Author Topic: Diff fluid on the inside of my drum  (Read 1961 times)

01amberfirewv

Diff fluid on the inside of my drum
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »
I decided to put my D35 truss on today (YJ tusses don't fit TJ's though :evil: but thats a different thread).  So I lifted the rear end off of the ground and stuck a magent on the diff cover and started spinning the tires.  I noticed that my pass tire is so off balance that it shook my Jeep.  When I crawled under the Jeep I noticed some diff fluid on the inside of the drum but cant tell where its coming from.  Is there some type of seal that could have gone bad?

SMC4WD

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 09:57:47 PM »
Yup....   that's exactly it.  There's a wheel seal just on the inside of the brake backing plate.  I'm guessing if that seal is blown it doesn't take much to fix it.  I had a bad seal on my rear axle and a little silicone fixed it fairly cheaply.  

It you can't do it yourself, or that seal is destroyed beyond repair...  Look at those outer wheel bearings too...  What the heck, your in that deep, might as well replace all that you can, while you can.  ;)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 10:27:10 PM »
First thing to do is determine if the wobble in the tire is from the tire or if it's the axle shaft. The shaft can be bent at the bearing and still work but wobble.  There is a axle seal at the end of the axle tube which is what's leaking.  Probably leaked into your brake drum and if the shoe is soaked, you better replace the pad, while you're at it.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

SMC4WD

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 11:09:38 PM »
Yeah, but Jeffy brought up a point i neglected to mention.  If you axle is bent, or your housing (notorious for the D35) then you'll keep going through axle seals or bearing at record pace ($$$).  So you might want to check those two things out and make sure one or both aren't bent.

01amberfirewv

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 07:50:43 AM »
I am pretty sure its the tire.  My tires came square from NTW and never have been true even with 25 oz on two of them.  I guess when I am changing the seal I can check out the shaft and see if it is bent or not though

01amberfirewv

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 08:52:59 PM »
here are a few pics

How hard is it to replace the seal?  Can I get a new one @ NAPA or Advanced?  Will I need any special tools?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 09:07:51 PM »
The seal should be just inside of the end of the axle tube.  You'll need to drain the diff, pull the center in which locks the C-clips in then take the drum off and push the axle in.  This means the sipder gears will come out and the thrust washers that go behind them.  The axle will move 1" or so and give you enough room to get he C-clip out.  Pull the C-clip and the shaft should come right out.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

01amberfirewv

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 07:38:45 AM »
A few club members said it could also be the wheel cylender.  I'll have to do another scratch and sniff test before I do any work but how hard is it to change that?