Author Topic: 4 hole fuel injectors  (Read 7375 times)

4banged

4 hole fuel injectors
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »
Has anyone upgraded their single hole injectors to the newer 4 hole ones? There's a good YouTube video showing the difference and I spoke to fiveomotorsports and he thinks they make one that will fit my 03 2.4l for $175 for the set (he's doublechecking and said he'd call me back tomorrow). They are way better at atomizing the fuel and with 115k on my jeep its probably a good idea to do it anyway.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: 4 hole fuel injectors
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:19:04 PM »
Has anyone upgraded their single hole injectors to the newer 4 hole ones? There's a good YouTube video showing the difference and I spoke to fiveomotorsports and he thinks they make one that will fit my 03 2.4l for $175 for the set (he's doublechecking and said he'd call me back tomorrow). They are way better at atomizing the fuel and with 115k on my jeep its probably a good idea to do it anyway.
Overall, the 4 hole injectors do atomize better.  It's for a 2.5L but a 2.4L will probably be a little different depending on what the injector looks like. http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,3479.0.html  If you can get the spec on the stock injector.  FSM should say what it is.  Then all you have to do it match up an injector with it.  You can also up the flow rate a little while you're at it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:28:31 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
the 2.4L is a new motor (design wise, that includes the fuel injection components), i wouldn't mess with the injectors, they're as modern and as good as you can get, i doubt that you'll find an injector that would give you any improvements just based on design, more flow maybe but that's about it.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

4banged

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:35:44 AM »

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:55:53 AM »
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

4banged

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:11:14 AM »
No Injectors there. 

I think its a great comparison... Could it be faked? Sure, but I don't think they would have to...I would expect a fairly noticeable difference in spray patterns between single hole and quad hole injectors. I'm seeing threads on other jeep forums with good results ... Apparently you can pull these off certain neons at junkyard.

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:49:18 AM by 1995yj »
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:00:40 AM »
I think its a great comparison... Could it be faked? Sure, but I don't think they would have to...I would expect a fairly noticeable difference in spray patterns between single hole and quad hole injectors. I'm seeing threads on other jeep forums with good results ... Apparently you can pull these off certain neons at junkyard.

it's not fake it's a comparison between bad injectors and good ones, not 4 and 1 hole comparison (although the bad ones were 1 hole)

like it's been said the 4 hole would atomize better but the difference is not what that guy shows you, the comparison is obviously biased to promote what he's selling

here for some examples on how the single hole would spray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D-RJ0ivv4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=kHJSRpE5ok4
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

4banged

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
it's not fake it's a comparison between bad injectors and good ones, not 4 and 1 hole comparison (although the bad ones were 1 hole)

like it's been said the 4 hole would atomize better but the difference is not what that guy shows you, the comparison is obviously biased to promote what he's selling

here for some examples on how the single hole would spray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D-RJ0ivv4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=kHJSRpE5ok4

Okay, I definitely see your point now . . . there's really not that much difference from the clean 1 hole injectors compared to the 4 holes. The ones that guy was showing looked like a squirt gun tight stream (very deceiving). I'll have to think about spending the $175 now. I'd love to see some research showing how well injectors spray after 100K miles though (I add injector cleaner once in awhile but who knows if that works?).

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »
Okay, I definitely see your point now . . . there's really not that much difference from the clean 1 hole injectors compared to the 4 holes. The ones that guy was showing looked like a squirt gun tight stream (very deceiving). I'll have to think about spending the $175 now. I'd love to see some research showing how well injectors spray after 100K miles though (I add injector cleaner once in awhile but who knows if that works?).
you are going to see an improvement with new injectors no matter what the design is. Sometimes (and in your case this is my belief for the 2.4L motor) the a different spray pattern might affect the engine running adversely, for example the spray cone can be wider on the 4 hole injectors and can be meant for larger or different shape intake runners, in that case it could affect the flow of atomized fuel into the cylinder (all this is speculation, i don't have any first hand info to compare) - my 2 cents.

Bikerjr1

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
Sharpxman your right about the spray patterns.  You could have a wider pattern that would re-condense the fuel onto the runners in the manifold or even on the on the valve itself.  The spray patterns are sometimes given if you go to the injector manufactors spec sheet.  Also check the cc number and make sure its not less than you need.  Don't go by color go only by part number.  I've got some Ford 19#ers that will burn a 2.5L to the ground they run so lean.
good luck with which ever one you decide on,
JR

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 06:54:07 PM »
you are going to see an improvement with new injectors no matter what the design is. Sometimes (and in your case this is my belief for the 2.4L motor) the a different spray pattern might affect the engine running adversely, for example the spray cone can be wider on the 4 hole injectors and can be meant for larger or different shape intake runners, in that case it could affect the flow of atomized fuel into the cylinder (all this is speculation, i don't have any first hand info to compare) - my 2 cents.

Good Point I just found out about.  My Harley originally Came with a 8 Deg cone.  They had Major Problems at Idle and surging under way.  They changed them out to 25 Deg that was the only change and the Problem was solved.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »
I may be wrong But believe that the 2.4 already comes with a 4 hole inj.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »
if it's a Denso  the ford design III won't be any better

DENSO Technology – Leading the World
•In 1999, DENSO introduced the world’s first 12-hole (opening) fuel injector (C60) – successfully reducing the atomized particle size to 65 µm.
•In 2002, DENSO introduced a UC injector with uniquely shaped fuel injection openings. These fuel injection openings reduce the fuel spray particle size to 50 µm.

the Denso P/N is listed as 297-0034 but i can't find any specific info on it and dunno if that's the OEM one or not.

4banged

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 07:05:57 AM »
I may be wrong But believe that the 2.4 already comes with a 4 hole inj.

I'm trying to find out what the factory injectors are...this 2.4l is the red headed step child...not much info anywhere on it. It's like area 51 ... We know it exists but not much accurate info on it! Lol