Author Topic: any one own/ owned a comanche?  (Read 1520 times)

jeepheap

any one own/ owned a comanche?
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:26:07 AM »
well the tags are almost up on the soon-to-be-wife's vw and there is no way it's going to pass. burns more oil then it uses for lube. any way her sister has a yota pick-up which she drove a little while ago. she loved it. so last night i suggested a pick-up and leaned towards the comanche cuase of all the spare parts i have.

never been in one. any body got any words of wisdom or warnings?

jcsanders79

Re: any one own/ owned a comanche?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 07:32:38 AM »
A couple guys in my local club are getting into them and like them, check this site out:  www.comancheclub.com

Jesse-James

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 10:13:21 AM »
The only reason I got rid of mine was the rust. I loved that truck. If that's the size truck you're looking for you will too.

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 04:05:27 PM »
I cut one up into 100 pieces with a sawzall once.  Bought on ebay for $52, tried to get the motor running and got a tad upset once the motor ran and the tranny was shot.  Took 3 blades to turn it into a trailer and a pile of recyclables
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 04:58:51 PM »
Hmm, I'd hate to say it but if I was looking at getting a small truck, I'd go with a Yota.  Either the 22RE or the V6 will do.  Both get decent gas mileage even when mildly modified.  Solid axle up front on the early to mid 80's or IFS on the later ones.  Parts are fairly plentiful.  They also use a ladder frame design instead of the Unibody/frame the Comanche's use.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »
I'd go with a 4.0L, 5 speed auto ranger - gas guzzler but tons of torque.  Used to tow a 16ft cartrailer and my CJ with a 99, towed almost as well as my 02 F150.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Jesse-James

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 09:25:54 PM »
I liked my Yota until I broke the frame on it. Never wheeled hard, just 2 track trails. Kinda pissed me off. I will say it was great on gas (22RE) and very dependable. It was an 86 with 140K and in 2 years all i did was rebuild the carb once. Simple to work on too.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 11:09:24 AM »
i have a 1994 s10.. it has good power (4.3l v6) but when something goes bad its kinda hard to work on.. everything is too tight together.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

lanulos89

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 06:28:01 PM »
the 94 4.3's aint bad, the newer ones are horrbile to work on, my mom had a'98, took like 2 hours to do change the plugs alone., had to remove both tires,a dn air box etc.

jeepheap

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 06:16:08 AM »
guys (and girl) i hate s-10's. worked on plenty and it's never been good. my brother had a s10 got rearended and it was totalled. he was stopped and she was doing like 30 mph. i use to have a dakota and got rearended at a stop by a girl doing 50. my rear diff was on the intake of the motor after peeling the hood back. put it in 4lo and drove it home, no prob.

yotas are an option, but i really just want to know about comanches. i have spare parts and am fimilar with jeeps quirks.

any other info on them?

Offline chardrc

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 06:18:44 AM »
the 94 4.3's aint bad, the newer ones are horrbile to work on, my mom had a'98, took like 2 hours to do change the plugs alone., had to remove both tires,a dn air box etc.

ya when we got it the old owner was to lazy when he put in the plugs and one of them was loose.. but with the right tools it wasn't bad to get to. worst thing we had to do was getting the starter out to get a new one.. we practically had to take the motor out.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 11:31:48 AM »
I had an '88 MJ with the 4.0L auto, loved that thing.  It was the exact drivetrain and shortbed I was looking for, and even scored one with a sunroof and buckets.  5.5" of lift, regear to 4.10 with an Exploder 8.8, and I was real happy.  That is until the day I sold it.  Hated to see it go, but couldn't justify keeping it.  Barely get to drive the YJ the way it is.

My old MJ is being built even more by its new owner, you can see that build here.

Tough to find a good solid 4wd MJ, they're getting more rare all the time.  4wd conversions are easy with abundant XJ parts, so finding a solid 2wd MJ isn't out of the question.

Here's a before and after the 5.5" RE coils and a SOA: