Author Topic: Luggage Trailer  (Read 9045 times)

Offline jagular7

Luggage Trailer
« on: May 11, 2009, 06:51:27 AM »
This subject has been brought up in my local Jeep club. I've been researching this for couple of years now since I have 2 kids that wheel with me. Long trips I use hotels and overnight bags, jackets, coolers, etc make the back seat rather small quickly. Thus a requirement for a small trailer. What is also nice about a trailer is once at a destination, I can take the doors and windows off and secure them to the trailer. I no longer have to worry about using someone's truck bed and if we separate and they leave early. Light weight motorcycle cargo trailers are basically what you would be looking for. Problem is the height of the frame and tow point. They can also get very expensive as a trailer in the motorcycle crowd.

To make your own, go to Harbor Freight and look at their 40x48" trailers. They come in 8" (860#s) and 12" (1200#s). 12" is more expensive. You will be looking at a cheap metric trailer, but it'll work. Or you can look for a small utility trailer to buy. Craigslist is full of them in various conditions and sizes. I thought a small personal water craft (jetski) type of trailer or a small boat trailer would also work really well.

Once you get your trailer, you will need to configure the suspension for the weight you'll be carrying on it. Many times, you will get a slipper spring suspension where the spring only has the front eye mounted in a bracket and the rear slides along the frame. These are relatively stiff. You can upgrade that to a regular shackle leaf suspension, but it can get expensive. Most of the time, the slipper spring will work but it needs weight to work correctly. Otherwise, you trailer will bounce along and as it bounces it will shift side to side.

Next is the cargo box. You can look at adding a large roof top car cargo box as many mc trailers are just that. Many are from Sears on CL and cheap. They are plastic and have really no structure to them. But they will do the job. You can look at fabbing your own box with a cover as well. Make it out of nice wood and treat the wood to keep it nice. That way, the box covers the trailer frame and is built for the size of the frame.
Or recently on CL, someone took an old refrigerator and put it on a trailer frame for a MC trailer. It was painted flat black and looked quite different.

This is what I had recently to put together as a luggage trailer. Its a 12" HF frame ($100) and rooftop cargo box ($25) I got off CL. I didn't like how the box sat on the frame so I sold that.

Yes, that is a M416 trailer in the pic. I got the HF frame on Friday and then bought the M416 trailer on Sunday off CL.

The old refrigerator that listed for $550 on CL.

This one has popuped on KC CL couple of times. Its a BackPacker, a plastic tub in a frame.

Also listed on KC CL weeks ago.

What it looks like inside a car top cargo carrier on a frame.

Adding a simple cargo box.

Some other great ideas

Other box ideas would be an old ice box, steamer trunk, regular diamond plate truck tool box, etc.

This is what I'd like to make mine look like as a mini military trailer.

If you can get a small boat trailer, cutting it shorter is easy to do. Then you can fab a rear crossmember or add a tongue to it. That is what I did about 2 years ago. I never got around to finishing it and sold the frame.

Edit: listed on KC CL for $625 as another refrigerator on a trailer.
motorcycle trailer to pull behind your cycle. - $625 (n.w.mo)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here is another custom made trailer to pull behind your motorcycle. the other one has sold. dont wait till its time to go to Sturgis, you need one of these to carry your stuff.
this one is just a bit smaller than the other one, this one is 31" wide, 45" long, and 16" tall. about 12 cu foot storage. this one is a bit lighter too at 150lbs. empty.
i will sell it as is ready to paint, or you can paint it to match your bike or i can paint it black. it will have a standard 4 wire set of stop turn lights installed unless you want leds or something else custom like Maltese cross tail lights etc.
just give me a call as to what you want on the trailer and i can probably add it, cooler rack, hub caps, etc. bob 660 663 9369

I went and bought a large yard cart off ebay from Cargo Largo. Here is what I'm looking to do for a luggage trailer. I'm going to extend the tongue another ~2' to carry the longer-than-trailer box. Imagine the trailer bed color camo tan, the frame camo green. Wheels and fenders flat black. With a soft tonneau cover held on tight through bungee cord onto hooks. (ie similar to the M416).

Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline chardrc

Re: Luggage Trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:13:38 AM »
looks great.. but im still wondering why you didn't just use the m416 trailer for the cargo?
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:23:32 AM »
My next big project is going to be a trailer kinda like this one http://www.milspecoffroad.com/ I have been gathering stuff for awhile now. My goal is to have it done by next summer. It's a shame that Milspec went out of business. They made a beautifull trailer!
 I have the same problem with 2 kids. Once the back seat goes in there is not much room for stuff.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline jagular7

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »
looks great.. but im still wondering why you didn't just use the m416 trailer for the cargo?

I thought of that myself.... :brick:

Since there are not many M416's around, I thought a similar setup would help others to fill their needs. I also picked this up last Sat for $150.

Its an old Appleby tent camper. Date is 12/70. There is no tent camper anymore, just a box with a lid. The lid is quite heavy as owner removed bad plywood and added 2 sheets of 1/2 FRP. Add a couple pop springs (ie hood springs) and a prop rod and here is another luggage trailer. The co-clubber is contemplating on getting this from me. He and his wife want to tour for 2 months in the western states during the summer. They like to golf and hit lighter trails. So this box is a lot bigger and would fit their needs of a TJ pulling a trailer with their gear. They thought of a hitch tray with a cargo box, but to remove it would take 2 people as well as emptying it out. They they would have to lug it into their hotel room. A trailer can be locked and secured both at tongue and wheels as well as chained to a post in direct view of hotel mgmt which would pretty much keep theives at bay.

The M416 does need some maintenance work on the surface rust. I'll get to that sometime this summer. The M416 sort came by surprise with a $350 price on CL so I quickly moved on it.
Jagular7

Offline jagular7

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:42:09 AM »
My next big project is going to be a trailer kinda like this one http://www.milspecoffroad.com/ I have been gathering stuff for awhile now. My goal is to have it done by next summer. It's a shame that Milspec went out of business. They made a beautifull trailer!
 I have the same problem with 2 kids. Once the back seat goes in there is not much room for stuff.

2 forums that may help you with your project for ideas and actually construction.
Expedition Portal
Toyota I Hate Mud trailer
Jagular7

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:22:05 AM »
2 forums that may help you with your project for ideas and actually construction.
Expedition Portal
Toyota I Hate Mud trailer

I have been looking around on those sites for a couple years now. Some great info.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »
I have seen a luggage trailer in airport. They used this trailer to get the luggage of passengers. This is a nice trailer because as a passenger, you are not going to carry your luggage. But I have searched that even in a trip, this luggage trailer will change the way you road-trip and enjoy the outdoors, and will give you that extra space you so often need with a small car.   

it's nice to see some thoughtful posts here for a change  :wall:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:09:47 PM »
it's nice to see some thoughtful posts here for a change  :wall:
Spammers are nice huh?   :lol:
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:55:35 PM »
Spammers are nice huh?   :lol:

yeah, it's nice you don't have to carry your luggage in the airport, way to go Mopar for helping the little guys  :roflol:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »

These are going to be the future of expo type wheeling  :thumbsup:
Scott~

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 11:58:25 PM »

These are going to be the future of expo type wheeling  :thumbsup:
It isn't big enough for al your stuff.   :lol:
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 12:14:03 AM »
It isn't big enough for al your stuff.   :lol:

Hello, more than one can be towed at once  :lol:

Scott~