Author Topic: Rubicon Express 4" lift flex  (Read 3333 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Rubicon Express 4" lift flex
« on: July 26, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »
Hey, guys, as you mayhave seen in other posts, I just recently installed a RE 4" with the SYE and Woody shaft.  As expected, the ride now is a bit stiffer (keep in mind my old springs were 13 years old!), and feels like a pickup truck more or less (so nothing TOO stiff, but stiffer than before).

Yesterday, while driving back from work, I saw some ditches next to the street, and decided to take a quick detour to test for flexing of the new spring, but I notice that there was not all that much flex.  I know the springs are new, and that they will soften up after a while, but how much flex should I expect from these new springs?  My understanding was that the RE lift is actually one of the more flexible 4" lift kits, so I was surprised to se very little flex...

Eventually, I plan to take my Jeep down to Panama (Central America, not FL) for offroad duties, and there, the trails are on the muddy side, so good traction is a must.  I will try to stop by today as well and take some pictures to show you what I mean...

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Rubicon Express 4" lift flex
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 02:03:07 PM »
First thing, disconnect your front and rear trackbars.  This makes a HUGE difference.  Then you will want to get some swaybar disconnects. (You could just remove the swaybar too if you like the sway.)  It should make a big difference.  Also, you might want to loosen the shackles a bit.  Most of the time the shackle bolts are tightened too much.  As long as you have locking nuts you should not have to worry about them loosening up or falling off.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 02:05:50 PM »
Rear trackbar is gone; I am now considering an adjusteable front one (the ones you can "easily" take off).  Sway bar was disconnected at the time...  Still is, but I am going to reconnect it as soon as I receive the new bolts for the links (the tappered ones I kind of ruined while getting the stock links off to install the swaybar discos).

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 02:40:25 PM »
Honestly, I'd forget about the adjustable track bar.  I don't think it's worth it.  If you ever forget to loosen the collar on the trackbar, it will forever be loose.  Not to mention since you have a lift, you will need the trackbar extension.  That extension never stays tight.  It will loosen up and start clunking as it rocks.  I got fed up with mine and removed it.  BTW, the front trackbar
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 03:23:53 PM »
So I should just remove the front trackbar for offroading?  I have read that keeping it off can cause the axles to move in relationship to the springs (U-Bolts come loose).  If this is the case, I will probably keep the front trackbar for now, but remove it when I take my rig back to Panama for offroading use!

Oilsmoke

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 04:40:59 PM »
All you need is your swaybar In the Front with disco's . The rest just add weight  and kill Flex for that sport car tuner ridin Jeep  :)  Jeffy do you run the front sway bar? I do.  I think I will remove it for a month and see if I miss it much.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 05:10:24 PM »
So I should just remove the front trackbar for offroading?  I have read that keeping it off can cause the axles to move in relationship to the springs (U-Bolts come loose).  If this is the case, I will probably keep the front trackbar for now, but remove it when I take my rig back to Panama for offroading use!

No your U-bolts will not loosen if the trackbar is removed.  You'll get a bit more bumpsteer if you have it already and the steering won't be a razer sharp but it's still pretty quick and sensitive.

All you need is your swaybar In the Front with disco's . The rest just add weight  and kill Flex for that sport car tuner ridin Jeep  :)  Jeffy do you run the front sway bar? I do.  I think I will remove it for a month and see if I miss it much.

I have disconnects on my swaybar since the front is SOA.  I have a lot of weight up hi and still like to corner somewhat aggressively.  I get a lot more roll if I drive with it disconnected.  I drove it without the swaybar for a long time too.  If you drive slower, it shouldn't be a problem.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 05:36:02 PM »
Here's the picture I promised...  I guess looking at it now it does not look all that bad, but what do you guys think?

Anyway, I currently have the swaybar discos undone, but the track bar is in place.  I guess I will keep it until I am ready to go offroading with my rig (as in AFTER I have the lockers in place!).

Felipe

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 05:41:52 PM »
Even with the swaybar disconnected the trackbar will prevent the axle from moving.  Most likely the extension bracket will loosen or break.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »
Looks good, but I see a problem with the angle of the front shackles.  Almost looks as if the shackle bolts were tightened completely before the jeep's weight was back on the springs.  This would account for the poor ride and poor flex.

I would loosen the shackle bolts quite a bit, and the bolts at the frame end of the springs, and flex that jeep out nicely.  Then snug the bolts back up but not too tight.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 06:42:47 PM »
Bounty,

What is the right process for this?  Losen the shackle bolts a bit, drive around the block, and then tighten them up again?  By the way, according to the manuals I have, these bolts go really tight (100 ft/lbs), but I have read that it should not be so tight to let the shackles flex as well... 

But now that you mention it, I do think I tightened the shackles before lowering the Jeep, so I'll try losening a little, driving it around the driveway, and retightening...  If this is not the right process, please let me know!

Felipe

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 08:31:42 PM »
Bounty,

What is the right process for this?  Losen the shackle bolts a bit, drive around the block, and then tighten them up again?  By the way, according to the manuals I have, these bolts go really tight (100 ft/lbs), but I have read that it should not be so tight to let the shackles flex as well... 

But now that you mention it, I do think I tightened the shackles before lowering the Jeep, so I'll try losening a little, driving it around the driveway, and retightening...  If this is not the right process, please let me know!

Felipe

Loosen them , jump on the bumper a few times and tighten them.  100l# is really tight.  I think I run mine at 40# but some people run them even less.  The only consideration is that you're running stock shackles and bolts which don't give you a lot of thread left after you tighten them.  I forget if the nuts are locking or not, either.  You'll have to recheck them after a few hundred miles to make sure they're still tight after the suspension settles.

I can see that the driverside shackle is \ because that tire is on a slight incline while the other one is more |.  They should settle to a slight /.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 08:43:36 PM »
Loosen them , jump on the bumper a few times and tighten them.  100l# is really tight.  I think I run mine at 40# but some people run them even less.  The only consideration is that you're running stock shackles and bolts which don't give you a lot of thread left after you tighten them.  I forget if the nuts are locking or not, either.  You'll have to recheck them after a few hundred miles to make sure they're still tight after the suspension settles.

I can see that the driverside shackle is \ because that tire is on a slight incline while the other one is more |.  They should settle to a slight /.

Thanks; I'll try it this way...

Felipe

Offline jagular7

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 09:48:23 PM »
Would it be beneficial to tighten to where the bushing compresses, then loose to where the bushings is relaxed?
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Oilsmoke

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 10:49:12 PM »
I just torque my set to 12 Foot Pounds but I am using new Nylon lock nuts.  Jeffy , Bounty what's your TQ level for the shackle bolts?