Author Topic: D35 axle truss  (Read 3598 times)

01amberfirewv

D35 axle truss
« on: September 19, 2005, 09:33:03 AM »
I have read so many different things about the D35.  It seems like some of them are more prone to breakage than others (as Jeffy said on here).  I have heard (though not seen) of people breaking them @ stoplights and have seen one handle some medium duty trials on 37's with 4.88's.  

The last person I talked to (very reputable around the Jeeping comunity) said that the main problem is flexing of the housing which can crush the axle gears.  Wouldn't an Axle truss help this?

trailblazer95

D35 axle truss
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 01:50:27 PM »
they sell a "Super 35" kit in various places, it comes with a detroit locker, strengthened shafts (i think), and an axle truss... It lists for about $995.  

I broke mine, I'll tell everyone I know who runs above a 32" tire with any traction device to upgrade axles ASAP.   It's completely useless wasting all that money "beefing up" the D35, when you could spend a little bit more money to buy a ready to bolt in 8.8, D44, Ford 9", or Toyota 8".  I was one of those people who thought I could keep my 35 forever, until I airlocked it, threw 4.88's in it and hit some rocks... 2nd time out I broke the axle, ring&pinion, and broke the ARB.  it took me about a second and a half after the "POW-SNAP" before I realized i had just spent $1200 for something that would break WAY too easy.

Sure, you'll see some morons still running a D35 with huge tires, but mark my words, it WILL break sooner or later.  I'd rather have a different axle with the security knowing that it's NOT going to break rather than having to deal with the break again.  That was a f-ing nightmare.

joe-joe

D35 axle truss
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 10:54:25 PM »
Quote from: "trailblazer95"

I broke mine, I'll tell everyone I know who runs above a 32" tire with any traction device to upgrade axles ASAP.   It's completely useless wasting all that money "beefing up" the D35, when you could spend a little bit more money to buy a ready to bolt in 8.8, D44, Ford 9", or Toyota 8".  I was one of those people who thought I could keep my 35 forever, until I airlocked it, threw 4.88's in it and hit some rocks... 2nd time out I broke the axle, ring&pinion, and broke the ARB.  it took me about a second and a half after the "POW-SNAP" before I realized i had just spent $1200 for something that would break WAY too easy.

Isn't the "Super 35 kit" a 30 spline shaft? I also think a D44 is a 30 spline shaft, so if you truss the 35 wouldn't you have the same axle as a d44? I think it is hard to find an 8.8 or ford9" that is a simple "bolt on" for most of us. I am not trying to argue, just trying to state that some people might not need to find a replacement axle.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
D35 axle truss
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 12:23:12 AM »
Spline count, axle shaft size and a truss; D44 make not.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

trailblazer95

D35 axle truss
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 07:37:53 AM »
Quote from: "joe-joe"
I think it is hard to find an 8.8 or ford9" that is a simple "bolt on" for most of us.

You've obviously never loooked then.  OK4wd out of NY offers a bolt in Ford 8.8 axle, set up with TJ or YJ bracketry, 4.10 gears, disc brakes, and a limited slip, that's a complete bolt-in for less than $1500 ($1100 for YJ).  
http://www.ok4wd.com/product.asp?id=547

Not to mention Currie Enterprises, who will build you a complete bolt in 9" as well.  Hell, if you've got a TJ, head to the junkyard or ebay and find yourself a D44 rear, and you're done!!!

Every 4wd shop, with the exception of national retail chains should also be able to do the custom axle setup work for you.  Just call around and check.

01amberfirewv

D35 axle truss
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 08:49:48 AM »
Direct bolt in.  Does that meen not lines valves or anything else to change?  That doesn't sound too bad too me but it is still a little expensive especaily since they will probubly add more for 4.88's which are a must for a 2.5 especialy when you consider the extra weight you just added.  

I don't know what I'll end up doing.  I wish I would have got a Rubi when I had the chance :cry:

Think I'll post a poll anyway

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
D35 axle truss
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 11:01:56 AM »
www.car-part.com for a ton of Ford 8.8's with choice of differential type and gear ratio.  4.10 and LS is pretty common, for as low as $250 or $300.  May even be one near you.

They're also available under Mercury Mountaineer's, The Mazda Navajo, and maybe a few others.

Oilsmoke

D35 axle truss
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 09:33:48 PM »
Well Jeffy told me about 3 years ago to do an 8.8 so I did.
I bought a 2001 exploder with 4.10 gears and Disk brakes drop it off at Mount Logan off-road and for a total of 945 dollars I had it all and never got my hands dirty. Driveline angle where set buy them also. I had to do was fab an e brake bracket for the unequal length stock ford ones. It’s  One Nice setup if you ask me.

D35 is a Lame Ass rear-end, It life is not worth a Nickel spent.
8.8, Tube & housing are pure beef. If you Love your Jeep, than Turn a Wrench and Make it better.