Author Topic: Selectable or Auto locker. Can't Make up my MIND!!  (Read 2461 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
Selectable or Auto locker. Can't Make up my MIND!!
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:11:52 AM »
Im getting the regear in motion and just picked up an 8.8 at the yard yesterday. (will be starting a build log). Now, I need to chose a locker that will be going in the DANA 30. I had for the longest time wanted a selectable e-locker. ARB is really good, i know, but +800 bucks plus the compressor is out of my range. OX is in that range as well and i've heard bad things about them, so im not looking at them either. Leaves me with the ECTED or EATON. I decided EATON because i read a lot of poor reviews about the ECTED and they aren't really a real locker, put rather use clutch packs that wear out eventually and then dont work. ALso, they have a nasty reputation of staying closed and not re-opening. SO EATON for the selectable. But then i started eyeing the auto lockers. If i put in an Aussie, I can save almost 400 bucks, and they seem to work well. I have 2 friends who run them and love them. One of those buddies says the drivability isnt bad in the snow. I also saw the Detroit lockers, which i've been told are like the AUssie but way better and more reliable. But at that price range, $160 more and i can go for the EATON.
Here are my concerns with auto lockers: It snows pretty heavily where i live. And we have lots of hills and tight roads. The plows don't get to us right away cause they do the main roads first. When it does snow, it renders my gf's car useless and she has a 40 min ride to work (longer when it snows) and i dont want her driving the jeep in those conditions and having the jeep act unpredictably. My jeep handles great in the snow in 4wd in open diffs. I've been reading a lot of reviews on line saying the jeep with an auto locker (esp while turning or turning and going uphill) would pull or fishtail a bit with an auto locker up front. Any thoughts on this? I'd like to with the EATON but the price is higher than i thought and i was thinking i could get away with an auto and save a few bucks. But with the on-road drivability im reading the autos have, im not sure that's a great idea....
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Re: Selectable or Auto locker. Can't Make up my MIND!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:08:59 AM »
For predictable riding on road, nothing beats a selectable locker.  It's just an open differential when not engaged.  Also, remember you get what you pay for.  The more expensive options are more expensive for a reason...

Although I have never personally driven a detroit locked Jeep, I have heard that they tend to exhibit some nasty habits on road, so I would wait on that one until some people that run them give you their opinion...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 09:59:23 AM »
For predictable riding on road, nothing beats a selectable locker.  It's just an open differential when not engaged.  Also, remember you get what you pay for.  The more expensive options are more expensive for a reason...

Although I have never personally driven a detroit locked Jeep, I have heard that they tend to exhibit some nasty habits on road, so I would wait on that one until some people that run them give you their opinion...
Yup, i was thinking the same thing. I hope that some of the member who run detroits fwd can voice some of their opinions on this.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:07:19 AM »
When I lived in Colorado I had a Lockright in the rear of my YJ. I don't recall any unusual driving traits in the snow or ice. But I must say the lunchbox type lockers suck bad for noise. Plus over time the teeth get worn down and they don't work so well. But this takes years. I would never run a lunchbox locker in the rear. In the front I could see doing it to save some money.
If your gonna do a selectable just pony up and do it right and get the ARB. It's money will spent, and you won't regret it later. Plus you will have a way to air up your tires.

Keep in mind when you add lockers it's gonna change how your Jeep handles. It takes some time to get used to the changes. A selectable helps since you can choose to have them on or off.

I must say I love my Detroits and can't see changing them out! I have heard that the TJ's have a worse time with them in the rear axle as far as road handling. Since I have a YJ I don't know first hand.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline jagular7

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »
Like others have stated, lockers change the way the vehicle handles and drives. People won't be driving normal anyways with snow on the ground. So your gf should be driving like anyone else out there, slow and under control. On any condition of the street where the vehicle slides, there really is no control the driver has until there is traction of the tires. I operate my vehicles no matter what they have in them under control. I do at times push the limit, but that's how I know and understand the limit. Sort of like taking your first slide ride in an unplowed parking lot. You get the feel of lost control and spinning, sliding etc and how you have no control to get control till you gain tire traction.

Would you run on ice or take baby steps to get started? Would you accelerate from baby steps to running on ice to go faster? Kinda simple.
People tend to point out issues they have with something, but really don't tell you the circumstance of the situation.
I have an open 4wd heavy truck (toter), locked 4wd TJ (streetable wheeler), and to front wheel drive vehicles. Each operates differently on the street with minimal traction.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »
selectable for the front, Eaton e-locker is a good choice, ected is pretty much a no-no for the front regardless if it's a 2 piece or a 1 piece passenger axle, ARB and OX are great choices too but a bit more money than the eaton (although not by a lot).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »
Ok, love the responses! Now, ARB and OX are right now def out of the price range. Stretching the price range lands me at EATON where i would be comfortable at that price level. So as I see it, this is between Detroit and EATON. Detroits seem to be in the $550 range and $150-70 more I can get an EATON instead. My issue is wondering if it's worth the little stretch. Some of you guys have praised the selectables, so i assume they would say yes. Of course there is the Aussie option and I'm wondering if that trumps all these choices? It is on the real low end of the price range, $225. If I am considering Detroit should I not even look at Aussie? I've heard Detroits are way better than Aussie. Hope this clears up the issues im having...

