Author Topic: intake manifold gasket  (Read 1887 times)

Offline que89yj

intake manifold gasket
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
I put a new header on the rig and got everything back together after messing with the POS EGR tube for way too long and almost committing hari kari after dealing with the bottom 2 bolts on the intake before figuring out that I can put those bolts on before I slide the intake into place. After getting everything hooked back up to no big surprise, I have an intake leak around the gasket. I tried to tighten the bolt again and no luck. So I am going to have to do this again. I am better prepared this time but I have a few questions:
1) The book says dry gasket for the intake and exhaust, but will using a high temp gasket sealant help?
2) I replaced the head bolts with grade 8 bolts and washers, but the stock bolts had a cone shaped spacers(washer) on the bolts, are they necessary for correctly torque on the manifolds?
3) The power steering pully seem to be putting a little torque on the intake when I line it up to tighten it down. Is that normal?
4) EGR valve had a small metal plate the same size as the gasket on top of the gasket that had a much smaller hole than the gasket or intake. Is it necessary?
5) How are you suppose to put a torque on bolts you can only get to with a box wrench?

ANY other pointer would be appreciated. Thanks

pioneer4x4

Re: intake manifold gasket
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:29:16 PM »
is it actually a header or is it a stock manifold? because as far as im aware the only header made for the 2.5 with a egr connection on it is clifford. if its stock manifold, i wouldnt wet the gasket before install, if it is a header and ur using a paper type gasket then i would soak it. the rtv thing im not sure about i havent used it on my exhaust gasket before, but some people swear by it. i just felt that it would burn off sooner or later and leak, since the highest rated rtv is the ultra copper that is rated for 700 F. and headers and manifolds well exceed that temp. the washers need to be curved like that to be able to snug it up, since the intake and header/manifold aren't going to be the same exact thickness. you might get away with using bent washers. but make sure the washers are THICK. also make sure they're torqued to spec. and as for the power steering deal, mine does that same thing, doesn't hurt as long as u line up the bolt holes while ur bolting it to the intake so u dont strip out the aluminum threads, its easy to do. i would leave the egr plate like it was originally, its probably an orfice to meter how much exhaust fumes escape into the engine. GOOD LUCK with keeping your headers from leaking if it is really a header! i had a pair on my xj for a year or so and went through 3 gaskets. they are a real pain to keep sealed. i finally got fed up with it and put the stock manifold back on. hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:42:14 PM by pioneer4x4 »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:47:55 PM »
it is most likely not seated (but how do you know you have a leak btw, it idles high?) - not sure what year is you jeep but on mine it had 2 horizontal bolts going thru the power steering pump bracket and into the intake header - did you put these in (if yours have them of course). And is your gasket 1 piece or one for intake and 1 for exhaust. I took my exhaust out today (and intake) and removed a broken stud - i am planning to use coarse/fine studs with brass nuts as i don't want to do this again if i ever need to take the exhaust/intake out - took couple of hours to remove that little piece of screw out of there - my gasket is one piece and it came with the pacesetter header i got.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline que89yj

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 06:41:32 AM »
It is a one piece gasket. I dont have any studs, just bolts going into the head. I have a high idle(about 1500) and I used starter fluid to verify the leak around the gasket. I did buy a header with the egr tube. It was a great deal and I thought $150 for  a few extra ponies for the 4 angry squirrels couldn't hurt. Surprising enough I took it out for a spin and the changes I made with the electric fan and the header have made a difference. I am able to push it up to 85 on the freeway even with the intake leak. I was barely able to get to 70 before.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 08:03:50 AM »
It is a one piece gasket. I dont have any studs, just bolts going into the head. I have a high idle(about 1500) and I used starter fluid to verify the leak around the gasket.

is the exhaust header same thickness as the intake manifold - with the header i got there are some washers that are on one half thicker to compensate for the difference between the 2 - check if yours are same thickness or not as the exhaust and intake share 4 bolts (i think). if they're different then you'll have to find a way to adjust the washers to compensate (grind half of it).

and that's quite an improvement on the top speed (15mph difference)!
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

pioneer4x4

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »
who makes the header you got with the egr spout on it? 150 aint a bad price!

Offline que89yj

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 01:09:47 PM »
I did get a great deal on the header. It was had to believe I picked up as much performance as I did with the little tweaks but I am definitely happy with the results. I did check the header and it is thicker then the intake manifold. The only part that isnt leaking is the one bolt area on top that the washer bent when I tightened it. I a wondering now if I do need those bullet shaped spacers to get the correct torque or maybe the washers someone mentioned that they got woth their header. Does anyone no where to buy them?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 01:38:40 PM »
as i mentioned before my pacesetter header came with solid washers which were thicker on 1/2 of the circumference - so going by that i guess you can use any thick washers that are not going to bend when you tighten the bolts/nuts. You will have to address the thickness difference between the header and intake as it will leak in time otherwise. I'll post a pic of those washers i have later on today

Offline que89yj

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 01:48:41 PM »
Thanks I appreciate the help on the washer. That was a great call. The only thing that is so weird is that the only part of the intake that seated correctly was the one where the washer bent. I would have gone crazy trying to figure that one out. I got the header on line from a scrap yard in San Diego. The thing is brand new with a brand new O2 sensor on it. I dont know who had it on, but I am serious, the thing had no miles on it.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 03:06:33 PM »
Thanks I appreciate the help on the washer. That was a great call. The only thing that is so weird is that the only part of the intake that seated correctly was the one where the washer bent. I would have gone crazy trying to figure that one out. I got the header on line from a scrap yard in San Diego. The thing is brand new with a brand new O2 sensor on it. I dont know who had it on, but I am serious, the thing had no miles on it.

no worries, glad i could help. Here are the washers that came with my header, they are faily thick so they won't bend but i assume you could use yours and grind the difference down (i dont see why not) but give a bit of room so grind past the center just in case they are not right on the money there's room to go on an angle

Offline que89yj

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 06:04:54 AM »
Can you tell me the width and thickness of those washers. I can try and fab them up at work today if I know the dimensions. Thanks again. I went to another forum and got a whole lot of nothing for help there.

Banshee600

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 07:53:45 AM »
when you take it back off make sure that it is not warped. or a peice of the old gasket stuck in there I'v done that one before. been a mech. for 30 years good luck

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 08:15:04 AM »
Can you tell me the width and thickness of those washers. I can try and fab them up at work today if I know the dimensions. Thanks again. I went to another forum and got a whole lot of nothing for help there.
too late, had the new header installed yesterday but the diameter is the same as the conical ones and the thickness in your case should be the same on the thicker part (since your exhaust header is thicker) so just substract the diff for the thinner portion

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 09:12:50 AM »
i could actually reach one so dimensions are
1'' diameter
thickness on the thicker part is 1/4''
for the thinner portion subtract the difference between the intake and the exhaust header and you're good to go. the bolts are 3/8-16tpi just in case you need it for the hole diameter (i guess you wouldn't know the thickness either unless you measured the 2 before going to work) - in my case the thinner portion of those washers is around 3/16'' but that is with the pacesetter header so yours will definitely be different

Offline que89yj

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »
Thanks again I appreciate it. I will have to measure the difference tonight when I get home and do it tomorrow. You are right, the headers offset  will be different.