Author Topic: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud (rear)  (Read 7027 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud (rear)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 04:10:48 PM »
Thanks for the info David.  I've added it to the FAQ.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

delkan99

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 07:40:48 PM »
AS to the plastic spacer,
I believe it is to solve the broken studs on the manifold,
The head bolts are cheap, $3 to $4 each,
the head studs, are the expensive one's,
you don't even need them,
they just mount the wiring harness and one ground,

Hey Jeff love the new look

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 11:54:44 PM »
Just joined?

Looks like the Studs aren't that expensive actually.  The bolts were never really the problem.  Those front and rear studs are although I've never had that problem.  I'm not sure what really causes it other then the different expansion and contraction rate of the metals used.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

david97tj

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 08:37:25 AM »
Quote from: "Jeffy"
Just joined?

Looks like the Studs aren't that expensive actually.  The bolts were never really the problem.  Those front and rear studs are although I've never had that problem.  I'm not sure what really causes it other then the different expansion and contraction rate of the metals used.

That is pretty much what I have heard.  When I picked up the head from the machine shop, the shop manager pretty much said the same thing, that the header and head move due to heating and it shears the studs off.  If I remember correctly, both of my bolts broke on cold mornings (cold for Florida that is HAHAHA).

I suspect that with the new Banks header, it won't happen.  I think the full length gasket might make a difference.  The OEM exhaust header is installed without a gasket.  Only the Intake has a gasket.  Go figure.

Well, I am installing everything today.  I will report back this evening.

cya,
David

david97tj

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 08:40:08 AM »
Quote from: "Jeffy"
Thanks for the info David.  I've added it to the FAQ.

Your welcome.  Glad I could contribute some useful information.

david97tj

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 09:52:38 PM »
Well, I have it all together and everything looks good.  I didn't encounter any  problems.  I followed the service manual and the Banks instructions.  The Banks Header bolted right on, without any problems.  It fit perfectly.  Actually, it is pretty much a precision fit.  There AIN'T no slop in putting it on.  You gotta get it straight or there will be problems trying to get the #1 bolt to thread.

So far, no error codes and the water and oil are being nice to one another.  It was pretty scary to crank it for the first time.  Once the fuel system pressurized, it came to life and just hummed.  I drove it a few miles already, hammering it a little bit.  It definitely has a bit more "go" in it.  Although, it is difficult for me to tell how much is new and what is a result of getting my CLOGGED cat and muffler replaced.

I will try to get the write-up online this weekend, with pictures.

Oh, it took me about 10 to 12 hours to get everything reinstalled.

Good night,
David

david97tj

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 11:05:53 AM »
Folks,

Here is my Banks Exhaust write-up.  It is PDF, so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.  I may end up putting it online as web pages, but for it is PDF.  Enjoy!

Cheers,
David