Author Topic: What mod should i buy?  (Read 1294 times)

93yjFirstJeep

What mod should i buy?
« on: August 19, 2009, 05:38:24 PM »
Im going off to college in a bout a week and will be commuting two hours each way in my yj. I would like to do one last thing to possibly boost my fuel economy and power. With fuel economy my priority, what should i buy? I was thinking a kn filter for my stock air box, 4.0 tb, tb spacer, or 19lb injectors but I'm open to suggestions. Please help me out  :bow:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: What mod should i buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »
Skinner tires will probably do more then anything else. (33x9.5R15's or even 33x10.5R15's) Since you have 4.88's you can't really drop down to smaller tires  Unless you go for 31x10.5R15's maybe.  Then drive it below 70MPH.  Better yet, drive it below 60MPH and you'll get even better mileage.  Commuting in a Jeep is a bit of an oxymoron.   It's not designed to be used as a commuter vehicle.  You're carrying a lot of excess weight like the transfer case and an extra live axle that aren't doing you any good.  More then anything aerodynamics are what you're fighting against.  Gaining more HP will not help your mileage since the faster you go the more wind resistance you encounter.

With that said, I'd upgrade the ignition system since it smooths out the engine.  Better spark, the more efficient the combustion.  FoMoCo Design III injectors will also help the engine be more efficient as the spray pattern is a lot better.  Them maybe get rid of the clutch fan for an electric.  At higher speeds, you won't need the fan running so you don't have to have the engine work unnecessarily.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »
AEM makes a great intake. i dropped mine in and i def gained a few mpgs-i still suck gas pretty bad (though that's prob due to other issues) but the AEM and spacer certainly improved it a bit. if your jeep is clean and consumes what it's supposed to consume-given age and tire size etc, then you'll be satisfied with AEM.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

93yjFirstJeep

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:54:30 PM »
the aem intake just seemed expensive, $250. The rockit was only $150. also jeffy, i keep it at 55 to 60 on the interstate because after that my mileage tanks. Does this change your recommendation?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »
the aem intake just seemed expensive, $250. The rockit was only $150. also jeffy, i keep it at 55 to 60 on the interstate because after that my mileage tanks. Does this change your recommendation?
55-60mph seems to be the sweetspot between getting someplace fast and saving gas.  I agree that when you push the Jeep past that the mileage will tank.  You might want to do some simple things like air up teh tires a bit more so there is less rolling resistance.  Problem is, do this too often and you'll wear the centers tread faster then the outer tread.  Most of us running 12.5" and drive daily just live with that fact of life.

Injectors, Ignition, and fan would still be my recommendation.  The Injectors and the Fan should be relatively inexpensive if you buy them off ebay or go pull them yourself.  The ignition, I recommend is the PD Firepower kit which replaces the stock coil, wires, cap and rotor.

Still, you could eak out a few miles with smaller/skinnier tires.  Less rolling mass, rolling resistance and wind resistance.

Adding an intake tube might help but you'll more then likely lose some of the low-end torque.  Since you're driving at 55-60mph, I don't really see it that necessary.  Although you could try to experiment a bit.  Take the top of the airbox off and then remove the bottom.  Zip-tie the filter to the top and secure it to the grill support rod.  Reset the computer and see how it reacts.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

93yjFirstJeep

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »
Thats a good idea. I think I'm going to price out the injectors first, i would like to do the cheapest mod, which i thought would be the 4.0 tb. Thanks for all the help Jeffy. I'm still a newbie if its not obvious  :wall:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:29:27 PM »
Thats a good idea. I think I'm going to price out the injectors first, i would like to do the cheapest mod, which i thought would be the 4.0 tb. Thanks for all the help Jeffy. I'm still a newbie if its not obvious  :wall:
Injectors cost me $15-30 off ebay...  Cheaper then a 4.0L TB.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 06:30:11 PM »
Im going off to college in a bout a week and will be commuting two hours each way in my yj. I would like to do one last thing to possibly boost my fuel economy and power. With fuel economy my priority, what should i buy? I was thinking a kn filter for my stock air box, 4.0 tb, tb spacer, or 19lb injectors but I'm open to suggestions. Please help me out  :bow:

best mod you can buy to help you be aware of the way you're driving is an AFR gauge - if the LEDs are cycling back and forth quickly between rich and lean you are in closed loop, if they are solid towards rich you are in open loop - your goal is to keep it in closed loop for best fuel economy when the ecu adjusts the air/fuel ratio based on the o2 sensor feedback (and the diff is significant) - it's relatively easy to get the hang of it. i agree with Jeffy on the tires. Also read somewhere that a hardtop would give you better mileage on the hwy as the softtop generates more drag, however i assume the opposite for the city driving as it is heavy compared to the softtop.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

jcsanders79

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 08:38:23 PM »
Hmm, should have traded it in as a clunker if you wanted good fuel economy :blbl: