Author Topic: CJ front end swap on a YJ  (Read 12050 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: CJ front end swap on a YJ
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2009, 12:12:49 AM »
it looks great anyway but if you must have flares I would consider these:

'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Jesse-James

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 07:13:12 AM »
Bushwackers don't survive my kind of wheeling. These are pliable and cheap if I wreck one.

They do look better though.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 07:13:41 AM by Jesse-James »

Offline chardrc

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2009, 10:25:10 AM »
the bad thing with the bushwhackers is that they mount lower (becasue of exposed bolts) so you loose tire clearance. but they look kool
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »
the bad thing with the bushwhackers is that they mount lower (becasue of exposed bolts) so you loose tire clearance. but they look kool

What about some CJ Warn trail flares?  I have heard some good reviews about those taking on trail hits...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Jesse-James

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2009, 12:23:20 PM »
They're still over $400 for some plastic flares.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2009, 01:05:29 PM »
Bushwackers don't survive my kind of wheeling. These are pliable and cheap if I wreck one.

They do look better though.

i banged mine quite a bit, they flex but i had a log sticking under the front left one and it cracked the tabs on the mounting screws - so from that perspective you are correct, wish they had something more "rubbery" - you can't beat their looks though unless you go with some tube flares/fenders.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Jeep_Lust

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 07:19:53 AM »
Once I was able to line them up after trimming, I couldn't believe how well they fit. The bolts/holes from the fenders to the tub and even the supports lined right up. The hood was a direct bolt on as well.

How did you handle the taller grille and shorter hood? Were you already running a body lift? Did you extend the grille mount to get it to bolt up?

Thanks. - Paul Roz...

(Grille arrived yesterday; hood gets picked up next week. May go with round Diamondplate trailer fenders hanging from the hood, so that when you open the hood the fenders go with it. Poor man's one piece front end. I don't see much mud, just snow and rocks...)

Jesse-James

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 03:47:03 PM »
Yes, I had done a 1" BL prior to the swap and welded an extension to the mount support. Also cut a couple pieces of an old V belt to use as snubbers between the grill and frame.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2010, 11:20:59 PM »
Ok, I'm going to bring this one up again.  I might be able to get a complete CJ-7 hood and grill for $80.  What would I need to do to hang the radiator in the stock location without welding?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »
Ok, I'm going to bring this one up again.  I might be able to get a complete CJ-7 hood and grill for $80.  What would I need to do to hang the radiator in the stock location without welding?

don't you need the fenders too? i thought the hood nose (the edge going around the grill) is narrower on the CJ

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 11:55:06 PM »
don't you need the fenders too? i thought the hood nose (the edge going around the grill) is narrower on the CJ
No, you can pinch the fenders up front and drill them to fit the CJ grill.  This allows you to retain YJ or TJ flares which mount flush as well as gives you a bit more engine compartment room.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Jesse-James

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 08:01:55 AM »
Ok, I'm going to bring this one up again.  I might be able to get a complete CJ-7 hood and grill for $80.  What would I need to do to hang the radiator in the stock location without welding?

Not completely sure as I used a CJ radiator.

That is a great deal to get started though.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:02:25 AM by Jesse-James »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 08:31:54 AM »
No, you can pinch the fenders up front and drill them to fit the CJ grill.  This allows you to retain YJ or TJ flares which mount flush as well as gives you a bit more engine compartment room.

cool

and what JJ said, that's a really good deal

looking forward to hear more about this

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 12:02:51 PM »
The only problem I have is having to store a grill and hood.  I'm still 50/50 if I should buy it or not.

No one seems to have any good guides on how to mount the stock radiator.  JP Magazine either bolted to welded some straps to the grill.

Also, can you reuse the YJ grill supports?  The other reason for wanting to keep the YJ radiator is that the fan fits it perfectly.  It would be too big on a CJ radiator.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:18:48 PM by Jeffy »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
The only problem I have is having to store a grill and hood.  I'm still 50/50 if I should buy it or not.

No one seems to have any guides on how to mount the stock radiator.  JP Magazine had one but they also didn't really say how it mounted.  Although they did weld new hangers.

Also, can you reuse the YJ grill supports?  The other reason for wanting to keep the YJ radiator is that the fan fits it perfectly.  It would be too big on a CJ radiator.

i can't see any reason for which you would not be able to use your radiator. the YJ rad has 4 mounting holes on the sides and 2 brackets on top, even if the CJ opening is smaller the YJ rad mounting bracket on the driver's side is about 3'' wide (if not more) so i think would be enough room to drill new holes. if it hits anywhere you can get some spacers made out of aluminum square tubing, 1x1x3/16, they'll be light, cheap and look good. for the top brackets i don't see that being a problem. for the grill supports you might need to fab couple of 90 deg bracket if the CJ does not have them.