Author Topic: ? about an induction system cleanse for a 2.4L  (Read 1372 times)

streetmaster

? about an induction system cleanse for a 2.4L
« on: June 15, 2007, 11:31:34 PM »
Went into the dealer were i purchased my 04 SE, TJ a year ago, to get the 30,000 mile survice done on it. I thought all i needed to get done, was the stuff my survice log had in it. Which was to check the tranny, transfer case, lube, hoses, air filter, oil change, plugs, fluids, and rotate the tires. But my survice log didnt say anything about an $89 induction system cleanse, thats suppost to clean all the carbon off the pistons, valves and fuel injecters. Im just wandering if anybodys ever had this done at the dealer, and if its made any difference in there (fuel milage or power). I guess all they do is hook the system up to a mechine and it take about a half an hour to clean the induction system out. I told them that i would be back in another time to get it done do to lack of funds at the time, but i have about 500 more miles before i hit the 30,000 mark.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: ? about an induction system cleanse for a 2.4L
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 11:56:31 PM »
Well, if you have carbon build up it would help clean it.  Although you can do it yourself and clean the fuel injectors while you're at it.  The product is called Sea Foam.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Liljeepz

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 09:27:03 AM »
I hate that 30k thing, it cost something like 3 or 4 hundred dollars too! I'm almost at my 60K and think I will forgo it and just do the work my self, FYI if its not done by a certified tech, your warranty is void. You might as well  :ass: for the Jeep dealership if you want your warranty.

streetmaster

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 10:05:51 AM »
Yeah it seemed to me while standing there, talking to this guy at what they call the fast lane, for guick survices. He made it seem to me though as if Chrysler, is insisting that i let them run there product threw my motor, or all bets are off with my warrenty. Besides my 30,000 mile survice is only a tadd above 150 bucks. He first quoted me around the $300.00 range anly because he thought i had an automatic, and the the price dropped some more after i went out and got my survice log from my glove box, and showed it to him. Because it stated that the tranny which is a 5speed, only needed the fluid level checked, instead of getting changed. And that was around $225, if the fluid was to be changed. So i guess ill just have to bite the big one, and let them do it, so they can keep record of it. I could only guess as to what the guys with the big oll fansy (HEMI) motor has to go through to get there survice done.  :yikes: And then  :brick: LOL

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:40:33 AM »
I doubt you need the cleanse service at 30k, but I have seen it done and I know it's a good service.

I've used SeaFoam and IMO this cleaning method would work better.  They turn off your fuel pump and a special cleaner is pumped to the injectors while the engine is running, as well as a cleaner injected into the air intake.  Takes about 15-30 minutes for all the cleaner to run out and into the engine.

Doesn't smoke as much as SeaFoam.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 03:22:21 PM »
I hate that 30k thing, it cost something like 3 or 4 hundred dollars too! I'm almost at my 60K and think I will forgo it and just do the work my self, FYI if its not done by a certified tech, your warranty is void. You might as well  :ass: for the Jeep dealership if you want your warranty.

Not true.  The mfg. should honor any required services as long as they are done following the interval the mfg specifies.  It should not matter if it's done by a 'Certified tech' or you.  Keep in mind that most people doing oil changes are NOT 'Certified SAE' techs.  They are too busy working on cars with real problems.

I think the only scheduled maintenance I've done at the dealer was the 15K mile.  After that I don't even worry about the schedule anymore.  I end up fixing things well before they tend to go bad.  I have a good ear for how the engine is running though.  I've also had good luck with dealers over the years.  I had my Jeep in for transmission rattles and other issues with no complaints about the modifications done.  Only once did the dealer and the MFG refuse to fix my OEM muffler when it cracked and broke open.  I was a few months off my warranty.  (1yr Everything 7/70 Powertrain.)
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

streetmaster

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 08:12:41 PM »
Yeah its starting to get to me, im getting (inchitis). I want the 33s just like everybody else does. If you check out all the jeeps for sale on the Collins Bros web site, most of the jeeps, even with 33s on, have a 2" lift. The way i figure is, is going with a BB, so i can throw a set of 33s on. But it would also be nice to have 4.88s to go with it.

Liljeepz

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »
Not true.  The mfg. should honor any required services as long as they are done following the interval the mfg specifies.

The key word is "Should" I know for a fact that the 3 Jeep dealers in my local area will not, and Also the extended warranty (Wish I never bought it) will be void too, its in the small print.
I have also been told by one of those dealerships that if I go off road that they would not honer my warranty, I asked even if I attend Camp Jeep, they said expecaly there. So if I do go in for warranty work, I don't go there.  :fitz:
It sounds a lot more laxed out there where your at jeffy.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 10:52:22 AM »
The key word is "Should" I know for a fact that the 3 Jeep dealers in my local area will not, and Also the extended warranty (Wish I never bought it) will be void too, its in the small print.
Research the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act (1975) for some good info, I think a lot of it will apply here.

If they're being this stubborn, I'd contact DC Customer Service for help.  I hope they're not 5-star dealerships.

That being said, getting to know the service manager and how easy they are to deal with carries a lot of weight before buying a new jeep vehicle.

Liljeepz

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 02:19:33 PM »
I hope they're not 5-star dealerships.

Heh all 3 are! LOL
Ill look into that info, thanks.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 05:35:41 PM »
we had an axle seal and bearing go bad in my dads Rubicon under warenty and they covered it in mn.. even with the 33's and 3 inch long arm kit.... then again we didn't bring it in caked with mud.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Liljeepz

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 05:52:56 PM »
They fixed my pumpkin seal, but that was pre lift. and no off road bruises yet.