Author Topic: best intake for the jeep?  (Read 2250 times)

fobanger00

best intake for the jeep?
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »
i have a stock setup with a k/n filter in it, is this fine or would a cold air intake be a greater improvement? i kept the stock setup for wheeling, thinking that a cold air would suck dirt and water in?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: best intake for the jeep?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
i have a stock setup with a k/n filter in it, is this fine or would a cold air intake be a greater improvement? i kept the stock setup for wheeling, thinking that a cold air would suck dirt and water in?

unless you go with a snorkel the one you have is the best setup (otherwise would be sucking hot air from engine bay with just a cone filter).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

cman

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »
Yes what he said
I go with a cowl intake
I plan on build one asap

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:40:32 AM »
I had been running an intake setup that was sealed, including filter, up all the way to a 3" hole that I had drilled below the left headlamp.  These are old photos over at jeepforum:  http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f225/homemade-custom-coldair-intake-770846/index2.html.  On that page, mine is the setup with the heat-wrap and the inline filter with the red-housing.  It was basically a cowl-induction type setup but it piped directly to the front grill instead of making a u turn to the cowl.  

After I got a second intake manifold I had it sand-blasted, bored out to 62mm and then I mailed it out for ceramic coating work. Then I started thinking about doing something else intake-wise besides my 3" pipe/tubing straight out the front (which I suspected might have been more restrictive that I wanted, despite the cooler air it was pulling).

I looked at this old Jpmagazine piece on intake test numbers on 4.0L engines.  It looked like they were getting the best torque numbers with the Airraid setup with the Synthflow filter setup (not the oil/cotton gauze deal).  Looked like the Airraid tube tapered from about 2.5" at the TB clear up to 4" where it met the metal heat shield.  http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/engine/154_0804_jeep_wrangler_intake_shootout/viewall.html
Anyway, I bought one of those Airraid jobs for the 2.5 a while back, figuring the 4 banger was a 5/8s of a 4.0L and used the same emissions and A/F sensors and all that.  So, if the Airraid worked good on a 4.0 torque-wise, it'd probably be ok on the 4Banger.

Going to install my over-invested-in intake manifold and the Airraid intake kit with the synthflow filter and see how that works.  Probably not going to harm much except if I account for the damage to my bank account  :lol:  But, hey, all that work on the intake manifold meant dough for dudes in the custom auto/parts service industry; so no regrets on my end.

If my Jeep saw a lot of water/mud, I'd run an ARB snorkel and maybe an Apollo filter or maybe just the stock paper and airbox, though.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:49:44 AM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

fobanger00

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:12:56 AM »
would it better to keep the stock setup and replace the tubeing? or they make this but it looks to exspensive for what it is/ does maybe i could make one

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17014_100.htm

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:26:03 AM »
would it better to keep the stock setup and replace the tubeing? or they make this but it looks to exspensive for what it is/ does maybe i could make one

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17014_100.htm

remove the velocity tube at the outlet of your airbox (take the lid off and look at it - you'll understand what i mean)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

JohnnyO

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »
I put an Airaid on our Jeep.  It seems to hold speed better on the highway better.  The Airaid came with a heat shield but I don't think it would be the greatest for water and mud if you go off-roading.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 12:25:17 PM »
Changing the air box will change the power band.  I went back to the stock airbox since I liked the low end torque.  I've removed the turn down as well as the velocity stack and replaced the filter with a FRAM airhog.  Still has good low end.  I noticed when I swapped my K&N hopen air filter and tube, I had less low end torque but a bit more top end HP.  So cruising at 70mph was easier.  Also for some reason the engine felt like it reved more freely over 4000rpm.

Most Jeep CAI's are poorly designed and will breath hot air from the engine compartment.  This will negate any performance gains and could even reduce performance when compared to the air box.

I'd like to add some tubing to the stock airbox and see if I can get more of a ram air effect just to see if there is any difference.  A snorkle would do that BUT the additional length of the tubing could negate some of the performance gains.  Although you're not looking for performance with a snrokle anyway.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

JohnnyO

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »
Most Jeep CAI's are poorly designed and will breath hot air from the engine compartment.  This will negate any performance gains and could even reduce performance when compared to the air box.
The stock intake on ours is a Hot Air Induction too, although more waterproof than an aftermarket CAI.  The actual OE intake opening is underhood and pretty small.  IMO the only way to get a true CAI (that is reasonably waterproof) is with a snorkel.. You could make a sealed heat shield and run a piece of dryer duct or PCV pipe to behind the grille but that would be a bad idea on a Jeep that goes off-road.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »
The stock intake on ours is a Hot Air Induction too, although more waterproof than an aftermarket CAI.  The actual OE intake opening is underhood and pretty small.  IMO the only way to get a true CAI (that is reasonably waterproof) is with a snorkel.. You could make a sealed heat shield and run a piece of dryer duct or PCV pipe to behind the grille but that would be a bad idea on a Jeep that goes off-road.
Except it's pulling air from behind the headlight.  At least it's not on top of the valve cover.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

JohnnyO

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 07:20:26 AM »
The stock airbox inlet on ours just goes straight up from the top of the airbox and points toward the hood, and the opening is very small.  Again, good for keeping water out but it looks pretty restrictive.

scottanche

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 08:21:17 AM »
4.0 TB swap , stock 6 cyl TJ intake tube , Green cone filter

JohnnyO

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »
Here's what the Airaid looks like.

And with the heat shield installed.  The back side that you can't see is fully covered.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:52:31 PM by JohnnyO »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
i wouldn't really call that a heatshield. Nevertheless, that filter is massive

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 12:06:56 AM »
The AirRaid intake I have has a heat shield that seems to box the cone filter in almost entirely once the hood is down.  It looks like roughly the same design as the one I saw tested on the 4.0L in the jp magazine piece I linked to in the previous comment. 
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor