Author Topic: "Check Gauges" light coming on. Need help a.s.a.p.  (Read 2106 times)

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
"Check Gauges" light coming on. Need help a.s.a.p.
« on: July 30, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »
I was driving home this morning and my check gauges light came on. I looked at all the gauges and the alternator/voltage gauge was fluctuating. It has never done this before. Also, when I attempted to start it previous to the light coming on, it hesitated to crank over. Got it home and checked for codes and turned up with nothing. Went to start it again and the pre-start beeping was not as loud as usual and the dash lights didn't come on but it started after some hesitation. I'm thinking battery, starter or alternator but I'd like some assistance before I go throwing parts at it. I need to get this fixed fast because this is a busy week for me.

Thanks,
Jay
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

jcsanders79

Re: "Check Gauges" light coming on. Need help a.s.a.p.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 09:29:32 AM »
Are you sure you did the code check right. Turn the key to the ignition on position (make sure not to start it) three times in a row.  Even when my check engine light is not on there is always at least one code that pops up.

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 10:09:53 AM »
Are you sure you did the code check right. Turn the key to the ignition on position (make sure not to start it) three times in a row.  Even when my check engine light is not on there is always at least one code that pops up.

Yup, did it right. Display said "done" with no code showing. Anyway, did a load test on the alternator and it came up good. Starter was good also. Engaged with no problem and had plenty of torque. Checked all the cables and the negative coming off of the battery is bad and needs to be replaced. Also, the battery is o.e. from 02 and isn't properly holding a charge anymore. It doesn't help that the wife left the lights on a few weeks ago for just over eight hours. So, the battery is getting replaced with a yellow top optima and I'm replacing all the wires today.

I hate charging/electric troubles.  :yikes: :uhoh:
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

jcsanders79

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 10:42:44 AM »
YEAH Yellow Top, those things are the stuff.  I wouldn't trade mine for any other battery!  :thumb:

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:52:19 AM »
YEAH Yellow Top, those things are the stuff.  I wouldn't trade mine for any other battery!  :thumb:

I wasn't sure if I should get the yellow top or red top. I'm leaning towards the yellow though.

jcsanders79

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
I think that the yellow top has equal if not a little higher cold cranking amps and the deep cell, thats why I went with it.  At the time I had no real reason but now I have a winch, additional lights and an electric fan.  I can run all three at the same time with the engine cut off if I want to and it will crank right up.  I took my doors off once and forgot the flip the switch that cuts off power to the dome lights and it sat like that nearly a week and it started right up.  I vote yellow.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:53:11 PM »
I've never had problems with my red top 800U.  It's around 10 years old now, I think.  I've drained it dead a couple times, too.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 01:26:30 PM »
Red here as well....but less than a year old.  I think I just need a new alternator to power up all the crap I have on my rig.  I like the looks of that new low torque on...saw it in a mag this month??
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 05:57:53 PM »
Hmm, yellow is deep cycle. As far as I know most motor vehicles aren't designed to charge a deep cycle properly... correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm correct then tomorrow I'm going to pick up a red top.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 06:06:24 PM »
Hmm, yellow is deep cycle. As far as I know most motor vehicles aren't designed to charge a deep cycle properly... correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm correct then tomorrow I'm going to pick up a red top.

Yellow and Blue tops are Starter/Deep Cycle.  They should be fine to use.   Red Tops are pretty tough though.  Not to mention they are usually cheaper.  I bought mine for around $100.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Oilsmoke

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 06:47:03 PM »
I have a red top Great battery. Jeffy right they are alot cheaper the Blue. Yellow top is the wrong choice for a starter battery. I would go blue before yellow . Red better for a DD.

jcsanders79

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 08:31:09 PM »
Actually most optima batteries are rated as a starter battery.  Infact the dual purpose can provide longer life if your electrical system will experience heavy discharges.  There is one blue top that is a starting battery but it is geared towards marine use. 

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 02:29:38 AM »
The redtop is not a deep cycle, and the yellow and bluetop (D34M) are a combo deep cycle/starting battery.  There is a bluetop that is a deep cycle only, it has a white case.  The combo bluetop has a gray case.  The yellow and blue are similar but the bluetop has extra stainless threaded posts on top (where I attached my winch connections).  I'm real happy with the blue.