Author Topic: lopeing?  (Read 3193 times)

fobanger00

lopeing?
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:44 PM »
jeep lopes like it has a cam, i use 93 oct gas and i thought it was the fuel filter so i used the fuel filter cleaner almost everytime i gas up when getting a half tank or more.  doesnt help or solve the problem.  the throttle body seems clean also, no one can tell me what the problem is, it never happens when i bring it to get looked at.  does it more when its cold but also does it when its warmed up. rather random when it happens but im seeing if anyone else had this problem?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: lopeing?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:33:51 PM »
jeep lopes like it has a cam, i use 93 oct gas and i thought it was the fuel filter so i used the fuel filter cleaner almost everytime i gas up when getting a half tank or more.  doesnt help or solve the problem.  the throttle body seems clean also, no one can tell me what the problem is, it never happens when i bring it to get looked at.  does it more when its cold but also does it when its warmed up. rather random when it happens but im seeing if anyone else had this problem?

what does lopeing or lope means? why do you use 93 octane btw?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:48:16 AM »
If you thought it was the fuel filter why not change it.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:48 AM »

Having a very large lift/duration cam will cause the motor to lope...it will not idle smooth at lower RPM's.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
is it going up and down in rpm?
if yes then my guess is one of the following: too rich, an injector squirting or not spraying constantly, the O2 sensor, the TPS or
some misfire or for some reason the engine is about to die and the PCM is opening the IAT to prevent that and the cycle repeats

any codes/CEL?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

fobanger00

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »
fuel filter is in the gas tank attached to some computer and remember hearing it was exspensive, lopeing is like what a diesel does when you cam it, to me it feels like the engine is jumping out of the jeep, and it almost stalls but it wot, the rpms go from below 500 to just under 1000.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
start with checking the fuel pressure and go from there. If it's that bad i would expect a CEL Code so if that is the case check and report back.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »

Having a very large lift/duration cam will cause the motor to lope...it will not idle smooth at lower RPM's.
Lobe'ing comes from Cam Lobe nut not necessary the actual cam shaft lobe.  It's the heavy uneven idle an engine may exhibit.

The first thing to do is check the ECM for any stored codes.  It might not display a CEL but it still might have codes. Intermittent could mean a sensor is bad but not bad enough to throw a code.  You might also check the spark plus, wires and cap to make sure they're all up to snuff.  A rough idle could mean a missfire.  Although, you should notice a loss in power.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
i think we need a vroom vroom description 'cause now I'm even more confused... (lopeing, lobeing, caming, etc).

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:15:53 PM »
i think we need a vroom vroom description 'cause now I'm even more confused... (lopeing, lobeing, caming, etc).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KZUfa11TO64?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KZUfa11TO64?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

This is what comes to mind when someone says they have a lopey cam. This more than likely is running at 1500-2000 RPM at idle. Could be more. Pure music!
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

fobanger00

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
imagine you start your jeep, and its fine then all of a sudden it sounds like its bucking and close to stalling and engine is shaking, then i rev it a few times and its fine or usually i shut it off then start it up again and it doesnt do it.. no one knows what this is!!!

fobanger00

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 08:32:17 PM »
only code showing is my o2 sensor code and this problem has happened since i got the jeep with no problems at all

fobanger00

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:25 PM »
pretty much what that video is doing but quieter, less ballsy, and its not a good thing lol

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:38 PM »
This is what comes to mind when someone says they have a lopey cam. This more than likely is running at 1500-2000 RPM at idle. Could be more. Pure music!

i that's what his does then it could be a sign of too rich (going up and down in rpm at idle) or anti-stalling by the means of IAC (for whatever reason would stall that's another issue).

only code showing is my o2 sensor code and this problem has happened since i got the jeep with no problems at all

that can be a reason of too rich, so replace it.

EDIT: it's so dirt cheap that i can't imagine any reason for not replacing it anyway (got mine for $35 at Amazon).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:35:40 PM by sharpxmen »

fobanger00

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:49 AM »
this problem happened before o2 sensor was bad.  i am posting a vid on the facebook page ebcause it is to big to post on here.  if you have time to watch it please do,  you can hear it mostly towards the end when im by the exhaust.  when it does noise i rev it and it stops after a few revs