Author Topic: 2.5 vs 2.4 engine  (Read 19478 times)

wrangler387

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 04:20:42 PM »
Well thats two personal experiences, definately put to shame my hopes  :lol:  its sad that the motor got weaker :( I guess i was just hoping for something better  :cry:  O well, i'm happy with my 2.5L, and later this winter i'll hopefully be a lot happier.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 04:45:06 PM »
Quote from: "mud4feet"
6000 rpm?? :shock: !!! My tach ('03 2.4) redlines about 5500. When she's crankin' 4500, I can tell I better be shifting. Where'd that 6000 number come from??

BTW - Wife's '94 2.5 feels like it's got lots more power than my 2.4.............probably the aforementioned low-end torque.

Whoops!  Peak Torque is at 4000 while peak HP is 5,200rpm.  I screwed that one right up. :roll:

In any case the 2.4L probably wasn't used because it's a better engine.  It was used because it was expensive for DCX to keep making the 4.0l and 2.5L which are only used in the Jeep Wrangler line-up only.  The KJ had used the 2.4L from the start so it was fairly easy to swap the drivetrain into the TJ.

I still think the 2.4L will have more options for mods then the 2.5L ever will since it is shared over so many platforms.  Especially the Neon/PT Cruiser.  Although with the Neon replaced with the Caliber only the SRT4 is available now from what I understand.  Although that used the same engine too as well as the Patriot and Compass so hopefully there will be more performance parts for them available.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

wrangler387

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 04:55:50 PM »
We'll see, i hope there is still a few companies who will be R&D products for the 2.4, but if the motor isn't going to be in any performance vehicles then the products won't get near as much R&D into them.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »
Quote from: "wrangler387"
We'll see, i hope there is still a few companies who will be R&D products for the 2.4, but if the motor isn't going to be in any performance vehicles then the products won't get near as much R&D into them.

I don't think finding performance parts for the 2.4L will be a problem at all.  They already have a lot of stuff since the SRT4 is still popular.  I wonder if they'll make a SRT version of the Caliber?

I doubt there will be much for the 2.5L unless people DIY stuff themselves though.  A Turbo 2.5L would be pretty cool though.  Looking for 2.5L parts is almost as hard as looking for a Mac game. :lol1:
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

JeepersCreepers

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 06:33:10 PM »
Get this months issue of JP magazine & read the write up :Scrappy The Wonder Jeep The hot rod 'banger TJ  . Neat little Turbo on a 2.4L ................................................ :D

Tall Boy

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 07:35:55 PM »
She had a stick as well. It was right after they came out with the 2.4L so I guess it was a 2003 model. I was kind of messing with her a bit to get her attention , but she took off pretty fast, fast enough where I figured she was faster than I anyway. She was good and pissed I suppose , or just scared of my size. I don't know, it may have been the superhuman strength thing. I may have had the crack on my manifold then, not too sure about it. But I figured since she had the 3:73's , she would get the longer shifts and red line out slower than me. So all the time she was faster. Mind y'all this was in the dead center of downtown where many cops hang out. So I was not too serious, but I did want to witness her gearing stretch opposed to mine.
    One thing I don't do anymore is race my Jeep. The shifting is smoother now, less wear on my pistons and such. I have lost too many races to know where I belong in my Jeep. For the most part I just antagonize the race cars on the road every so often.  It's kind of funny when I pull up to a Corvette or something like that and rev my motor a few times. I even challenged some ricers once and they took me seriously, passed me up like I was standing still. :roflol:

dunklervogel

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 08:06:53 PM »
My 2.5 has a nice kick to it at the start.. obviously the faster things get the slower the jeep becomes but I've learned to live with it .. its a jeep not a racecar.  

While I had my jeep in the shop I got to drive an 03' chevy tahoe with the 5.3l vortec v8 .. man is that thing quick for being a 6500 lb monster

I'd like to drop that engine into my 3200 lb TJ and see how it goes!

