Author Topic: Update on the R2.8 Turbo Diesel  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Update on the R2.8 Turbo Diesel
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:10:18 AM »
Update on the R2.8 Turbo Diesel

Greetings Fellow Enthusiasts,

I’m Steve Sanders, Program Leader for Cummins Repower™ – the new crate engine business of Cummins Inc, responsible for bringing the R2.8 Turbo Diesel to market.

First of all, thank you. You received this note because you already either completed the Cummins Repower survey or signed up online to be notified when these engines are available for purchase. Your voice brought this program to life and I am grateful for that. The entire Cummins team is thrilled with the overwhelmingly positive response from enthusiasts like you from all over the world.

Every day we are asked, “When can I buy the R2.8?” and, “How much will it cost?” While we aren’t quite ready to announce those details yet, I assure you our team is working tirelessly to perfect our R2.8 Turbo Diesel package based on your feedback, in order to live up to your expectations for Cummins quality.

As explained in the formal announcement of Cummins Repower at the 2016 SEMA Show, our start of sales date is dependent upon emissions certification. We will only launch once we can provide customers clear guidance as to which vehicle vintage and weight class our certifications will cover. Cummins Repower’s most important objective is to offer enjoyable, reliable and compliant engines to keep your Repowers on the road or trail for years to come, and eliminate the confusion at the license branch and smog referee.

I have had the distinct pleasure of driving many of our test vehicles thousands of miles in many different configurations over the past several years, and I plan to be first in line to buy one. When it comes to what you would expect from a Cummins, the R2.8 does not disappoint – giving any qualifying vehicle a turbo-charged diesel breath of new life.

There will be a few Cummins R2.8 test vehicles running around at this year’s Easter Jeep Safari and Overland Expo West. We hope you will stop by and check them out. We should have more updates to share by then as well.

Also, tune in to upcoming episodes of Xtreme Off-Road on Power Nation TV to watch as the R2.8 Turbo Diesel is installed into a wildly modified Land Rover Defender 90 by host Ian Johnson.

In the meantime, keep planning your builds, posting on social media using the hashtag #CumminsRepower, and keep the questions coming. See you all in the spring!

Very Respectfully,

Steve Sanders
Business Development Manager
Automotive & Enthusiast Segment
Cummins Inc.

http://app.noreply.cummins.com/e/es?s=1480&e=160300&elq=a465b6858e49453b937ab91073c241bf&elqaid=6500&elqat=1&elqTrackId=dfa63cb061a14f8e9727345c70e9c05f
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:12:06 AM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline JC93YJ

Re: Update on the R2.8 Turbo Diesel
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 07:18:55 AM »
Depending on the pricing, that would be a sweet little conversion. Similar power numbers to a 4bt and 3.3B in a smaller and more lightweight package. And hopefully not as expensive and hard to find as the 3.3B. And with standard SAE flywheel housings, it'll bolt right to an AX15 bellhousing with an adapter. Or if it has an SAE4 housing, the flywheel housing can be redrilled to bolt straight to a 4.0L bellhousing with no adapters.
93 Jeep YJ- 50 Shades of Black.
Stock 2.5....for now

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »
Depending on the pricing, that would be a sweet little conversion. Similar power numbers to a 4bt and 3.3B in a smaller and more lightweight package. And hopefully not as expensive and hard to find as the 3.3B. And with standard SAE flywheel housings, it'll bolt right to an AX15 bellhousing with an adapter. Or if it has an SAE4 housing, the flywheel housing can be redrilled to bolt straight to a 4.0L bellhousing with no adapters.
They were looking to be comparable to LS crates.  I"m gonna guess the EROD crate since that's 50-State as well.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline JC93YJ

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 05:27:27 AM »
If they could have it priced around $8000 for a brand new Cummins diesel and the required adapters and downpipe and charge pipe and be 50 state legal, that would be an excellent package to get into the diesel swap market. Considering even a completely trashed 4bt goes for $2500 in my area. And by trashed I mean you can grab the crank pulley and move the crank foward and backward with the engine completely assembled. And the Common Rail set up on the new diesels makes for easy high power tunability since the fuel systems are so overspeced, as compared to the older mechanical pumps.
Stock 2.5....for now

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:37:01 PM »
I wish they would not target a crate as the yardstick, the equiv HP is not a LS motor like the EROD,

More like the old Ramjet 350 that came with all the toys for install..

