Author Topic: Tcase skid plate  (Read 1464 times)

Liljeepz

Tcase skid plate
« on: October 08, 2006, 08:40:32 PM »
What is the best way to remove the T case skid plate?
I put a huge dent in it and raised my trans at least an inch, and I now have drive line vibrations again. :(
If I remove it I should be able to pound it out with a sludge hammer and that will tide me over tell next spring when I can get a new one before I start wheeling again.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Tcase skid plate
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 09:10:19 PM »
You want to support the transfer case with a floor jack.  Unbolt the transfer case from the skid then unbolt the skid from the frame.  It's fairly easy.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jagular7

Tcase skid plate
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 09:20:04 AM »
If you bent the skid plate that much, you'll won't be able to sledge it flat. You will probably will have to drive over it with another vehicle or take it to a shop to press it. A shop could probably use the hydraulic hoist when it comes back down on it. You could also use some 4x4 to place the point of the weight where you need it exactly.
Got any pics of the incident. I've gone through your 258 pics from your trip and didn't see really where you could have gotten it.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

dloc26

Tcase skid plate
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 12:14:18 PM »
Removing the skid plate is not hard at all. ive had to replace my transmission mount to the skidplate twice now. there are four bolts that mount the trans to the skid, remove those first. then there are 6 bolts in all 3 on each side mounting the skid to the frame. just make sure your able to raise your drivetrain before you drop the skid. i was able to hold mine up at the TC output shaft with a floor jack. easy enough.

Liljeepz

Tcase skid plate
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 03:38:04 PM »
I've gone through your 258 pics from your trip and didn't see really where you could have gotten it.

I dout there is a pic of where I did it, It was on the last trail I was on, I should not have even been on that trail but no one know how bad it had got tell it was to late and I could not turn around, I can't bleave I was able to make it thro it with only 2 tows. Its a blurry pic, but I think i did it here
This Pic
Look at my drive line and where my wheel will drop and where my skid will be... :oops: Picturers do not do any good to show you what the trail was realy like. It was a lot worce than you can see in those. Going to pull it off now and see what I can do.

Jesse-James

Tcase skid plate
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 03:47:11 PM »
Was that by chance the cooter trail?

Liljeepz

Tcase skid plate
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 05:53:57 PM »
no. I think it was trail 10... not 100% on that tho.
I bypassed cooter's trail... It was fun watching cooter go down cooter trail!

Anyways, I was able to drop the skid plate and pound it back to its shape.
I think its weeker now so by next spring I will replace it. Thanks for the info. Even if it sounds like I'm asking a dumb question, I always ask before I do something I have never done.

Jesse-James

Tcase skid plate
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 11:55:51 PM »
No dumb questions in my book.

Sounds like an opportunity to upgrade to me. Maybe a belly up skid and a SYE? :lol:

Liljeepz

Tcase skid plate
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 04:36:35 PM »
Sounds like an opportunity to upgrade to me. Maybe a belly up skid and a SYE?

I thought about that, but I'm going to do that when I get my next lift.
No point in spending money on a cv when I'm going to need another longer one in a year or so.

Jesse-James

Tcase skid plate
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 10:34:54 PM »
If that's the case then I say boneyard it if you feel it's necessary to replace it.

Woodyhfd

Tcase skid plate
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 06:49:05 PM »
I just replaced mine. It got whacked and took out the t-case and the front driveshaft's CV joint. I thought that I would be able to straighten it with a sledge, too, until I took it off. It's too thick and it has a stamped crossmember in the center.

I got one out of a junkyard for $65. If they pulled the engine, tranny and t-case, chances are that the skid plate just laying in the back of the Jeep. Mention that to the guy at the junkyard and the price may come down since they just have to go out and pick it up.

I used a motorcycle jack to lower and raise mine, which was really nice. The job could have been done without it but the jack made it much, much easier. You'll also need to support the tranny with another jack or something as the trans mount attaches to the skid. The back of the trans and transfer case will drop WAY down without support, pivoting down on the engine mounts.

Liljeepz

Tcase skid plate
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 05:26:05 PM »
O it pounded out very nicely, only took about 15 mins and a few 2x4's and some bricks.... its almost like new, I am afraid its weaker than before and don't want to do more damage if i hit it again.