Author Topic: 33" tire in the stock carrier  (Read 3200 times)

jcsanders79

Re: 33" tire in the stock carrier
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 08:27:52 PM »
I had a 33" on my stock TJ for a while and it did fine.  If you want to keep the stock brake light you'll have to get 1" spacers though, don't know if the YJ has that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:30:10 PM by jcsanders79 »

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 09:14:52 AM »
You might consider getting a narrow All Terrain as a spare to cut down on weight back there.  I haven't gotten around to it but that is what I plan to do.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 09:28:06 AM »
I had a 33" on my stock TJ for a while and it did fine.  If you want to keep the stock brake light you'll have to get 1" spacers though, don't know if the YJ has that.

The spacer I already have a plan for (I will use a section of the stock front bumper to raise it about 3").  I still have to extend the bump stops about 3" as well, and I have not gotten around to that, so for now the spare is in the garage to avoid damage.

You might consider getting a narrow All Terrain as a spare to cut down on weight back there.  I haven't gotten around to it but that is what I plan to do.

Because I plan to use this rig as a weekend toy from now on, and I will mostly be hitting mud (the clay-like stuff), I'd rather have a full sized MT spare (which I already bought) on, but thanks for the advice anyway!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
As far as the Bestop tire carrier it seems like a good unit. The only time I have seen someone complain about the is in this thread.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504825
But I don't think you will have problems with the road salt. ;)
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 12:43:45 PM »
As far as the Bestop tire carrier it seems like a good unit. The only time I have seen someone complain about the is in this thread.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504825
But I don't think you will have problems with the road salt. ;)
'

interesting thread - that looks like bad weld btw, might have something to do with rust which was plenty on that but it should not rust thru to the point that the pipe would break off the weld, but in any case i agree with the guy that it should not just crack like that even though 50 other pple on that thread said he's got his money's worth after 7 years. Besttop should have replaced it free of charge and appologize (and if you're asking me give him a gift coupon as well for not killing the pple behind him or in the opposite lane on the hwy with his 33'' tire flying thru their windshield) - there should be some liability on the manufacturer's end same as Firestone had when their tires were failing. It was probably an isolated incident, but if something bad happened i wonder if their response would've been the same. If it is only meant to last 1 year (length of the warranty) it should be stated on the instructions to be replaced after that, it is a safety concern as these rims/tires weigh a ton not to mention when flying off at hwy speed. And i got quite a bit off topic...

but to get back to the tire carrier it is probably a good idea to give it couple of coats of frame paint or roll-cage paint as looking at mine yesterday i noticed a few spots that are starting to show a bit of rust (nothing like the guy in the thread above) - oh, the reason i was checking the tailgate is b/c i found one of my old tailgate hinges and wanted to see if they are the same hole pattern as TJs - 3 holes match but one doesn't, not sure if YJs had more than 1 kind but on mine required an additional hole on the outer right side of the hinge(s).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 12:45:32 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 02:15:39 PM »
After looking at that thread, I'd speculate that it was caused by the tire bouncing up and down.  The minute vibrations fatigued the weld and after a few years it cracked.  Then it after 7, it broke.  I doubt that rust had much to do with it.  The rust inside the weld area only happened because it had already cracked was exposed.  BTDT.

Should Best Top have replaced it?  Well their warranty explicitly says:

THE WARRANTY TIME PERIOD IS AS FOLLOWS FOR ALL OTHER “HARD GOODS” MANUFACTURED BY OUR COMPANY (USING PRIMARILY METALS, PLASTICS, AND/OR FIBERGLASS): ONE YEAR FROM DATE OF PURCHASE.

To complain after 7 is a bit much.  It wasn't even that difficult a problem.  A few minutes with a welder and it could have been fixed.  Then again, it's JU.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 02:39:31 PM »
well, i hope i don't end up with the same problem :'(

my guess is it had a crack from the beginning and it took 7 years to make it all the way around - if it was the pipe that broke i'd agree with you but looks to me that it was a bad weld. Anyway, you're right that after 7 years there's not much that you can wait for or demand, i still think that Besttop could've handled it better - i know i would get upset with them if that happened to me - but i might be biased here (hmm, actually i think it's pretty obvious) since i own the same item.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
well, i hope i don't end up with the same problem :'(

my guess is it had a crack from the beginning and it took 7 years to make it all the way around - if it was the pipe that broke i'd agree with you but looks to me that it was a bad weld. Anyway, you're right that after 7 years there's not much that you can wait for or demand, i still think that Besttop could've handled it better - i know i would get upset with them if that happened to me - but i might be biased here (hmm, actually i think it's pretty obvious) since i own the same item.
You can still see the complete bead of weld still attached to the flat.  The pipe cracked right at the edge of the weld.  By all of the rust you can see the 1/4" area where it was still attached to before it broke.

"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »

thought that came off with the weld, but i might be wrong. anyway, you and 20 others on that thread said he was unreasonable so i'll go by that since it is an overwhelming majority
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:32:53 PM by sharpxmen »

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
No matter who's tire carrier you have home made or aftermarket you should be keeping an eye on it everynow and then. The cracks should have been spotted before it failed.
I'm with the crowd on this one. 7 years is a bit much to complain.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 12:29:49 PM »

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 07:08:38 PM »
http://www.gotreks.com/page.asp?pageid=285

Here is another option. It says for CJ but it's bolt on and works with the TJ and LJ so I don't see why it wouldn't work with a YJ. Cost more than the Bestop one thou.
Scott~

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »
http://www.gotreks.com/page.asp?pageid=285

Here is another option. It says for CJ but it's bolt on and works with the TJ and LJ so I don't see why it wouldn't work with a YJ. Cost more than the Bestop one thou.

the tailgate hinges are in the way for TJ/YJ and their mount points are in the same place - in the pic they have the tailgate on the CJ folds down and the hinges are on the bottom. not sure why they wouldn't make one for T/YJ, maybe becaust they would need a bend on the pipes going across to clear the hinges (the bestop is that way think - too lazy to go look)