Author Topic: Getting started / over all plan  (Read 2728 times)

Taz

Getting started / over all plan
« on: August 24, 2006, 01:18:19 PM »
OK thought after a few days I would move my ignorance out of the introduction area and display it here.  As I posted in the intro I just aquired a stock 1988 YJ.  Never done much mechancial stuff so any advise you will have to type really slow so I can understand.  Mozman showed posted a picture of his before and after and I was hooked and ready to start spending house payments on this thing.  So here is the what I want to end up with.

Super looking machine.  Like to maintaine decent road drivabilty.  A few up grades to lessen the chance of getting stuck or ripping stuff off when I do end up in a mud hole.  I do not anticipate doing much on the rocks.  I live in Minnesota so being able to drive the thing in the snow for nine or tem months a year is a plus.  The Jeep needs a paint job (mostly because I do not like the color).

So in plain english a carpenter can understand--where would you guys start.  Cosmetics, interiors, mechanical and drive train.  I am intrusting the whole project to the advice you guys give me.   Do I need to match gears, and axles to tires...I would perfer to get the right equipment from the start and end up with a machine I do not have to worry about.  I am not much of a salvage shopper or rebuilder, so the equipment would hopfully beable to fit from the box.

All input is greatly appreciated as is your patience while you train in yet another rookie.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 04:14:14 PM »
I'd first start off making sure the Jeep is up and running 97%.  That's the biggest problem when starting a project.  You'll spend money on other things and when something major goes wrong they throw in the towel.

I also recommend driving it.  Get a lot of wheel time and you'll know what you'll need for the places you want to go.  It's nice when people recommend things but if you don't have much wheel time, you won't really know what difference it made if at all.

Ask a bunch of questions is key.  Read up on teh stuff on the FAQ and the other area's.  Search then come back with questions.

For started though.  A First Aid kit, tow hooks, tow strap, Hi-lift jack, basic tools.  Always go out in a group.  It sucks getting stuck or breaking and you're miles away from anyone and you have to hike it back.  I'd leave cosmetic stuff alone until you're done or close to done.  You might just end up covering the body with panels anyway.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

chrisfranklin

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 05:16:23 PM »
Build your YJ so it can reach its fullest potential off-road:

http://www.4bangerjp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1766

:lol:

Offline chardrc

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 06:05:48 PM »
what jeefy said.. i have a 90 yj and when i got it well i got it for free cuz the brakes when out of it on the freeway.... but other than the brakes being shot.. every ujiont on tthe thing whas shot and wating for an excuse to brake.. so check everything in you drive trail and makesure its not worn out... also sinse its a yj.. (this is my yj pet pive) the springs and shocks are proably shot unless the previous owner replaced them.. every yj ive seen except for mine in 3 months has had wornout springs that are strait acros with no curv :cry: ....

2nd where in mn do ya live... i live in the southwest metro... maybe we could go wheeling sometime......

goodluck.... and hopefully you can get it to be how you want it to be.. eventualy..
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Taz

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 07:52:34 PM »
Thanks for the input. I don't think throwing in the towel is an option.  Truth be told I have wanted a Jeep since I was 14--which was a long time ago, and now my oldest son is 16 and pretty exited about the whole deal, although he was a bit more exited about the Corvette.
I am in Big Lake--30 or 40 miles the other side of the cities.  Would enjoy getting out with some folks up here so let me know where and when.  

I will spend due diligence in the tech area--Thanks

Offline chardrc

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 08:55:19 PM »
hmm so you live up there.. thats near were i got my 4wheeler..  ill have to keep that in mind if i go offroading...
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline jagular7

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 09:34:46 PM »
Second Jeffy. Hands on, behind the wheel, and with others are all what wheeling is all about. Gaining technical knowledge of your vehicle, getting your hands dirty gains your the experience, and with a group comes comradery as well as giving hell - all fun.

Get busy.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

SMC4WD

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 02:10:57 PM »
And so I'll pipe in with the general maintenance thing first, too...  But when replacing those items, such as u-joints and drivelines, try to look around what you're fixing...  Because you might find something stronger or more sophisticated to put in place.

Lockers get you stuck, winches get you unstuck.  Tow points and good quality recovery equipment are a must.  CB too!  

Look ahead into the future as to how you want it built and where you want to take it.  Look at the rock buggies and Chris Franklins rig (:P).  Get the idea of what you want to do from what others have done.  

As 10 Jeep guys for a suggestion, you’ll get 15 different opinions.  Another great thing about a Jeep product is, if you buy it, try it, and don’t like it…  Take it off and sell it.  Any Jeep product is a commodity, and will be of value to someone.  

Good luck!!

