Author Topic: Stock Rubicon Suspension  (Read 4046 times)

gomi

Stock Rubicon Suspension
« on: April 18, 2007, 07:33:43 AM »
Well, I was thinking of picking up a set of stock rubicon springs and shocks off an 06 rubicon for $100. Not too sure about the degree of difficulty in the install though, any one want to chime in. I figure with spring around the corner it's time to give the two pythons a good work out. ;) okay, so maybe they're more like garden snakes.

Justin Sinclair

Re: Stock Rubicon Suspension
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:09:47 AM »
I've been trying to work a deal with a friend on a set also, and was about to post with the same question..What kind of lift if any at all would you get with rubicon suspension (Coils and shocks).

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:12:38 AM »
If I remember correctly it's about 1 or 2 inches worth. As soon as this weather breaks and things are a bit warmer I'll be taking a short trip to the scrap yard to look for a set of springs and shocks from a Rubi. I've never changed any suspension parts but it doesn't look to complicated.
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

gomi

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 08:50:46 AM »
Seems that you get an inch, or just a bit more than an inch. I'm going for it I guess, $100 isn't so bad.

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 09:38:59 AM »
Seems that you get an inch, or just a bit more than an inch. I'm going for it I guess, $100 isn't so bad.

$100 is excellent. I'd say go for it!
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

Offline SKI BOY

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 10:02:33 AM »
About 1 1/2" because of the 4cyl weight vs 6cyl. Cost should depend on mileage not necessarily age. I've seen take-offs on ebay with under 1000 miles for $50-75
Ski Boy

" It ain't broke til you can't fix it no more "

97 TJ, AT, 31'S ON AR CAST WHEELS, 4.0L TB / TBS, JET CHIP, CUSTOM HI-FLOW INTAKE, ON BOARD AIR, ELECT. RAD. FAN, SOFT TOP!

gomi

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 10:23:48 AM »
$50-70 is very good, but I don't have to pay for shipping and no wait, so it ends up being the same I guess. As for the shocks and springs, they are about two months old on a new rubicon. It belongs to one of my students, I noticed he just lifted his jeep and I asked of he still has all the factory stuff. I would have asked for help on the install, but I'm not too inclined to crawl under a jeep with unfimiliar men. :nono:

gomi

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 10:26:10 AM »
like most things, I guess the hardest part for me is the getting started factor. I can figure it out mechanically, but I just need to get the balls to start it.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 11:26:20 AM »
Well, I was thinking of picking up a set of stock rubicon springs and shocks off an 06 rubicon for $100. Not too sure about the degree of difficulty in the install though, any one want to chime in. I figure with spring around the corner it's time to give the two pythons a good work out. ;) okay, so maybe they're more like garden snakes.

Have you also looked at ZJ coils?  You'll get about the same amount of lift.  Might be easier to find since there are a lot more of them out there.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 01:14:09 PM »
Hi Gomi the install is prerry easy if you have a floorjack and a decent set of hand tools. Jack your Jeep up pretty high put it on jackstands take the wheels of support axle with the floor jack and lift it a little from where it hangs
remove shocks from axle take bolt out of trackbar lower axle as low as it will go without stretching the brake hoses remove springs. Stick new springs in lift axle hook shocks up and trackbar go on to next axle and repeat the same procedure.

Art
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

lanulos89

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 03:08:22 PM »
stock rubis are still pretty small, my jeep makes them look stock next to them, i park next to one every day at work.  my jeep isnt too big either, go rubi springs and spacers you'll like it

jcsanders79

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 03:47:45 PM »
What are you trying to say? :confused:

lanulos89

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 05:04:55 PM »
for only 3.5 inches of lift my jeep looks pretty big compared to a rubi.   :wall:

gomi

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 05:36:53 PM »
Hi Gomi the install is prerry easy if you have a floorjack and a decent set of hand tools. Jack your Jeep up pretty high put it on jackstands take the wheels of support axle with the floor jack and lift it a little from where it hangs
remove shocks from axle take bolt out of trackbar lower axle as low as it will go without stretching the brake hoses remove springs. Stick new springs in lift axle hook shocks up and trackbar go on to next axle and repeat the same procedure.

Art
Thanks, i just got them and managed to get them for $75. He actually gave them to me for free and brought them by the office for me. I felt kind of bad taking them and he kept refusing the money so, I finally got him to take $75. It was very kind and we could all use a little bit of that these days.

Justin Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 05:50:35 PM »
Hurry Hurry Install them.. I want to know if its worth it b4 I buy mine  :blbl: