

since you have 6 bolts holding the plate to the frame and only 4 for the winch i would thing if something gives will be the winch to plate bolts or the plate itself rather than the 6 bolts to the frame (just using my common sense, i don't speak out of experience so i could be wrong).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »
My winch plate has 4 bolts to the bumper and 4 bolts from the winch to the plate. Seems plenty strong, doesn't feel like it would move or wiggle or anything when it's pulling hard.

Offline Tr00b

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »
NICE! Did you just use the warn mounting plate to mount the winch?

Do you just have a single stock sized battery running that thing?

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »
NICE! Did you just use the warn mounting plate to mount the winch?

Do you just have a single stock sized battery running that thing?
I bought the plate from Rough Country. Weighs about 75 lbs. I just have the one battery.