Author Topic: hockey pucks  (Read 1340 times)

outrunthemoon

hockey pucks
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »
So how do you all feel about using hockey pucks as a cheap alternative to spacers? I really wanted to get a 2.5" suspension lift this summer but the funds just haven't been there. My friend suggested getting a few hockey pucks. So I guess my questions are, is it safe? is it practical?, and would you recommend it?

Moondo

Re: hockey pucks
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »
Your Avatar has a pic of a TJ is that what you want to lift? 

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:11:01 PM »
I wouldn't do it. Do it right or don't do it.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 01:16:49 PM »
Your Avatar has a pic of a TJ is that what you want to lift? 
i think he's thinking of throwing the pucks under the coil springs - but i'm not a psychic so hard to tell if that's what he meant.
You could also use some footballs instead of airbags and inflate them to the desired ride height (they can probably slide in between the coils while deflated) and maybe use some abs plumbing pipe around the hokey pucks to keep the spring from sliding out (i'm just kidding, don't take my advice please).

'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure she's saying use the hockey pucks for a body lift. I hadn't thought of using them for a spring spacer. Either way not a good idea IMO.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure she's saying use the hockey pucks for a body lift. I hadn't thought of using them for a spring spacer. Either way not a good idea IMO.
That's what it sounds like to me.  The spacers are a lot larger then hockey pucks.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Moondo

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »
If you are thinking TJ and a body lift. A body lift is used in addition to your stock mounts hockey pucks will look a little goofy on the two rear mounts that are visable (pucks will be too big and hang over the stock ones). The two mounts under the headlights are completely different animals. They require more lift than the others and they have rubber plugs that are press fit into the body not bolted. Lastly, if you did or plan on lowering your transfer case you will need a TC shifter relocation bracket. A good body lift made for your vehicle will have the bracket included and you can find them for around $100.00. You will be a lot happier in the long run going that route...   Moondo   

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 03:00:42 PM »
I've done hockey puck body lifts on my own jeep and several others, great inexpensive way to gain 1" of tire clearance.  You need 11 pucks and 11 bolts 1" longer than stock, can generally be done for under $25.  Hockey pucks are durable and wider than the stock body mounts, so stability of the mount is not an issue.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 04:16:50 PM »
i see, that's not that out there then - Bounty hunter said that he did it for about $25, i paid about $80 for my b/l but that included all the bolts and sleeves and the 3 mounts under the front grill (you can probably use a hockey puck to the center one, not sure with the outside ones though). if you have hockey pucks and proper bolts laying around (assuming you don't need the inner sleeves) could be a cheap option and even if you buy 11 pucks at $2 each + 11bolts at $1.50 each that makes it $38.50 - half price so not bad, and you can probably mount them under the body above the existing mounts so they're out of sight.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 04:53:08 PM »
i see, that's not that out there then - Bounty hunter said that he did it for about $25, i paid about $80 for my b/l but that included all the bolts and sleeves and the 3 mounts under the front grill (you can probably use a hockey puck to the center one, not sure with the outside ones though). if you have hockey pucks and proper bolts laying around (assuming you don't need the inner sleeves) could be a cheap option and even if you buy 11 pucks at $2 each + 11bolts at $1.50 each that makes it $38.50 - half price so not bad, and you can probably mount them under the body above the existing mounts so they're out of sight.
The problem with using hockey pucks is that you're drilling a hole thought them instead of burning a hole, this causes tears.  Depending in several factors those tears and get bigger.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

jcsanders79

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 10:08:32 PM »
If you have the hockey pucks and are willing to trad out for a real one if they fail....I'd do it!!!