Author Topic: Cold Weather Battery  (Read 2359 times)

87AMC_YJ

Cold Weather Battery
« on: August 22, 2006, 02:50:23 PM »
My '87 YJ with the stock 150 will be spending the winter in Laramie, WY this year.  I understand it gets pretty darn cold there.  I will have a block heater and battery heater ready to go, but would be interested in any inputs as to what brand of battery or specifications I should be looking to replace my 3 y/o K-mart special with.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 05:04:14 PM »
I really like Optima's and other batteries that don't use water.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

SMC4WD

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 05:49:44 PM »
That was my vote too.  Optima red top...   The deep cycles (yellow top) are good, but they have a memory.  So if you don't drain it down all the way, it seems to forget it's maximum discharge amount.

Guardian7

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 07:10:26 PM »
Optima Red tops are awesome!, and you dont get the corrosion on the clamps either, they can mount in any position and will last for years even when you run them dead and recharge. I met a guy on my last trail run who told me his was 7 years old and still crankin!

GreenBayjeeper

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 07:53:42 PM »
I know I'm gonna jinx myself, but it gets pretty cold here in Green Bay too, and I've never had battery problems.  I had a few close calls, but the only non-starting issues I had were solenoids on the starter freezing.  I had to use a screwdriver across the polls to get it going.
I had the stock battery for 4 years without problems (in the winter) until it got too hot and  my radio ran it dead.
Now I have some cheap thing that was in a buddies garage.  No problems.
Knock on wood.

SMC4WD

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:01:35 PM »
Consider yourself lucky.  Stock batteries are really only designed to last a few years...  Enough to sell a rig and keep it on the streets for a few years.  So I hope i'm not jinxing you either, but...  start saving....

By the way, if there is a G.I. Joes anywhere near you guys, check out their prices.  Best I've seen.  :thumb:

BlackYJ

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 11:21:19 AM »
Up here in Alberta where we get -20-25 degrees Celsuis in the winter quite often and I have never had a problem with batteries (stock or upgrade).  A block heater is all you need.

Jesse-James

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 04:33:49 PM »
I'm in WI too and have had no starting problems in winter. Keep my jumper pack with me just in case though.

BigSkyYJ

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 09:45:59 AM »
I'm up in Billings, MT and my vote is also for the Optima Red Top.  My 'stock' battery that came up from Phoenix in July 2004 finally ate it a few months ago, but did have some definite trouble starting in sub-freezing temps, and the Optima will be king.  Both my YJ and my wife's 98 XJ have them and I have no worries about CCA, even if the temps do get below -23F again this winter.

kenny kustom

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:50:01 PM »
i live in manitoba. Last winter i think it got down to -42 celcius. I vote for the yellow  top. Reds arent meant to be discharged over and over agin. Optima will not warrenty a red top used in a high and long dischage situation, thats why they make the yellow top deep cycle. I also just put on a circulation heater for the coolant.  1500 watts.

Offline chardrc

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 08:56:50 PM »
ya optina are good and i think they have a good warenty.. or maybe that was a different battery... anyways i have an old diehard in my jeep that surprizingly hasnt gone bad yet.. but whe  it does ill get a optima..

speacking of cold.. i sleeped under the stars with nothing but a sleeping bag and a tarp at -38 degrees feinhit... so cold.... but i did it... the crazy things i do in boyscouts.... it would have been worth it is we could have driven our jeeps on the trails......
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

SMC4WD

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 02:01:56 PM »
Quote from: "chardrc"
ya optina are good and i thin kthey have a good warenty.. or maybe that was a different battery... anyways i have an old diehard in ym jeep that surprizingly hasnt gone bas yet.. but whe  it does ill get a optima..

speacking of cold.. i sleped uped the stars with nothing but a sleeping bad and a tarp at -38 degrees feinhit... so cold.... but i did it... the crazy things i do in boyscouts.... it would ahve been worth it is we could ahve driven our jeeps on the trails......

:roflol:  :english:  :roflol:
(I'm only kidding you again...)

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 05:41:41 PM »
+ 1 for the Optima red top. I'm saving my pennies for one myself.
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 05:49:01 PM »
Quote from: "SMC4WD"

:roflol:  :english:  :roflol:
(I'm only kidding you again...)

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Jesse-James

Cold Weather Battery
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 09:24:47 PM »
Hey, Hey, Hey...It's Mushmouth!