Author Topic: Recommendd Audio Software for Sound Files (Exhaust, Noises)  (Read 1508 times)

chrisfranklin

Recommendd Audio Software for Sound Files (Exhaust, Noises)
« on: March 22, 2006, 06:09:44 AM »
What kind of audio software do you guys use to record a sound file (like you might do if you were seeking to give representative examples of an exhaust sound)?

I was using Audible.com before, but they have gone pay only it seems.  I have a 30 second recording of the engine squeel that my Jeep is making and  I wanted to turn it in to an audio file/link so that the Wise ears on 4BangerJP could diagnose a likely problem.   :)

SMC4WD

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 05:17:48 PM »
Engine squeal??   Sounds like water pump or alternator...  

Think ages of those two things...  If they are really old, it does hurt too much to replace (better in your garage instead of the side of the freeway)

There is an alternator shop right up the street from my work.  I've built up a pretty good reputation with them and they'll usually take apart my alternator and look at the brushes and rod (armature, or whatever they call that) and re-assemble it right in front of me.  I've even pulled my alternator out in their parking lot for them to test it.

Water pump...   Buy a factory one and save your old one (if money isn't an issue).  The factory one will last many, many years, while the aftermarket 'lifetime guarantee' one's are guaranteed to leave you stranded, and they'll give you another POS as an exchange.  Again, the problem is, trying all of this on the side of the freeway.

Not much more under there that would squeal...   (smog pump, pulley or tensioner??)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 05:30:41 PM »
Well, I record them digitally with a mic into my iPod since I've got an iTalk.  But it's just as easily done with a regular mic and a laptop.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

chrisfranklin

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 06:12:47 PM »
I think I confused Audible with what I used before which was "audioblogger.com" ; it's basically an add-on feature to Google's blogger freebee service.  What you can do is use a telephone to record the audio which is then stored as a file on a server somewhere.  Then, you can put a link on your blog; click the link and it plays back the audio file you picked up through your telephone mike.  Now, if I wanted to have that audio heard on 4BangerJP, then you'd just put a link here, same as what I would use on a blog.  Pretty simple to use.  

Last night I downloaded something like 4 different shareware audio recording programs, none of which did the trick.  So, I am getting back to audioblogger for its simplicity.  Got my own blog, called "Usedcarsalesman," at  Usedcarsalesman.com, which I am trying to figure out how to put back up; don't talk about cars on it much, oddly enough.

midnightcwby

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 12:32:27 PM »
Hey chrisfranklin, just to make sure, are you TOTALLY, 100% sure the squeal is not you're serp belt?  I know that sounds dumb, and I'm sure you probably already looked at it, but my '95 YJ did the same crap to me. I knew it was a belt, but I was unaware that my serp belt DIDN'T have an auto-tensioner like almost EVERY OTHER friggin' car on the damn planet.  I had to find all the adjuster bolts, loosen my P/S pump and take up the slack that the old-stretched belt had created.  You might have already tried/checked this in your other thread, I'm just jumping in the middle on this thread, so sorry to waste your time if you already checked this!   I have always been told by my buddies when I was an auto mechanic that a good way to get a quick guess if the serp belt is too loose/worn out is to try to twist it past 90deg. or so. Pinch the belt with your thumb and index finger (the wide way, across the ribs) and try to twist it more than a quarter of a turn.  If it twists one half of a turn or more, you PROBABLY need to adjust it and take up a little slack.  Note: you should try this at a place in the belt where there is the greatest distance between two pulleys.  I'll go and find your original thread now and probably see you already addressed this issue. :D

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 12:49:47 PM »
Oh, I remember the program now.  Audacity, it's what most PC podcasters use.

I still think it's the belt though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."