Author Topic: Possible Clutch Slave Cylinder?  (Read 612 times)

Enjoi

Possible Clutch Slave Cylinder?
« on: January 26, 2007, 12:26:23 PM »
Recently ive been having problems with my clutch. When i depress the pedal halway to the bottum nothing happen, like my clutch hasnt even began to dissengaged the flywheel. with clutch pedal completly depressed i have problems throwing it into gear.

Is this a possible Clutch slave cylinder or linkage issue? It says i cant bleed the hydraulics to the clutch so do i have to replace the entire system?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:01:05 PM »
For your problem though, I'd check for leaks first.  Since yours is all external, it is easy to work on.  There really isn't much to the whole system.  Two main components that could have something wrong.  The master and the slave.  You want to localize the problem to one or the other.  Top your system off and make sure the rubber seat under the cap isn't deformed.

From a fellow in the UK, he said he ran into the same problem with a slave that had no bleeder.  There was the worm screw where it should have been but no hole under it.  He ended up drilling a hole and replacing the slave alone.  If the master is the same as the one in the YJ, it should have a crush pin that locks the tube to the end of the master.

Otherwise, replace the whole thing if you don't want to try to make it work.  I'm sure that's a bit expensive though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

tommygp

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »
It's very common that if you replace the slave or master cylinder, the other will go away shortly thereafter.  The new unit creates too much pressure for the old one and the diaphrams begin to leak.  This is exactly how mine worked out.  I replaced the leaky slave cylinder, and within a couple weeks the master cylinder started leaking.  If I'd replaced the whole thing at once, it would have been about the same cost.  Plus, I wouldn't have had to jack with those freaking pins.

I would look into getting a replacement master cylinder, line and slave cylinder all at once.  It should cost around $150, which is about the same as replacing it all piece by piece, but will likely save you some time.

Also - if you are low on fluid but can't find the leak, look on the inside of the firewall by the pedals.  The master usually leaks on the inside of the tub.

Enjoi

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 06:49:16 PM »
its a slave leak, where the slave enters the housing. is there a way just to get new seals? Because the FSM says you have to replace the entire hydraulic system  :evil:  

Seems like theres some sorta screw on top of the slave, is that where your bleeder is? In the haynes manual it says its on the passenger side of the transmission   :nothing:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 08:28:05 PM »
Quote from: "Enjoi"
its a slave leak, where the slave enters the housing. is there a way just to get new seals? Because the FSM says you have to replace the entire hydraulic system  :evil:  

Seems like theres some sorta screw on top of the slave, is that where your bleeder is? In the haynes manual it says its on the passenger side of the transmission   :nothing:

Hays is FOS.  :lol:  They are terrible manuals.  The reason it says you have to replace the whole thing is because that's how they are now sold.  Although, like I mentioned previously, you can get the separate parts.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."