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »
Ok, love the responses! Now, ARB and OX are right now def out of the price range. Stretching the price range lands me at EATON where i would be comfortable at that price level. So as I see it, this is between Detroit and EATON. Detroits seem to be in the $550 range and $150-70 more I can get an EATON instead. My issue is wondering if it's worth the little stretch. Some of you guys have praised the selectables, so i assume they would say yes. Of course there is the Aussie option and I'm wondering if that trumps all these choices? It is on the real low end of the price range, $225. If I am considering Detroit should I not even look at Aussie? I've heard Detroits are way better than Aussie. Hope this clears up the issues im having...

Aussie = lunchbox =  :nono: for the rear. If you do a non selectable do the Detroit. Much stronger, much better all the way around.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »
A lot of the bad press on the Detroit comes from people who have never owned one or have owned one before the Softlocker came out.  The new lockers are all Detroit No-spin Softlocker and not the original No-spin, I believe.  There's a big difference in smoothness with the Softlockers.  Any referance to a Detroit is always in reference to the Softlocker.  They have extra springs to soften the hookup and that keeps noise to a min.  As others have said, you'll learn how to drive with a Detroit.  You can keep the locker quiet 99% of the time with no ill effects.  Otherwise, you might get one big bang, or a wiggle but it's because of the way you drive.  When coming to a stop you need to be straight.  If you put too much of a turn input, the locker will disengage and you'll get a pop when you apply the throttle.  You'll also learn not to shift while in a turn.  (bad habit anyway)  You want to shift right before the turn and/or right after.  You also want to be steady on the throttle or letting off.  If you jump on and off while in even the slightest turn it may cause the locker to disengage.  It may sound like a PITA but it's not.  You can also use the throttle to induce oversteer to counter any understeer which is really nice.  The Detroit is going to be a lot stronger then a lunch box locker for a two reasons.  One, is the housing.  It's a housing built for the locker so it can me made stronger.  The other is the Detroit uses two cross-pins, not just one, equals more support.

For a front application, a lunchbox locker is OK.  In the rear though, they tend to wear out quickly with regular use.  If you're going to be re-gearing then I'd save up and do it once.  Other then the noise, it should be invisible in a TJ while in 2WD.

Drive-ability in snow shouldn't be a problem.  You've already going to be driving slower then normal and taking some precautions anyway.

If I was going to do it over again, I'd definitely go with ARB's front and rear but that's big money.  ARB's have been around for a long time.  Almost as long as the Detroit.  They are both considered the best.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »

You always have the option of going ARB rear and open front...  That should be within your budget.  Of course, if you are planning on regearing, it would be cheaper to do both at once.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »

i'd go with selectable over any other type of locker/posi/lsd/etc in the front, no reason not to if that $170 extra is not an issue - i think it's well worth the difference.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »
Guys, once again the 4banger crowd pulled together and helped me with input and info. I appreciate all of it and took a little bit to consider it all, finally I learned of a $70 rebate from EATON and decided on an e-locker. I'll be starting the build thread soon to document the jeep from it's simple begining 4 yrs ago, til now and then through the axle swap and regear... and beyond

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »
Guys, once again the 4banger crowd pulled together and helped me with input and info. I appreciate all of it and took a little bit to consider it all, finally I learned of a $70 rebate from EATON and decided on an e-locker. I'll be starting the build thread soon to document the jeep from it's simple begining 4 yrs ago, til now and then through the axle swap and regear... and beyond

Eaton is a very good product but have you considered any of the Yukon products like the zip locker? Very low price point and from what I've seen pretty tuff. One of the guys I wheel with has one in his 5.9 grand. I believe he has broken everything but it.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 03:13:34 PM »
Eaton is a very good product but have you considered any of the Yukon products like the zip locker? Very low price point and from what I've seen pretty tuff. One of the guys I wheel with has one in his 5.9 grand. I believe he has broken everything but it.

Didn't even know they made a locker. I googled it and found them. Looks like they are air lockers for a little over 700. This puts it right at the price for my EATON, but they require a compressor so that would be some more money. ARBs start at a little over 800 not including the compressor, so if I was considering an air locker, this yukon locker would require a serious consideration given they seem to have good reviews, run on air and are cheaper.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:17:15 PM by stan98tj »