Author Topic: K&N Apollo Closed Air Filter + ARB Snorkel  (Read 1753 times)

mack90

K&N Apollo Closed Air Filter + ARB Snorkel
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:58:02 AM »
I was in the process of installing an ARB snorkel on my jeep and I cracked the airbox  :'(  I have seen one of these K&N filters used on an xj, and wonder which one would work on my 4 banger TJ.  I have a 1998.  Anyone tried one of these?  I think it is a great option instead of the factory airbox, but not sure which one to buy.

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

Crunch

Re: K&N Apollo Closed Air Filter + ARB Snorkel
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:02:02 AM »
I think it's a great idea, and may provide you greater flexibility when trying to route the tube from your snorkel to the airbox.  No cutting, and no airbox lifting (you'll see what I had to do with the stock airbox for routing here: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,4200.0.html ).  You'll probably need some additional HW to get the pieces fitted together properly.

If you do it, please post pictures of the mounting location, how you connected it to the TB, and the routing through the engine bay to your snorkel,  as well as additional parts you needed to get everything put together.   I haven't seen this one before, and HATE the factory airbox (not to mention mine is broken, and been patched together).

Good luck!

mack90

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:31:12 AM »
I will keep you updated.  I should be starting this project late Feb.....I still have an ax15 to swap in and some rubicon axles....

TA-YJ

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »
I like the design of that.  I wonder if it would work with another application though.  What if you routed the hose to draw in cold air from the vent right in front of the windsheild.  Ive heard pretty good results from that being used as a cold air source and I think it would be a perfect application for it.  The intake end of the hose could be placed in the vertical side closest to the engine under the vent.  This way even if it rained, it would be hard for water to get into the hose and there would still be a filter between the engine and the inlet.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »
I did a similar setup last year in early summer as this K&N Apollo (No snorkel): http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,4744.msg38064.html#msg38064.

Forced in to getting the components from one of those 4 cylinder street hotrod online retailers and maybe one or two things at auction.  But its probably roughly the same thing as this K&N design.    If I had known about the K&N setup, I would have gone with that.  But maybe they came out with that at the end of '08 or the beginning of this year.   

My filter is obviously closed off in the plastic casing and I also added Thermotec materials to the tubing and intake manifold for what its worth.  Haven't taken the intake air temp, but its probably as close to ambient as I'm going to get. 

I'm not using a snorkel but that would probably work well too (Not a lot of Jeep "submarine" opportunities nearby but maybe I'm not trying hard enough; Nearest water, though, for me is the Pacific Ocean and a couple of urban lakes). 

The oiled cotton filter is enclosed and inline which is all good.  But the filtration isn't likely to match your standard paper filter.  But then again, maybe these Apollo-type deals with the cotton gauze filter are a fairly reasonable match with a snorkel since the snorkel height supposedly allows for a bit cleaner intake air charge on average.  Maybe you are on the right track adding one of these Apollo deals to a snorkel.

I'd say the performance with my pieced-together intake has worked for me on the low end -- 1000-3000RPM, especially after I added the Bosch III injectors (Maybe running a bit lean prior).  And the engine recently passed CARB emissions also.  I don't wind it out a lot because the Borla cat-back I have can wake the dead at high RPM if you are in the city; highway on-ramps are a different story and over 5000 is no problem. Good luck and thanks for the link showing the K&N product.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:12:36 AM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

mack90

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 05:46:35 AM »
It was an easy mod just for the record.  It took about 30 minutes to swap out.  The snorkel connects easily with a cheap changeover.  This thing is pretty strong with the 5.13 gears 33x12.5 swampers and ported head...electric cooling fan too.