Author Topic: Cold air intake  (Read 1850 times)

sailorjerry13

Cold air intake
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »
Hi everyone, i bought a rugged ridge cold air intake about 2 months ago for my '95 yj and noticed more fuel consumption (to put this simple, a full tank of gas w/stock filter 250 miles; with cold air intake, 200). Anyone have this issue? Im thinking of maybe switching back to stock!!!

Offline grumpygy

Re: Cold air intake
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 09:58:13 PM »
I would be happy with your low Milage. :ass:
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 09:58:31 PM »
Hi everyone, i bought a rugged ridge cold air intake about 2 months ago for my '95 yj and noticed more fuel consumption (to put this simple, a full tank of gas w/stock filter 250 miles; with cold air intake, 200). Anyone have this issue? Im thinking of maybe switching back to stock!!!
Most 'Cold Air Intakes' are Hot Air Inlets...
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:00:28 PM »

2 issues with the way you measure it
- is it a full tank until you run out of gas or a full tank until you refuel? to be consistent the amount of fuel going in has to be the same between the 2 tests or to literally run out of gas (would be nearly impossible to exactly guess when the same amount of fuel was used by looking at the gauge, so you should fill the tank, reset the odometer, drive 200 miles and refuel - calculate the mpg by dividing the odo reading to the amount of fuel you put in, redo the test with the other airbox/filter).
- the other issue is the temperature, not sure where you live but there is a big difference (at least with the Jeep) when the temperature drops.

i doubt the filter can make that much of a difference unless your stock one was really filthy and was choking the intake, in that case yes it can make a difference but is due to lack of air and less power and that's not a good thing at all, just lean on the pedal less and you'll get the same performance as before if that's the reason for the increase in fuel usage.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end