Author Topic: Emissions Recall E22  (Read 3502 times)

huntingbuck101

Emissions Recall E22
« on: July 09, 2007, 06:11:50 PM »
Last week I received a recall for reprogramming the PCM and catalytic inspection. I sure a lot of people are getting this recall since it for the 97 and 98.
 I've heard the cat will fail and plug up the muffler. I'm thinking this might be happening to me because my muffler get 550 F and smells really hot when you stop and the cat only hits around 300. also the other day I was shifting up into 2nd and when I gave it gas it was like it fell on it face, it relay bogged bad like all 4 cylinder missed and and the motor was sucking air or something. I let off the gas and gave it gas again and it was fine and hasn't done it since. I cant help but to think my exhaust was plugged for a second and then it some how cleared out.

the recall notes that it does not include the replacement of other exhaust components other then the cat. if it's found bad. but if the muffler is bad because of the cat. how can they not fix that. a 550 degree muffler must have some of the beads from the cat. lodged in it to get that hot.

jcsanders79

Re: Emissions Recall E22
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 05:33:46 AM »
I got the same recall, I am going to try and get it in soon.  I just have a feeling that this recall is going to cause my check engine light to come on and the dealer will not be replacing my cat or anything esle.  Why are they willing to replace the cat if it is out of warranty?  It seems more likely that they will just replace the computer part and leave the rest up to me.  I don't like taking my Jeep to the dealer infact I don't get parts there unless it is impossible to get them elsewhere.  If the shop guys are as dense as the parts guys there's going to be a problem, I guess I will find out soon.

Jesse-James

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:06:34 AM »
Sounds like you need to find a new dealer. The Jeep dealer by me is "off-road friendly" and knowledgeable. Prices are still high so I still get my parts elsewhere, but good people. My club has a show & shine with a small rock crawl and RTI comp there every year. They are out there if you look hard enough.

YJmechanic

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 05:52:09 PM »
i just left working at my dealer and while i was there i did many of these recalls.  they will bang on the cat and if it rattles they will replace it and if not they will just reprogram the pcm.  all it does is set "green miles" for the new cat or reduce excess fuel for the old ones.  as far as the muffler goes, you have to look at it from a business stand  point,  they don't know the cat caused the problem without cutting the muffler open and obviously they can't do that.  if they replaced the mufflers then they would get tons of bogus claims of people just trying to get free stuff.  as far as the out of warranty thing,  all recalls are good after expired warranties and actually your cat has a longer warranty than you  think.  cats are 10yr 100k miles just most people don't know that and replace them without checking.  also if you don't reset the pcm after replacing your cat at home you will decrease it's life by half.  hope i'm helping.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 07:24:14 PM »
  cats are 10yr 100k miles just most people don't know that and replace them without checking. 

if they are so posed to last 10yrs or 100k miles why is there a emition matinence timer on my yj that turns on the cel at 83,000 miles. ( i was looking at my wiring in my dash and found a useless looking timer with emitions timer on it and i had to look it up.)
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:06:30 AM »
  cats are 10yr 100k miles just most people don't know that and replace them without checking. 

if they are so posed to last 10yrs or 100k miles why is there a emition matinence timer on my yj that turns on the cel at 83,000 miles. ( i was looking at my wiring in my dash and found a useless looking timer with emitions timer on it and i had to look it up.)

Because that timer is for the O2 sensor...
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Oilsmoke

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 07:28:35 PM »
Not Much gets passed OLD MAN JEFFY   :uhoh:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 07:31:46 PM »
Not Much gets passed OLD MAN JEFFY   :uhoh:

Old, you you calling old?  Mozman's older then I.  :wall:

BTW: Federal Emissions Extended Warranty changes.  I believe my YJ was around 7/70...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 07:33:29 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."