Author Topic: AEM Brute force intake  (Read 2418 times)

YJmechanic

AEM Brute force intake
« on: August 27, 2005, 02:41:06 PM »
Anybody buy one of these aem intakes for the 2.5?  I did and it's going back where it came from.  It doesn't route to the cool side of the motor and it interfears with everything. Not to mention the pipes are barely inside the couplers when it's together.  Just a warning to anyone about to buy one.  Any other intake suggestions.

jeepfourlow

AEM Brute force intake
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 05:43:49 PM »
well i dunno about the other guys here but i got one of those cheap intakes from ebay, its goes where the old intake box used to and doesnt get in the way of anything, only problem was the brackets that came with it were weak so i simply zip tied it and its perfectly stable. made the engine rumble sound deeper and i like it. if you want pics id be glad to post them

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
AEM Brute force intake
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 07:48:27 PM »
I used a Rusty's airtube and K&N for a long time with no problems.  Now I run a TJ 4.0L airtube to get the filter to the pass. side of the engine bay, over the fender and in front of the battery.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
AEM Brute force intake
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 08:41:05 PM »
On my YJ, I prefer the stock setup.  I've had a custom open element air filter back in 1997 when no one made a kit.  It worked fine but I did notice something that I hadn't before. When I had to go back to stock for emission I noticed a lot of low-end torque came back.  I also noticed the engine ran smoother at higher RPM's.  One of the things that was happening was that the MAP was thinking that there wasn't that much air entering the engine because when you increase the air volume you reduce the air speed.  So if you run a open element you'll want to adjust the MAP.  I also noticed my brakes, which used to be a bit soft went solid.  This was also because of the engine vacuum.  I probably lost some highend HP but I prefer the low-end torque.  Just something to take into consideration.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

trailblazer95

AEM Brute force intake
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 12:27:31 PM »
i used a turbo city air intake for a while, it was OK.  i think routing it to the passenger side doesn't bring the coolest air in.  i think I'm going to re-angle the tube to fit to the stock location once i get it running again.  it'll bring in cooler air there, plus with the taurus fan in there, it'll be really forcing a bit of air in.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
AEM Brute force intake
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 12:37:06 PM »
Quote from: "trailblazer95"
i used a turbo city air intake for a while, it was OK.  i think routing it to the passenger side doesn't bring the coolest air in.  i think I'm going to re-angle the tube to fit to the stock location once i get it running again.  it'll bring in cooler air there, plus with the taurus fan in there, it'll be really forcing a bit of air in.

The way the TurboCity intake has it routed is worse then the stock airbox.  It not only goes over the hot engine but it also puts the air filter over the engine.  When I had mine, I routed it forward and down.  It sat just above the PS box.  Still, I prefre the stock setup.

Anyone have the small plastic coupler that goes from the CCV to the airbox?  Mine was lost when I went with the Open element.  (This is for a YJ)
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

trailblazer95

AEM Brute force intake
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 01:10:36 PM »
Quote from: "Jeffy"

The way the TurboCity intake has it routed is worse then the stock airbox.  It not only goes over the hot engine but it also puts the air filter over the engine.  When I had mine, I routed it forward and down.  It sat just above the PS box.  

that's what i'm planning on doing.

YJmechanic

AEM Brute force intake
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 10:42:35 AM »
I am going back to the cheap stuff that works just fine.  My old one was a pipe from a honda with a coupler to meet the factory hose and someone stole the filter when it was apart.  I thought now was the time to get a nice one and pay the cost rather than buying a new filter for my rigged-up setup.  I'm just getting the cheapo pacesetter.  I agree with the factory box having more torque though.  The way I built the motor it has to stay in the high rpm range to produse the right power.