Author Topic: trying to get into a jeep and need some help  (Read 1585 times)

workahloic

trying to get into a jeep and need some help
« on: July 11, 2005, 05:15:10 PM »
Ok, here is my situation. I have found this 94 xj cherokee that the body, interior are great as well as the 5spd tranny and 4wd transfer case but it has a blown 2.5L (threw a rod). I am very interested in purchasing the jeep but have heard on JU.com that the 2.5L is a bit anemic (no offense) so since this is what you all specialize in i thought i thought i would ask you all of this forum first. The main intent of the jeep would be a daily driver/wheelin rig to go out with some toyota friends that i have with my dog. this cherokee seemed to be the perfect fit for my needs. but the concern that i have is would this jeep be capable of keeping with the toyota guys? i have seen a couple lifts that i like, one being a 6.5" rough country lift or a 5.5" rubicon express lift. either one appeared to be high quality parts and have everything that i needed to install it. so since this motor has thrown a rod and I have found some other 2.5L motors for pretty cheap all be it they need work themselves (re: on has a very low comp on one piston and is $525) this brings me to a question what should i do for a motor if i were to purchase this jeep? I have read that the 4.0L swap is a difficult swap due to that the firewall has to be changed as well as the tranny and many other parts. I dont intend on trying to win any competitions with the jeep just be able to go out in the woods, have some fun with my yota buddies and not have too hard of a time keeping up with them. what are you all's thoughts? Since the motor would be already out of the jeep what could i do to it for it to "up to snuff"? and hang with the yota guys?

Thanks
Tom Wilson

PS: a little bit of my background, i'm come from a very large BMW club (DTMPOWER.net) where in my chapter (PNW) I have become the resident mechanic and have built a very custom turbocharged 1994 318i that is very near completion. so i'm not afraid to swap some stuff out if it works better over the life of the vehicle.

StefanBidi

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 05:33:47 PM »
Just a FYI, the 2.5L will never be a 4.0L.  Now that we have that out of the way, the 2.5L is a very stout engine for it's size.  It'll make power out of idle and has lots of potential.  Right now, with just a few basic mods, I'm pushing 31" tires on stock gearing and can still get going from second gear.  It likes to be at low speeds, so don't expect to go 75mph on the highway.  I usually keep mine under 65mph, which seems to be a good speed and the engine isn't reving too much.

With the right gearing and axles, it can push some fairly big tires.  You mentioned you were looking at those 5.5" lift and some bigger tires.  Well, the tires that require that much lift won't be easy on the stock axles, specially the rear (but this will be a problem with both 2.5L and 4.0L), so you'll need to upgrade that (lots of info here).  Gearing pretty much depends on what size you're turning, and we can help you out with that.

The 4.0L swap really isn't very viable (at least I don't think so).  You're looking at a complete engine/tranny/t-case swap.  Not saying it can't be done, just saying it'll be too much work and money for something that you could have gotten the first time around.  If you get the 2.5L, stick with it.

The Cherokee shouldn't have any problems hanging with the Yota guys.  Chances are you'll have a just as built truck than them for less $$ since there's so much aftermarket for Jeeps out there.  Check DPG Offroad, the owner himself has an XJ, so there's lots of stuff for cheap there.

workahloic

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 05:53:05 PM »
StefanBidi,
      Thanks for the fast reply and the info!!! i have no intention of thinking that the 2.5L will be a 4.0L in power/tq all though just out of curiosity wouldn't you have to swap the wiring harness and computer as well as everything else youy listed? based on your info it sounds like this jeep should work just great for going wheelin with my buddies. any recomendations for where to start with it? like i said i was looking at the lift and some tires but honestly this will be my first experience with anything 4wd and thus am totally new to the game and ready to be taught!!

Thanks a ton
Tom

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 06:30:53 PM »
Since most toyota's are using a small 2.2L, I douby you'll have any trouble keeping up with the right gears.  Many rockcrawler Toy's run a EFI 2.2L and 37's with 5.38 gears.  With the right gears, you can do anything.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."