Author Topic: Anybody know where the power steering switch is located?  (Read 649 times)

jcsanders79

Anybody know where the power steering switch is located?
« on: August 20, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »
I've been in a battle with my check engine light for a few months.  The "engine lean" code drove me to my mechanic.  My stock pig tail for the bank 1 O2 sensor melted years ago and it finally caught up with me.  Had to have him find a new one to splice on (odd but 2 other tj's had different connectors).  On the way home I got a clicking sound from behind the steering wheel.  Check engine light came back on :twofingers:!!!  Jeep wouldn't start.  Disconnected the wires from the relay that was clicking and the Jeep started up?  I had a power steering switch code when my mechanic pulled all the codes?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Anybody know where the power steering switch is located?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:45:02 PM »
I've been in a battle with my check engine light for a few months.  The "engine lean" code drove me to my mechanic.  My stock pig tail for the bank 1 O2 sensor melted years ago and it finally caught up with me.  Had to have him find a new one to splice on (odd but 2 other tj's had different connectors).  On the way home I got a clicking sound from behind the steering wheel.  Check engine light came back on :twofingers:!!!  Jeep wouldn't start.  Disconnected the wires from the relay that was clicking and the Jeep started up?  I had a power steering switch code when my mechanic pulled all the codes?
it's on the high pressure fitting on the pipe that comes out of the p/s pump - you can't miss it - mine is broken btw (broke the plastic when i was reaching for something else) and had no issues with it - basically it increases the rpm by about 200 when you're at the end of steering and the pump works harder, w/o the switch the rpm will go lower by 100 rpm, it's enough to let go of the steering wheel just a hair and comes back up.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

jcsanders79

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:23:32 PM »
Damn, its not behind the steering wheel.  I guess I've got another issue.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:17:28 AM »
Damn, its not behind the steering wheel.  I guess I've got another issue.
the turn signal return maybe?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jagular7

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »
the turn signal return maybe?

I was thinking operator? Aren't they behind the steering wheel? :confused:
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s