Author Topic: XJ Springs on a YJ  (Read 1986 times)

Riff Raff

XJ Springs on a YJ
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »
Anyone done this as a cheap way to get some lift? I have two sets of XJ leaf springs, one is from a 4 cyl XJ, the other set a 6cyl XJ, but both look the same to me. I was told using the main leaf and adding it to my leaf packs would give me 1.5 to 2in of lift. This would inolve cutting the XJ leaves to fit the YJ. But the second leaf in the XJ pack is only 1in longer on one side of the center bolt than the YJ leaf pack. I was thinking of trying these leaves instead. Any ideas on this?

Also, I noticed my YJ has 5 leaves in the rear packs but only 4 in the front. Seems it should have the same if not more leaves in the front. I know some lift kits ask if you are running with a hardtop, so maybe that would have someone to do with it. Or maybe my YJ has a towing package, but no trailer hitch?

Let me know if you have any ideas on any of this, thanks.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: XJ Springs on a YJ
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:03:43 PM »
can't help with the XJ info as i didn't do it and dunno much about it.

as far as 5 leaf vs 4 - i had a 2.5'' lift with 5 leafs front and rear, got a 4'' lift kit and it came with 4 leafs all around, the only thing that's worth mentioning is that the 4'' lift i installed feels softer on the bumps compared to the 2.5'' lift, seems backwards and i'm not sure if that's due to the other one being a 5 pack vs 4 or just b/c the way it was.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:17:03 PM »
Anyone done this as a cheap way to get some lift? I have two sets of XJ leaf springs, one is from a 4 cyl XJ, the other set a 6cyl XJ, but both look the same to me. I was told using the main leaf and adding it to my leaf packs would give me 1.5 to 2in of lift. This would inolve cutting the XJ leaves to fit the YJ. But the second leaf in the XJ pack is only 1in longer on one side of the center bolt than the YJ leaf pack. I was thinking of trying these leaves instead. Any ideas on this?

Also, I noticed my YJ has 5 leaves in the rear packs but only 4 in the front. Seems it should have the same if not more leaves in the front. I know some lift kits ask if you are running with a hardtop, so maybe that would have someone to do with it. Or maybe my YJ has a towing package, but no trailer hitch?

Let me know if you have any ideas on any of this, thanks.
Keep in mind that the pins are offset on the XJ leafs.  You could take OE YJ leafs and make them into AAL's.   At least then you won't have to try to cut the leaf down.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Riff Raff

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:33:03 PM »