Author Topic: clunk, clunk, clunk after OME kit  (Read 3126 times)

01amberfirewv

clunk, clunk, clunk after OME kit
« on: December 27, 2005, 03:49:01 PM »
I have noticed a clunking sound after I installed the OME kit but it may not be related.  It is comming from the back so I check the bar-pins and they seem fine.  The only thing that seems lose under the Jeep is the sway-bar but I don't think it can be tightend and really doesnt seem like it is abnormal.  Is there anything else I should check?  Has anyone else had this problem?

SMC4WD

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 04:46:26 PM »
I hope that someone could give you better information than me, but try getting someone to shake the heck out of the Jeep.  Climb underneath and listen carefully.  Find that clunk.  If it wasn't there before the suspension upgrade, and it's there afterwards, it will most likely be something that you've touched.

You can call ARB, but they won't be able to help much if they don't know what the problem is...

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 04:48:41 PM »
Is the noise from when the body leans left to right or front to back?  I'd suspect the track bars if it's a hard thunk.  Also check your control arms.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

01amberfirewv

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 06:39:48 PM »
I had my wife drive and I rode in the back.  It sounds like something is hitting the tub.  It happens on mose uneven surfaces

SMC4WD

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 09:38:17 PM »
The OME lift is only 2"...  Some other lifts rotate the rear axle, and the body of the shock hits the axle tube.  

Teraflex has this rear shock relocator.  But that shouldn't be the issue with that lift.

Check the shock bushings...  Make sure that they're snugged down.  The top has a newer (redesigned) bar pin.  See if you got that installed correctly.

Or try: 1.888.4ARBUSA, Steve or Kris are there 8:00am to 4:30pm PST - Wednesday & Thursday,  Closed Friday and Monday for the holidays.

Offline jagular7

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 08:52:21 AM »
Who put the lift on?

If it was you, double check to make sure what you had loosen you had tighten. If you have a floor jack, remove a tire, and raise/lower the axle. What the shock ends, track bar ends, and the coil in the mounts as you lift and lower the axle (up/down if possible and not up and up and up then down, down, down). Do this at all corners. If you haven't located the problem, check
- the trans/engine mounts
- the battery mount
- sway bar frame mount and link connections
- center hole cover on the wheels (sometimes these are not tight and clank while rotating)
- parking cables floating or are they secured to the upper control arms
- tailpipe

just some ideas.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

01amberfirewv

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 08:44:37 PM »
Thanks for all of the ideas.  I have checked basicly every thing above and it seems like everything is tight.  I had a buddy of mine help me by double checking everything and he banged on everything under the Jeep, jumped on the bumper and rocked the Jeep. Inside it sounded like it is comming from the top of the gas tank  The only thing we found lose was a break line that we bent back into place. When I headed home I heard....CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK every time I hit a bump or when I have a lot of vibs.The thing that gets me is that I can hear the same noise (although it changes from a clunk to a rattle) when I get vibs, such as drive line or gravel roads. So it would seems like something is lose but but there is no sign of rubbing on anything.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 09:53:48 PM »
Have someone stand on the bumper or in the door opening and rock the Jeep hard.  Loose doesn't mean finger tight.  Hitting a bump, rocking or driving, caused more force then you can probably manage by hand.

I'd guess a swaybar, trackbar, control arm...
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

tctenng

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 06:41:19 AM »
Could be a bad/incorrect shock. I am assuming you installed new shocks with the kit. If not, it could be a shock topping out.

Gregg

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 01:10:22 PM »
Simple test would be to just disconnect the shocks and take a drive then.

Offline bestos

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 09:16:14 AM »
my car, which believe it or not, had a similar problem, a big knock when i went over bumps.  this is shortly after i put the sway bar on.  I did not have the nuts that hold the bar to the end links on tight enough.  with a small 14mm wrencha and an allen key, it was tough, but got some different tools that helped.  gotta have it tight.  check that first like Jeffy said.

i couldnt hear the sound of the sway when i pushed on it, because, you can never push that suspension when it is resting, like a bump on a road at 45 mph.  so that why it is so hard to simulate while not moving.  that my exp. with another vehicle, but i think it still applies.

01amberfirewv

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 07:34:39 AM »
Would the shocks make the rattle noise with vibrations?  I was wander if they could be to blame.  I do have some side to side play in the swaybar but it seems normal.

Offline bestos

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 07:37:52 AM »
side to side?  like you can move it?  with the jeep on the ground?  that doesnt sound right.

did you install the shocks inverse or no?