Author Topic: Oil Catch can  (Read 2396 times)

Offline grumpygy

Oil Catch can
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »
Has anybody added one and did it help Milage.  Guy at works claims 4 MPG by just adding one.

Me I know my rings are going and am getting some good blow by.  Now I don't now about added MPG but keeping the gunk out of the throttle body would be nice.

Just ordered this one.

Its made fort VW's  but will work on the jeep got the Brushed one.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Oil Catch can
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:47:16 PM »
The guy's FOS if he's saying you'll gain 4mpg.  Catch cans have been used mostly race cars/trucks.  They're popular with the import crowd as well.  Not that popular with Jeepers but if I wasn't venting into the air, I'd run a catch can.  No need to be sucking oil into the engine.  There even a post in the FAQ with mention to an oil catch can.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:34:52 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 03:00:01 PM »
The only thing it does is lower the amount of oil that makes it into the intake.
I doubt you could measure any HP gain either...

I've considered adding one to the big vent pipe from the valve cover to the
air cleaner just to help keep the oil down. I made a gadget to see which way
the air was moving through the vent tube. Turned out it draws from the filter to
the valve cover at idle (Probably because of the ccv circuit.) and towards the
filter at high throttle. (My gadget was a clear tube with a ball and a couple pins through it...)

I did all the fiddling before I went ahead and rebuilt the motor... Now its less of a issue.

Dave

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:05:02 PM »
he said mpg and not hp, but either way it won't be true unless he's got so much blowby that his plugs are getting gunked badly and in that case it could help with the gas mileage, but on the other hand it has to be horrific to begin with to see an improvement. helps with keeping the oil out of the intake like they ^ said, but that would be about the only benefit.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
Ah yep dont know why I read HP... It will help the mileage if its blowing by bad enough to foul plugs, but if its that bad,,,, EEk.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:19:19 PM »
Its bad but not that bad.  Plugs are fine but then I and using one really hot coil.    And plugs set at.060.

I had the line come off at the Elbow.  Whole back of the engine was coated in Oil.

The catch can I posted about has screens inside to catch the oil and it is set up so I can drain it.

The ones on e-bay I do not think they have anything to slow the oil down.

If any gain in MPG I'm thinking more like 4-5 Miles per tank Not Gallon.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
  The ones on e-bay I do not think they have anything to slow the oil down.
they don't, i bought one - you don't need much though, some wire mesh folded up a few times and set on top should do, it's better if you get the one with proper screens though but last time i checked a Moroso was like $100, the one i got something like $12 so for me was a no brainer.

If any gain in MPG I'm thinking more like 4-5 Miles per tank Not Gallon.
you won't if your plugs are nice and clean, but if you have oil in the intake it will help with that so it's not a bad idea.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
they don't, i bought one - you don't need much though, some wire mesh folded up a few times and set on top should do, it's better if you get the one with proper screens though but last time i checked a Moroso was like $100, the one i got something like $12 so for me was a no brainer.
you won't if your plugs are nice and clean, but if you have oil in the intake it will help with that so it's not a bad idea.

The one I got was from  http://42draftdesigns.com/categories/products/catchcans.html

Cost was $115.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:09:30 PM by grumpygy »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
Just after a week?   :uhoh:

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 09:17:37 PM »
Just after a week?   :uhoh:

:roflol:

and there's no way that's blowby oil, looks like it was never in the motor :lol:

The one I got was from  http://42draftdesigns.com/categories/products/catchcans.html

Cost was $115.

they look nice and well built but for $115 i was expecting more than just those 2 screens to be honest, ideally it should have a separator vertically and on top on the outlet side some thick steel wool between 2 screens (just like the stock breathers used to have, didn't take the Jeeps ones apart but i think they have something similar in there)

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 11:33:29 PM »
Have you verified the CCV system is working correctly?

Have you removed the valve cover and cleaned it thoroughly?

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 06:48:25 AM »

Yep and it was really pluged up.  Did that when I had the head redone.

jwalls4x4

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
I think I need one of these, lol.  She's starting to show her 212k miles :uhoh:

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »

Did not finish this morning.  Had to look up CCV still need to read some more.  Actually did not know about this .  So that may be part of my Problem.  Thanks.  May be back to ask some questions on this.