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2006, 08:33:28 PM »
Quote from: "Tall Boy"
She had a stick as well. It was right after they came out with the 2.4L so I guess it was a 2003 model. I was kind of messing with her a bit to get her attention , but she took off pretty fast, fast enough where I figured she was faster than I anyway. She was good and pissed I suppose , or just scared of my size. I don't know, it may have been the superhuman strength thing. I may have had the crack on my manifold then, not too sure about it. But I figured since she had the 3:73's , she would get the longer shifts and red line out slower than me. So all the time she was faster. Mind y'all this was in the dead center of downtown where many cops hang out. So I was not too serious, but I did want to witness her gearing stretch opposed to mine.
    One thing I don't do anymore is race my Jeep. The shifting is smoother now, less wear on my pistons and such. I have lost too many races to know where I belong in my Jeep. For the most part I just antagonize the race cars on the road every so often.  It's kind of funny when I pull up to a Corvette or something like that and rev my motor a few times. I even challenged some ricers once and they took me seriously, passed me up like I was standing still. :roflol:

If it was a '03 she had 4.11's and with stock tires, they are quick.  Still, a 2.5L manual with 4.11's and 30's shot not have been left behind.  Maybe you were grabbing for the wrong stick. :uhoh:  :whistle:

Tall Boy

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2006, 09:24:11 PM »
Purple Haze.

wrangler387

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 11:15:16 PM »
Quote from: "Jeffy"

I don't think finding performance parts for the 2.4L will be a problem at all.  They already have a lot of stuff since the SRT4 is still popular.  I wonder if they'll make a SRT version of the Caliber?

I doubt there will be much for the 2.5L unless people DIY stuff themselves though.  A Turbo 2.5L would be pretty cool though.  Looking for 2.5L parts is almost as hard as looking for a Mac game. :lol1:

Is the caliber going to retain the same motor and everything? i figured it would be more of a whole new car (I really havn't looked into it at all). If they stick with the 2.4L then I do expect a SRT4 version. Even though there is a lot, there is always people out there slowly finding little things that make more of a difference, but if the platform ever gets replaced then the efforts stop. between cams, headers, intake manifolds, pistons, rods, there are a lot of ways to make extra power... If you look at hondas they have TONs of stuff (hundreds of header designs, all of which serve different purposes, same for intake manifolds, cams etc.), but everything has shifted over to the newer K series motors.

I agree that finding stuff for the 2.5L is hard... I'd like to find some forged pistons and rods a little down the road to put into the spare motor i picked up. The amount of people who have boosted the 2.5L is very small, and the ones who have dont seem to be pushing it to much. I'm going to be starting at 6psi, that is what the spring in my tial is... I'd be further along in my efforts but work, school and my girlfriend have me tied up too much. I'm hoping this winter break to start fabricating stuff. I've pretty much collected everything I need now.

YJmechanic

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2006, 07:47:57 AM »
the caliber does not use the same motor but i think it is a variation of the same motor.  also the srt4 is no longer produced but they are making a srt4 caliber.  again not the same motor.  although the compass does use the same motor as far as i know.  so you may be able to rely on that for aftermarket support.  

forged pistons for 2.5- York tool warehouse  York,PA
its where i got mine

wrangler387

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2006, 08:56:30 AM »
I figured they would change the motor since it's a whole new car. wonder how similar it is.

but does york they have forged rods too? I'd hate to buy forged pistons and then increase the boost and have my rods go. I know i could get custom forged pistons pretty easily, i've gotten custom wiseco ones before. I'll check out that york tool warehouse though.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2006, 11:30:40 AM »
Hmm, that's weird.  You're right on them being different.  The engine is part of their 'World Engine' series and looks to have VVT, too.  Having VVT would have made the 2.4L Jeep a lot better.  The flow control in the intake is kinda neat too.  Sure uses a lot of plastic though.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/24.html

YJmechanic

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2006, 05:17:31 AM »
i don't know about the rods.  i sanded the casting edges and had them shot peaned and balanced to get what i wanted.  i don't think you need forged rods inless you are going to very high boost which you shouldn't with a 2.5 cause the compression is already too high for that.

yeah the vvt would help i think but still the compasses and calibers are still dogs if you ask me.  i wouldn't pull out in traffic in either.

wrangler387

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2006, 03:36:37 PM »
The compression isn't to high. Obviously it isn't a honda, so running 10+ C/R and then 15+lbs out of a t3/t4 won't happen. But getting 15 out of a 14b is possible.