Author Topic: Wich BB kit to choose.  (Read 870 times)

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Wich BB kit to choose.
« on: July 11, 2007, 05:05:26 PM »
For the people that have experience in this matter... would you go with the "Superlift Superide 1.75" Lift Kit" found here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16207_000.htm

Or the "Skyjacker Standard 2" Spacer Lift Kit with Nitro Shocks" found here:
Skyjacker Standard 2" Spacer Lift Kit with Nitro Shocks

I don't know much about the shocks included with these kits so that is the info that would be most useful to me. At almost 75,000 miles on the o.e. shocks they are a bit soft and I figured that if I'm going to replace the shocks I may as well add some height. I'm looking forward to doing this in the next few weeks.
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Re: Wich BB kit to choose.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 05:11:07 PM »
Oops, here's the link for the Skyjacker kit. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_109.htm
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

dunklervogel

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 05:54:19 PM »
I got 2.25 inch spacers and Skyjacker hydro shocks ..  They are pretty stiff but I think it might be because my stock shocks had 95k on them so anything is gonna feel a lil stiff heh

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 12:44:26 AM »
I think most of the shocks that come included with a lift kit are not the greatest quality( make for a stiff ride)
I bought a 3.5" lift from rubicon express and the included shocks made it ride like a Suzuki samuri (very hard)
replaced the shocks and made a world of difference best money I ever spend. I took it out on the rocks today and it flexes beautifully am very happy with that. Just have to retain the front springs they come of the seats when it really flexes.
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline jagular7

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:49:43 AM »
I think most of the shocks that come included with a lift kit are not the greatest quality( make for a stiff ride)
I bought a 3.5" lift from rubicon express and the included shocks made it ride like a Suzuki samuri (very hard)
replaced the shocks and made a world of difference best money I ever spend. I took it out on the rocks today and it flexes beautifully am very happy with that. Just have to retain the front springs they come of the seats when it really flexes.

For the front, its rather easy with some coil hold downs from an XJ. Some earlier TJs come with one side coil (passenger) hold down. The driver's side has a hole in the lower coil mount, but no hold down.
For the rear, its a little more critical as well as harder. You could drill a hole in the middle of the lower mount and use a piece of flat plate. Simple and effective. This hole is also where you put your bump stop extenders. The rear axle has plenty of room to get a bolt and nut together there. The front axle on the driver's side only, whereas the passenger side has the track bar mount limiting the access to get a bolt and nut screwed together.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 06:58:10 AM »
Ok, after some thinking I don't think I'm a big fan of the spacer kits. I found this: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=357&plID=67&partID=13774

A little more money but I'm thinking it's worth it. It comes with MX-6 Shocks. I could save some money if I went with the ES3000 shocks but I'm not sure if it's worth cheaping out.

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 02:13:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies on the holddowns for the springs Jagular. The rear springs seem to stay in place. The front I made some hold down straps out of 1/4 by 1" flat stock and on the top I will stick a long bolt through the bumpstop tower. That should keep all that nicely together and then time for some more bumping around on a rough trail ;).
Dexter spend the money on good shocks that give a nice soft street ride you will thank yourself for it and it saves a lot of frustration
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: W[h]ich BB kit to choose.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 12:45:16 PM »
Ok, after some thinking I don't think I'm a big fan of the spacer kits. I found this: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=357&plID=67&partID=13774

A little more money but I'm thinking it's worth it. It comes with MX-6 Shocks. I could save some money if I went with the ES3000 shocks but I'm not sure if it's worth cheaping out.

If I was going to do a BB or 2.5" lift, I'd probably go with the JKS ACOS spacers.  Reason being, you will eventually want to go taller.  Even if you don't, you'll want to adjust the lift for when you add heavy stuff like bumpers, winches, etc...  Just general driving will cause the driver side rear spring to settle more then the others.  The ACOS allow you to correct for this.  I think another company that does something similar is Fabtech.  They have an adjustable 2.5" lift with shocks.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Liljeepz

Re: W[h]ich BB kit to choose.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 08:00:32 PM »

If I was going to do a BB or 2.5" lift, I'd probably go with the JKS ACOS spacers.  Reason being, you will eventually want to go taller.  Even if you don't, you'll want to adjust the lift for when you add heavy stuff like bumpers, winches, etc...  Just general driving will cause the driver side rear spring to settle more then the others.  The ACOS allow you to correct for this.  I think another company that does something similar is Fabtech.  They have an adjustable 2.5" lift with shocks.

100% agree! I took Jeffys advice a year ago and love them! ACoS that is, I am going to use them with my next lift, I just like them that much.