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
Re: Getting started / over all plan
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:11:46 AM »
i second the guys who have suggested getting behind the wheel. do some all around driving, highway, in town, and get some wheeling done with it as it (provided it's mechanically sound) going with other jeeps will give you a perspective of the level your vehicle should/could be at.  Once you get an idea of what it is on your vehicle you want to change, come back here and look through the member's set ups and get some ideas and of course ask questions.  companies such as quadratec (www.quadratec.com) offer tons of parts geared especially for jeeps-though i recomend only checking their web site out for ideas-if ya find a part you like-get it on ebay-quadratec tends to be pricey on a lot of things-but their free magazines and web site providing pics and stuff sure give ya an idea of what you may wanna do. 
but first take a ride in it for a week or two-and def try and  find some jeeps to wheel with in that period of time-it would help if one of em was a bit built up.thats how the jeep bug bit me-i went out stock with a group of built of jeeps and saw how they did on the trail and how i was doing-then i joined this forum.
good luck man
-stan
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:00:48 AM »
good luck man
-stan
oh Stan
 :roflol:  :roflol:   :roflol:
hint: read the date of the post  (August 25, 2006) :guns:

PS: got flamed too on one of these so just passing it forward  :blbl:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »
I also recommend driving the Jeep, but I do recommend you do a complete maintenance to it beforehand; you really do not know what the previous owner did or did not do in this department, so better to be sure.  You can also (as already mentioned) look for improved parts while you are at it.  For example, if you are going to change the ignition system (plugs, cables, rotor, cap) as you would in a regular tune up, you may want to look at a Performance Distributor's setup and change the coil while you are at it (depending on your mileage, it may be due for a change anyway), and gain a better ignition system in the process. 

I would also replace all the oils and liquids (engine oil, transmission oil - recommend Redline MT90 here, transfer case oil, differential oil, brake flush, coolant flush, etc.) to be sure that they are up to par, as well as changing the belt.  I dont know how many miles your Jeep has, but depending on this, it may need a new cat (if so, it would be a good time to upgrade to a high flow cat).

As mentioned before, check all U-Joints on your driveline, and if necessary, replace them (they are not so expensive, and you can upgrade here as well; you can also choose between greasable and sealed, and of you ask about which is better, you are likely to stirr up a debate here, so I recommend you read about both and make up your own decision).

After this, you can start doing upgrades as you see fit.  There are a couple of projects here that you can follow (as you mentioned, Moz's build is one of them, but there are many others; you can see mine here and see how it has evolved over the past 3 years if you want) and get some ideas as to what you want your rig to end up.

I think you do have asomehting clear and this will save you many headaches; you are going straight for what you want, and not cheaping out.  This will save you from buying what you can afford at the moment and then having to replace that just because you did not buy what you wanted in the first place, which is another way to say, it's better sometimes to wait, save up, and get what you really want in the first place.

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 12:23:53 PM »
I also recommend driving the Jeep, but I do recommend you do a complete maintenance to it beforehand; you really do not know what the previous owner did or did not do in this department, so better to be sure.  You can also (as already mentioned) look for improved parts while you are at it.  For example, if you are going to change the ignition system (plugs, cables, rotor, cap) as you would in a regular tune up, you may want to look at a Performance Distributor's setup and change the coil while you are at it (depending on your mileage, it may be due for a change anyway), and gain a better ignition system in the process. 

I would also replace all the oils and liquids (engine oil, transmission oil - recommend Redline MT90 here, transfer case oil, differential oil, brake flush, coolant flush, etc.) to be sure that they are up to par, as well as changing the belt.  I dont know how many miles your Jeep has, but depending on this, it may need a new cat (if so, it would be a good time to upgrade to a high flow cat).

As mentioned before, check all U-Joints on your driveline, and if necessary, replace them (they are not so expensive, and you can upgrade here as well; you can also choose between greasable and sealed, and of you ask about which is better, you are likely to stirr up a debate here, so I recommend you read about both and make up your own decision).

After this, you can start doing upgrades as you see fit.  There are a couple of projects here that you can follow (as you mentioned, Moz's build is one of them, but there are many others; you can see mine here and see how it has evolved over the past 3 years if you want) and get some ideas as to what you want your rig to end up.

I think you do have asomehting clear and this will save you many headaches; you are going straight for what you want, and not cheaping out.  This will save you from buying what you can afford at the moment and then having to replace that just because you did not buy what you wanted in the first place, which is another way to say, it's better sometimes to wait, save up, and get what you really want in the first place.

Felipe

it's either i'm in a time-warp worm-hole of some sort or you and Stan must've been out partying late last night  :beer:  :wine:  :smokes:
 :blbl:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 12:30:42 PM »
After the maintenance, go real old-school.  Skid plates for everything, rock sliders, 31 inch tires, and a winch. Then get out and use it off road.  A stock Jeep is capable enough that you won't even believe what you are doing at times.  Then later you can build it for the actual use it is getting.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 12:34:31 PM »
After the maintenance, go real old-school.  Skid plates for everything, rock sliders, 31 inch tires, and a winch. Then get out and use it off road.  A stock Jeep is capable enough that you won't even believe what you are doing at times.  Then later you can build it for the actual use it is getting.

ok, i must be missing something here (maybe just didn't have enough coffee yet): to whom are you guys replying to on this thread?  ???

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »
ok, i must be missing something here (maybe just didn't have enough coffee yet): to whom are you guys replying to on this thread?  ???

The orignal poster: Taz.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch