Author Topic: speedometer gear which one  (Read 804 times)

christopher

speedometer gear which one
« on: January 21, 2007, 01:05:01 PM »
okay  i put on a set of 285/75r16 bfg alt. my gears are 4.10 my speedometers of a mile i converted my tire.and came up with 32.8 is my acual tire size so should i concider it to be a 33.i dont no what size speedometer gear to put in ive found two web sites that came up with two diffrent gears one 35 tooth and one a 33 tooth. does any one no much about this or wich one is right. :?:

christopher

hey jeffy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
jeffy i could use some help i looked up all the past discussions on speedometergears that you wrote it help me out alot but i still dont no what gear to use for 285 75r 16 bfg at. with 4.10 gears i come up with what  another gear size i did write down all the part numbers you posted for the gears to get them from the dealer but still dont no which one.ive came up with 33 34 and 35 tooth count from several diffrent sights any help would shure be aprceiated  :bow:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »
Well, first, 265/75R16's converted to inches is 32.8" tall.  That's the same size as a 33" MT(actual size).  Your stock gear is a 41T.  When adding larger tires to stock gears your speedometer will read slow.  This means you need to reduce the number of teeth on the speedometer pinion so it will turn faster.  Now according to the chart I made a while back that will put you around 36T.  I'd start there.  You might need to buy another gear if you want it exact (+/-1mph) though.  Gears are cheap though.  Buy them from the Dealership rather then some other place that will overcharge.  Gears should only cost around $12-16 each.  If you look at the link above you can even find the part number.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

christopher

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:05:14 AM »
jeffy thanks ill try that 36t gear and start from there thanks for the info i sure appreciate it.