Author Topic: question re: upgrades for my 4banger  (Read 1778 times)

braves3331

question re: upgrades for my 4banger
« on: August 31, 2005, 07:20:00 PM »
howdy everyone. i've got a 1990 jeep wrangler 2.5l, and was wondering on the air intake systems and other performance stuff, for the YJ it seems like they only cover the 91-95 years. Does anyone know if this stuff can be modified to fit my 1990. or does anyone know where i could find performance stuff for my 1990? any reccomendations on upgrades for my year? i've already got a 4.0 throttle body on its way and hope to get it next week. anyhow, any help is appreciated. thanks

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 09:02:52 PM »
Did you read about the 4.0L conversion here or just through word of mouth?  I'm asking this because all the articles I've written about it state that you need a MPFI 2.5L.  A TBI system won't work.

You could still do ignition and some other bolt-on mods though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

braves3331

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 09:51:28 PM »
actually i heard it from a guy who had done it to his jeep of the same year, with TBI. and i double checked with the guy who sold it to me, and he said it could be done. lol i guess he just wanted to make a sell huh? i was having trouble with it (i believe) because it's like the throttle body isn't getting much gas because it's emitting like a light smoke when i look in it right after running it for a minute or so.

i'll read your article as well, i hadnt really checked out all the articles as of yet. unfortunately i'm about a week too late, it's already in transit.

what other bolt-on could i do besides ignition and the exhaust? i'm having a heck of a time trying to find other stuff besides ignition and exhaust. i wanted to re-do the whole air filter set up, but i can only find stuff for 91-95. i was thinking maybe i could modify those, but wasn't 100% sure, and they ain't cheap either, which was why i was asking if anyone had tried it or heard that it is possible.

i just bought the jeep for real cheap, and don't know much about it which is why i joined this forum.
thanks for your help  8)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 12:56:08 AM »
Quote from: "braves3331"
actually i heard it from a guy who had done it to his jeep of the same year, with TBI. and i double checked with the guy who sold it to me, and he said it could be done. lol i guess he just wanted to make a sell huh? i was having trouble with it (i believe) because it's like the throttle body isn't getting much gas because it's emitting like a light smoke when i look in it right after running it for a minute or so.

i'll read your article as well, i hadnt really checked out all the articles as of yet. unfortunately i'm about a week too late, it's already in transit.

what other bolt-on could i do besides ignition and the exhaust? i'm having a heck of a time trying to find other stuff besides ignition and exhaust. i wanted to re-do the whole air filter set up, but i can only find stuff for 91-95. i was thinking maybe i could modify those, but wasn't 100% sure, and they ain't cheap either, which was why i was asking if anyone had tried it or heard that it is possible.

i just bought the jeep for real cheap, and don't know much about it which is why i joined this forum.
thanks for your help  8)

Well, the guy is full of it.  A 4.0L is MPFI so it has no injectors attached to the throttle body.  You could do just about any add-on that doesn't involve the Intake and injection system.  Cam gears, cams, headers...  Personally, I prefer my OEM box then those fancy air tubes.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."