Author Topic: Future engine swap.... maybe...  (Read 2402 times)

/dev/null

Future engine swap.... maybe...
« on: May 22, 2006, 06:30:01 PM »
I've got a '00 TJ with the 4cyl. engine in it. I'm considering an engine swap in the next year or so, and want to get as much info ahead of time as possible.
I know one option is the 4.0. It's a sure fit, and is as close to plug-n-play as I'm gonna get.
Option 2 is a V8 from DC. Maybe a Hemi. Still a (fairly) easy install, and works here in CA(Smog Nazis).
Option 3 would be the 3.7l v6 out of the Liberty. Has this been attempted? Also, how durable is that engine, and how much of an upgrade would it be?
Option 4, which would be the 'fun' pick, is to drop a modular 4.6l Ford into it. Tons of fab and wiring, but would be waaaay different when it's done.

If anyone has other suggestions or hints/tips, let me know. As far as CA rules go, the TJ is classified as a 'light truck' so any '00 or newer engine, along with all of it's pollution control, from a 'light truck' is valid for a swap. I know other engines are possible, but I'm gonna hold off on them for now. I know the 4.6L, as my T-Bird has one. The other 3 options will give me a nice, CA smog legal ride with minimal adaptation (I hope)

Peter M

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 08:25:08 PM »
Well, it's a real PITA to do engine swaps in CA.  Expect to do a lot of fabing no matter what you install.  Although a 4.0L would clearly be the easiest.  Basically you'd need everything from the donor Jeep.

Swapping in a V6 or V8 would be a lot fo work and a bunch of headache's.  You're already going to have to get everything looked over by a Referee station to make sure everything's Kosher.

Luckily, you have ODBII so swapping in a ODBII engine is easier.  Here's a short list of what you'll need though.  4.0L engine, brakets.  You can reuse some of your 2.5L accessories.  You'll need the transmission from the engine.  The 2.5L transmission won't hold up not will it bolt up.  So you might as well get a matched pair.  Meaning a set that came form the factory together.  You'll need to get the radiator. 4.0L's have an extra core.  Engine harness will be required.  You'll want the computer from the donor also.  I believe you'll also want a new gauge cluster since the tack's are usually different.  You'll need the exhaust to the headpipe.  It should bolt right up to your existing cat which makes things a lot simplier.

Once it's all done, you take it to the referee station and they will reissue you a new VIN so the SMOG station will know what's in it.  that's it in a nutshell.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

/dev/null

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:33:34 AM »
Yeah... being in CA is going to make it real fun. :?
I figured that anything other than the 2.5l will require a new tranny, and probably something other than the D35 once the torque #s go up. Dropping in a late model V8(modular 4.6, Gen III LS1, or Hemi) just sounds like a fun ride. I know, I have a strange idea of fun...
The hardest part about one of those swaps, is that the SoCal smoggers require that the tranny was originally hooked up to the type of engine going in.
Does anyone have any comments about the Jeep 3.7L V6, or is that engine just a waste of time?

Peter M

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 12:03:50 PM »
I would think the Hemi would be the most expensive and most difficult to install.  Having it able to run on 4 cylinders would be a plus though.

Although if I was going to go exotic I think I'd still install an old LX5 'ShortStar'. The LX5 displaced 3.5 L and produced 215 hp and 230 ft·lbs.  It was sorta built from scratch but took a lot of stuff from the V8 Northstar engine.  It was a small package that had a low of perfromance.

Initially, before you take it in to get Smogged for the first time, you will be required to take it to a Referee station that I mentioned above.  This is where they will go over it with a fine toothed comb.  You do not need the same transmission that was originally mated to it.  You do however need the same type of transmission that the PCM is designed for.  So if the donor was a auto, you have to stick with an auto unless you swap the PCM.  On older vehicles this isn't really a problem since they transmissions aren't computer controlled anyway.

I wouldn't go with a 3.7L for a few reasons.  It's only used in the KJ so finding one would be a bit difficult.  Since it's only used on one platform, a salvage yard might charge more.

Also, what makes it harder is that if you have a CA emissioned vehicle you have to use a CA emissioned donor.  I believe if you brought the vehicle in from out of state you can use an out of state donor.  (I'm not 100% on that though.)
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

j-freak153

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 09:42:49 PM »
i saw a pic of a cj with a viper v-10 in it....woulda been crazy...go with the Hemi if you can...just for the cool factor if nothing else 8)

/dev/null

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 12:27:52 AM »
Yeah, I just like the idea of a late model V8 under the hood. The V10 would be a bit too over-the-top for even me.  I'm not looking for crazy HP numbers, so a V8 that's been tuned-down would be nice. Solid performance, as well as better gas milage. Plus, I wouldn't have to put 91 octane in it (like my other car).
...and it would just look cool.  :D
The only thing I'm realizing, is most of the existing drivetrain will need to be beefed up or replaced. I'll be doubling the HP or better. Let's see... what would break- rear axle and tranny definitely... Is the transfer case strong enough? (anyone?) I'd also need to help out the D30 up front. It'll be a whole bunch of work, that's for sure. As well as $$$.
I'll probably do a good bit of salvage yard scrounging. Find one of the new 6-speeds... I dunno...

Peter M

lutzke21

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 05:40:30 PM »
You can get everything you need out of a nicely stroked 4.0L.  Take it out to 4.5, 4.6, (or higher if your crazy/rich enough).  Whatever you choose, the cool thing is you can take your time building it, cause that 4banger ain't never gonna die.