Author Topic: How much lift?  (Read 1037 times)

jeepnfahey

How much lift?
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:11:53 AM »
Hello all,
I am kind of new to this fourm. Well any way last spring I bought a 95 yj. I love the Jeep. I have a problme I know I want to lift my jeep this spring I just dont want to spend a lot of money doing it. I am a college student and I have a small boudget. I would like to lift it around 3 inches. I have looked at many lift kits all over the web, but I am not going to be spending 800+$ on a 3inch lift. I have come acrose these two ideas.

I have found a kit online that is a Add a leaf 2.5 inch kit. Comes with the add a leafes and drop pitman arm and trasfure  case drop.

Or
I could get the Rusty complete 4 inch kit.  I think 4 inches would be over kill.

I am looking just to run 31's maybe 32's. I don't have the cash to re gear so I don't want anything bigger then 32's.

I just don't know what to do?
What are the pros and cons of both kits? Does any one have these kits? Please let me know.

Thanx I have to say that i love this site it has help a lot with some of my 4 banger issues.  :?

Offline neale_rs

How much lift?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:11:19 PM »
The cheapest way would be to trim the fenders and add no lift.  Next woud be a 2 inch body lift.  Third would be a 1 inch body lift and 1 inch shackle lift.  After that it would start to cost a lot more.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Jesse-James

How much lift?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 06:21:54 AM »
Add a leaf will be a terrible ride. And don't go with the cheapest lift kit you can find, you get what you pay for most of the time. 1" lift shackles and a 1" body lift sounds like a winner to me. Splitting the lift between the two will keep it safe. You don't want to get into ridiculous shackles or tall body lifts.

might4banger

How much lift?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »
If you are in school  - best thing to do is a 1" body lift, sway bar disco's and wheel it... plan the big mods after you graduate. They will take more time and $ than you figure!

chrisfranklin

How much lift?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 09:17:59 PM »
1" lift shackles and a 1" body lift sounds like a winner to me.

Yeah, that kind of my inclination for my own rig and I'm not even in school   :lol:

lanulos89

How much lift?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 09:27:51 PM »
i guess im special i went all out and bought a kit lol

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
How much lift?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 09:59:17 PM »
Honestly, I'd probably go with 31's and go with TJ flares with some liberal fender cutting.  The flares will hide the cutting.  This should give you enough room for 31's.  If you really wanted a bit more room, then go with .5"-3/4" shackles and maybe a 1" body lift.  It should keep cost down while not screwing up any of your steering geometry.  (ie., camber)  It will not require any modifications to the transfer case nor will it require a pitman arm.  Then get some swaybar disconnects and remove the trackbars.  Relocate the front brakelines, which allows for more drop (this is free and there is a post on it.)
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."