I talked to them a couple weeks back and they keep saying 50 state legal,, when I ask how they are going to do it in Oregon where they WILL NOT change the type of fuel on title to diesel from gas, so far I get crickets...
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 11:25:12 PM »
If they could have it priced around $8000 for a brand new Cummins diesel and the required adapters and downpipe and charge pipe and be 50 state legal, that would be an excellent package to get into the diesel swap market. Considering even a completely trashed 4bt goes for $2500 in my area. And by trashed I mean you can grab the crank pulley and move the crank foward and backward with the engine completely assembled. And the Common Rail set up on the new diesels makes for easy high power tunability since the fuel systems are so overspeced, as compared to the older mechanical pumps.
After all of the dieselgate issues, I doubt 50-State certification is the problem with EPA certification.  They also don't want to piecemeal it.

I wish they would not target a crate as the yardstick, the equiv HP is not a LS motor like the EROD,

More like the old Ramjet 350 that came with all the toys for install..

I talked to them a couple weeks back and they keep saying 50 state legal,, when I ask how they are going to do it in Oregon where they WILL NOT change the type of fuel on title to diesel from gas, so far I get crickets...
It's not the same as the ramjet crate though.  It's more like the ERod as it's designed to be a complete package.  It's not purely on HP.  It's the overall stats and performance of the engine.

50-State doesn't mean it's going to be legal in all 50-States but since California is usually the hardest emission-wise so it's a pretty safe way to go.  In CA you can retitle from gas to diesel BUT most of the time DMV will require you to go to the state DOT which can also change it.  They will do a 'Engine change certificate' with a new sticker for the inspection station to scan.

Sounds like you have to talk to your state DOT.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator

Offline JC93YJ

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 04:51:17 PM »
Wow does that fit in their nice.  It looks to be around the same length as the 4.0.  Hopefully someone comes up with a better turbo manifold.  Having all the runners pointed at each other and making that hard 90* bend into the turbo is leaving a bunch of power end efficiency on the table.  Hopefully companies will start making parts for this.

Joe
Stock 2.5....for now

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 08:21:38 PM »
After all of the dieselgate issues, I doubt 50-State certification is the problem with EPA certification.  They also don't want to piecemeal it.
It's not the same as the ramjet crate though.  It's more like the ERod as it's designed to be a complete package.  It's not purely on HP.  It's the overall stats and performance of the engine.

50-State doesn't mean it's going to be legal in all 50-States but since California is usually the hardest emission-wise so it's a pretty safe way to go.  In CA you can retitle from gas to diesel BUT most of the time DMV will require you to go to the state DOT which can also change it.  They will do a 'Engine change certificate' with a new sticker for the inspection station to scan.

Sounds like you have to talk to your state DOT.

In the emails they insist the CARB registry will be all 50 US states... I know what ya mean,, its funny to me they hold CA up as the "tough" state, Heck ,, as long as you do your homework they will give you a path to success, Oregon just says NO ,, and now they are talking about same OEM source only, so a Jeep would have to have a Jeep motor. Well see how it goes.. I'm eligible for special purpose plates when I renew the next time which should get me out of the emissions checks.. May go outlaw at that point.. ;)

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline JC93YJ

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »
In the emails they insist the CARB registry will be all 50 US states... I know what ya mean,, its funny to me they hold CA up as the "tough" state, Heck ,, as long as you do your homework they will give you a path to success, Oregon just says NO ,, and now they are talking about same OEM source only, so a Jeep would have to have a Jeep motor. Well see how it goes.. I'm eligible for special purpose plates when I renew the next time which should get me out of the emissions checks.. May go outlaw at that point.. ;)

What if you scratch the Cummins badges off and write "Jeep" on there? It would technically have a Jeep motor at that point  :stick:
Stock 2.5....for now

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 09:38:25 PM »
:) Rigs like my 94 YJ still have to do the sniffer test. in Oregon, the upside is only our metro areas count, so I might just end up with it licensed at a buddies address elsewhere.. We shall see.. havent heard anything from them lately..