Author Topic: Rubicon Express 4" lift flex  (Read 3318 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Re: Rubicon Express 4" lift flex
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 01:16:34 PM »
So, if I remove the track bars, what is the trade with regards to on-road handling?  I ask because I am using the Jeep as a daily driver and not offroading it for now; so I can just keep the track bar for now (along with the sway bar) and remove it when I take the rig back to Panama for trailing (as it will no longer be a daily driver then).

I can see a big difference in the flexing of the rear in the photo above (no track bar there), but I have read that not having the track bar can (1) cause more sway on corners (especially at higher highway speeds), and (2) cause the U-Bolt nuts to become loose...  At this time, as I said, I am planning on leaving the track bar and installing the swaybar disconnects, but I do plan to remove the track bar when I take the rig back south (I may leave the sway bar, as the discos are easy to take out; if I have problems then taking out the discos, I will loose the complete sway bar at that time).

Opinions?

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Oilsmoke

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »
why beat yourself up. Test it. and if you don't like the track off when you are on road put it back on.

I bet you can's even tell its off unless you drive it a Daytona like Jeff Gordan. :)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »
So, if I remove the track bars, what is the trade with regards to on-road handling?  I ask because I am using the Jeep as a daily driver and not offroading it for now; so I can just keep the track bar for now (along with the sway bar) and remove it when I take the rig back to Panama for trailing (as it will no longer be a daily driver then).

I can see a big difference in the flexing of the rear in the photo above (no track bar there), but I have read that not having the track bar can (1) cause more sway on corners (especially at higher highway speeds), and (2) cause the U-Bolt nuts to become loose...  At this time, as I said, I am planning on leaving the track bar and installing the swaybar disconnects, but I do plan to remove the track bar when I take the rig back south (I may leave the sway bar, as the discos are easy to take out; if I have problems then taking out the discos, I will loose the complete sway bar at that time).

Opinions?

Felipe

There will be more movement up front so the steering might feel a bit different.  it won't be as sharp but you'll get used to it fast.  The onlt other downside is bumpsteer but that will only really happen if you punch the brakes hard.  Depending on how stiff the front springs are, you might not have that much bump steer. (Bumpsteer: because of the steering geometry, the Jeep will pull to one sice as the suspension compresses, or pull to the other side when it bounces back.)

Keep in mind CJ's do not have trackbars and have been on the road since '79.  Removing the track bar will not cause the U-bolts to loosen.  If they are properly tighten then there should be no problems. (this is the first I've ever heard of this) The trackbars do not control sway.  They are there to limit the suspension movement.  Since your leafs have a higher spring rate (read stiffer), I doubt you'll have any more lean then you would with the stock suspension.

I think I've mentioned this before, if you leave the trackbar on and try to flex the suspension, you will eventually break the trackbar extension bracket.  Worst case you could crack the housing where the trackbar mounts to.  The weakest link is that extension though.

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2007, 02:05:46 PM »
OK, I think I will try it without the track bar and see how it handles...  I'll check for bumpsteer and such, and then decide.

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost