Author Topic: 2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?  (Read 1785 times)

iismet

2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« on: January 31, 2007, 06:29:14 PM »
I have a 2005 SE running 33X10.50 BFG's on 4.56 gears. I have an XJ 44 with 4.88's on the bench almost complete and have a HP30 with alot of the parts on the shelf. My SE runs pretty well, but I am wondering if 5:13's would not be a better ratio. I hate to put the time and money into the HP30 if a TJ44 would be a better option for its ability to run lower gearing.

Assuming (arguably) similar strength between the two, would you opt for HP30 drive shaft clearance or the TJ44 lower ratio capability.

Also is anyone running the 2.4 with 5.13's

Thanks

Cliff

lanulos89

2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 06:52:02 PM »
id imagine thatd be bad little torque but a lot of top end i thin correct me if im wrong please

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:32:52 PM »
Quote from: "lanulos89"
id imagine thatd be bad little torque but a lot of top end i thin correct me if im wrong please

What?

Anyway, some people say the strength difference isn't that different.  The 44 will have a larger housing and axle tubes as well as internals BUT the U-joints are still 5-297x series which the HP 30 has.  Although you can upgrade them to the even stronger series U-joints.  The outers on the 44 are Chrysler 30 series and they will not take CJ 30 or D44 outers with manual hubs.

I think I'd go with 5.13's for 33s even with a 2.4L.  They have more Hp but seem to not have the low end power of the 2.5L.  Really though, go HERE and type in your gear ratios and see where the RPM's are at every speed.  Then make your choice.  4.88's shouldn't be bad for 33's, especially if they're 33x10.5's and not 12.5's.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

iismet

2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »
Quote from: "Jeffy"
The outers on the 44 are Chrysler 30 series and they will not take CJ 30 or D44 outers with manual hubs.

Jeffy I am referring to the Rubicon 44 housing? I thought it used the same tubes and outers as the D30. Is this incorrect?

I think I'd go with 5.13's for 33s even with a 2.4L.  

I'm leaning with you. The driveshaft height is secondary for you?

Really though, go .....

I've spent hours plugging in data - that is how I got to the question. I'm actually going to run the 4.88's to see how it works, but am still interested in views with experience.

lanulos89

2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:05:47 PM »
yea lol guys gears well i just dont get gears, like at all.  :oops:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 08:11:52 PM »
Quote from: "iismet"

Jeffy I am referring to the Rubicon 44 housing? I thought it used the same tubes and outers as the D30. Is this incorrect?

I'm leaning with you. The driveshaft height is secondary for you?

I've spent hours plugging in data - that is how I got to the question. I'm actually going to run the 4.88's to see how it works, but am still interested in views with experience.

I believe the Rubicon D44 has standard D44 axle tubes.  The outers are 30 series though.  This is unlike the TJ D44 with 35 series axle tubes pressed into a D44 housing.

I'm not bothered by the driveshaft angle since the front driveshaft is very long so that's not a problem.  I know guy's running Ford 9" and those pinions are LOW.

I don't think 4.88's will be a problem.  Honestly, unless you plan on running larger tires and upgrading axles, there is no reason to swap out the D30, especially if it's a HP from a XJ.  The XJ HP 30 is probably the best D30.  Since you have the axle already, it's not that big of a deal to try it out.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 09:49:49 PM »
Quote from: "lanulos89"
yea lol guys gears well i just dont get gears, like at all.  :oops:

This explains the whole thing pretty well.

http://www.legoedwest.com/page.php?23
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

iismet

2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 10:03:13 PM »
Quote from: Jeffy
Quote from: "iismet"

This is unlike the TJ D44 with 35 series axle tubes pressed into a D44 housing.

This was run in the front?

Offline jagular7

2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 07:42:20 AM »
One thing before you purchase the axle, is to make sure your choice of gear ratio is available for both the front and rear axles. Then, I'd suggest to make sure the gear ratio chosen will work in real life scenarios, meaning the ratio will work with the speeds on the road you will be driving, especially if the Jeep is dd to work during the week, and 1-2 weekends on the trails. Trailriding can be compensated through other ways like t-case gears, doublers, or with different tcases. I know the choices of tcases are not abundant for the short wheelbase Jeeps, but there are a few. Cost is another thing in making these choices. With the gear ratio being changed, look for lockers to add.

For choosing the Rubi D44 for the front axle, the biggest impact is only the R&P size. Although I think the rotor is slightly bigger.  The 297/760 series u-joints are the same u-joints used in any 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton (light). No difference there. With the front axle, its rare that the splines of the axle would be affected. The joint usually breaks first and if done properly, you can also take out the splines of the axle shaft and the side gears in the locker with the break of the joint.

If I had a choice of building a front and rear axle combo, I think I would look for a getting high-steer for the front, manual locking hubs on both axles, large discs, and width to fit wheel/tire combo with front slightly wider to provide better stability. I know of couple people who took a D44R housing, added D60 knuckles, and used D60 knuckle out combos (shafts/joints). They run manual lockers (ARB, OX). The shafts are high cost customs as well as the joints. They don't drive them too often on the street and always trailer them to the trails. Run 39's and 42's with v8s, auto, steep gear cases, 4.88s, and matching ff rear axle. 1 is in MN, the other in OR.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

iismet

2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 01:48:59 PM »
Quote from: "jagular7"

If I had a choice of building a front and rear axle combo, I think I would look for a getting high-steer for the front, manual locking hubs on both axles, large discs, and width to fit wheel/tire combo with front slightly wider to provide better stability. I know of couple people who took a D44R housing, added D60 knuckles, and used D60 knuckle out combos (shafts/joints). They run manual lockers (ARB, OX). The shafts are high cost customs as well as the joints. They don't drive them too often on the street and always trailer them to the trails. Run 39's and 42's with v8s, auto, steep gear cases, 4.88s, and matching ff rear axle. 1 is in MN, the other in OR.

Gees, I did set some parameters. It's still a street driven 4cyl after all. :D

Offline chardrc

2.4L - HP30 or TJ44 ?
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 04:37:52 PM »
since we are talking about axles.. especially d44's.. my dad has a 06 Rubicon with 33's and 1 year after he bought it( 1 week ago) he had an rear axle seal go out... it and the bearing were still under warranty. im just wondering if this is comin or if it was just a fluc.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr