Author Topic: What type of oil do you use and how often do you change it  (Read 2132 times)

01amberfirewv

What type of oil do you use and how often do you change it
« on: March 23, 2006, 08:38:24 AM »
I have been running mobile1 10wx30 and changing it about every 5-6k.  Sometimes I change it sooner because I have a cone filter and don't trust it on really dust trails.  

What type (weight and brand) do you use and how often do you change it?

chrisfranklin

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 08:54:30 AM »
Use 10W 30 Mobil 1, but use close to 5 quarts due to using M1-301 , Mustang 5.0-Type Oversized Oil Filter.  Big filter seems like a good move.

Dunno, but tests have been done (forget company) on BMW(s) using synthetic, where a car has been run at 150mph (120mph?) for a million miles on a dyno; synthetic oil did not show any breakdown after.  And syntheitc was originally used in race cars and used to cost a fortune.

Naturally, with synthetics, the issue on the road is going to be dirt and contaminates, if not breakdown and sludge creation.  But, even so, High-end roadcars that come from the factory with Mobil 1 are not listed to receive oil changes but every 15,000 miles.  With my Jeep, off-road and such, I err on the side of about 10,000 mile oil changes with synthetic.

And, I did the Bilstein Oil Flush about 2000 miles ago and oil still looks golden.  If its still golden at 10,000 I won't change the oil; if not, then I will.

jackhammer

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 11:09:16 AM »
Changed oil + filter when I bought jeep 2months ago. I used recomended filter next time I will try the larger size.  I used 10w-30 I think it was quaker state high milage had some slick 50 on front label couldnt tel if it was already mixed in it or it was recomended oil for slick 50.  but whatever. It was the cheapest high milage in that store. Isnt it recomended to go to 10w40 in summer? anyways plan on changing every 3-5000.

jwrape

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 11:13:58 AM »
Castrol 10W30 every 3-4k miles

midnightcwby

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 11:41:18 AM »
I'm an AmsOil dealer,  so I use AmsOil Series 2000 0w30 racing synthetic. Great startup wear elimination, plenty of shear stability, temperature stability, blah blah blah...  I use one of our nifty Nano-Fiber oil filters too.

I change the oil every 9-12 months and the filter every 4-6.

The oil can actually last MUCH longer than that, but I still can't bring myself to leave it in there any longer :oops:

A good high quality synthetic oil (AmsOil, RedLine, Royal Purple) is a good choice in my book, but I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers who doesn't like synthetics. 8)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 11:49:34 AM »
I run Mobil 1 5w30.  I change it around 5-6000 miles or every 6 months.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

jackhammer

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 02:14:01 PM »
when I was in the military we wouldnt change the oil. every so often just send in samples to check for shavings so they could figure out who needs rebuilds.   and no one ever believes me.

midnightcwby

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 02:56:24 PM »
That's an oil analysis program.  When I worked for Caterpillar we did the same thing. They look for more than shavings too. They check every aspect of the oil including it's TBN to determine if it's time to change it or not.  AmsOil has the same program.  The C-130's I worked on in the Air Force had a similar program.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 03:08:35 PM »
Well, seeing that it's in the military, I'd suspect that they'd rather have the vehicle in use and not wasing time in a garage doing an oil change.  Not to mention, if it's sealed up, there's less likely a chance of contaminants getting into the engine causing more damage.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

MA2LA

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 07:04:43 PM »
Quote from: "midnightcwby"
I'm an AmsOil dealer,  so I use AmsOil Series 2000 0w30 racing synthetic. Great startup wear elimination, plenty of shear stability, temperature stability, blah blah blah...  I use one of our nifty Nano-Fiber oil filters too.

I change the oil every 9-12 months and the filter every 4-6.

The oil can actually last MUCH longer than that, but I still can't bring myself to leave it in there any longer :oops:

A good high quality synthetic oil (AmsOil, RedLine, Royal Purple) is a good choice in my book, but I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers who doesn't like synthetics. 8)

Why don't you run thier By-pass filter system witch from what I have seen works very good and you pretty much don't have to drain the oil. On the cars and trucks that I run synthics in I generaly run 6k to 10k  with a filter change somewhere in the middle. When  I put my new motor in it will get some ggod stuff.

midnightcwby

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 07:16:03 PM »
Their by-pass filter system is sweet.  It's just a little too rich for my blood, for now at least :)