Author Topic: Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier  (Read 1842 times)

Greatwhite

Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier
« on: April 22, 2007, 08:00:35 PM »
I ordered my rear bumper/tire carrier almost two weeks ago from LOD Offroad, should be getting delivered sometime this week! Cant wait, will post pictures when it arrives and some of the install!  For now here is a link to their site, it looks like real nice stuff, and the best part is it doesnt have the usual "JEEP" price tag to go with it  ;)  http://www.lodoffroad.com/xtreme-duty-tire-carrier.htm

Besides its cool to help out an up and comming fellow jeep enthusist with their business. :thumb:

Chad

Re: Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:10:28 PM »
Cool look forward to seeing pics.  Let me know how it looks.  I want a rear bumper but i dont' think i can convince myself to spend 300 hundo on one right now.

Greatwhite

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 09:17:04 AM »
Okay, finally got arround to putting my new rear bumper on and hanging my full size spare/hijack let me know what you guys think! :biggrin:

Bluesteel88

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 10:36:26 AM »
Looks Awesome! Nice Job, i need to get a rear tire carrier one of these days lol

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 11:04:40 AM »
Looks great!  The whole jeep looks great.  Are those 35's?
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Greatwhite

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 11:16:25 AM »
Thanks guys, just 33's but the flares just give it a great stance!  8)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »
My only concern would be micro vibrations causing the main hinge to crack over time.  Do the rubber bump stops press against the swing out arm?  I've heard of a few different swing outs break while on and off road.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Greatwhite

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »
Its hard to see in the photos, but there is an area on the left side of the swing that press fits up agains one of the bumpers when you close the swing.  There are no vibrations or rattles at all, one of the things i really like about it, dont even notice it back there when im driving.

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 04:42:03 PM »
You must have a tall garage to have the hi-lift sticking up over the jeep.  My rollcage is about 1/2" under the door opening. 

Looks good.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Greatwhite

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 05:05:23 PM »
It fits in the garage, just barely, not a 1/4 inch to spare it might be a little closer than that.   Put it all to gether in the garage and then had that thought ... "i wonder if i will be able to get out" almost the build a boat in your backyard delima but not quite heh.  :biggrin: :thumb:

YJmechanic

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 08:20:55 AM »
cool man.  same one i got.  i have had mine for about a year now and have no complaints.  the bumpers on the tailgate do line up nicely to keep it tight.  the only thing i don't like is the actual spare tire mount.  the adjustability was not right for a 12.50 with my backspacing and it was not very sturdy.  i set mine in so when i tighten the lugs on the spare it smashes the spare just a little to keep everything tight.  then after everything was in place i welded the mount to the tire carrier and now it is tight and quite and now worries about breakeage.  i will give you some advise though.  keep the release pin lubed or when it gets cold i will get stuck bad.  i had to hit mine with a rubber mallet in a snow storm to get into my storage in the back.  grab some d rings to complete the look.  just put them on and tighten them with an adjustable wrench then keep the wrench with you.