Author Topic: I got some Rancheros, mayn!  (Read 1501 times)

Offline TahoeYJ

• How can I reech theese kids?
I got some Rancheros, mayn!
« on: August 24, 2009, 11:29:50 PM »
RS5000's  :brick:

I've been wanting new shocks forever, but just haven't gotten any since I didn't know if I was ever to go SOA or what. Well since my rear shocks were too long, I bummed a set off a friend of mine. They've seriously been sitting on his counter for a year or more, he ended up just giving them to me  :smokes: I love free stuff!  :weee:

They're honestly still too long, which is almost making me consider moving my shock mounts lower on my rear axle, so I don't end up with too short of a shock if I get others. And relocating them won't be hard...

But anyway, these things ride GREAT! I still feel the really jolty, large bumps but overall they're much smoother. Definitely happy with them, especially for free  :twofingers:
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more

Offline neale_rs

Re: I got some Rancheros, mayn!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 07:46:12 AM »
My axle mounts get hit all the time.  It's better not to lower axle shock mounts, you might consider raising the mount on the frame side.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Jesse-James

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:53:38 AM »
I'm using the M.O.R.E. relocators in the rear, something to look into.....

TrailsLessTaken

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:24:58 AM »
I bought those M.O.R.E. mounts also for the rear or mine and they work out pretty nice, I had to weld mine to the frame though cause i broke the shock mount...

Offline TahoeYJ

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:29:52 AM »
I heard from someone that it's possibile to have them located too high on the axle?? I didn't consider making them higher up on the frame end, I might have to give that a try. There's a few pics in my 9" swap thread in the projects section. I'd post pics but I'm using my phone, waiting to get into traffic court. Yaaaay!!!!!
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »
I heard from someone that it's possibile to have them located too high on the axle?? I didn't consider making them higher up on the frame end, I might have to give that a try. There's a few pics in my 9" swap thread in the projects section. I'd post pics but I'm using my phone, waiting to get into traffic court. Yaaaay!!!!!

I agree with the others above. Don't lower them on the axle. Do the MORE relocation brackets. I had those for awhile and they worked great.
I don't think it matters where you mount them on the axle, some of the coilover guy's mounts them on the top of the axle.

Good luck in court! :pirate:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:45:06 PM by FourbangerYJ »
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 12:43:07 PM »
You can also triangulate the rear shocks.  Their travel will be less, how much less depends on the angle.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 07:55:39 AM »

The theory regarding this has to do with the upward rotation of a rear pinion under load.  A shock on the bottom angled toward the front will tend to control a fast upward rotation of the pinion, helping control axle/spring wrap.  When the shock is mounted on top, the shock will actually be extending when the pinion rotates up.  Since most shocks are easier to move in that direction, it will not do much to control axle wrap.  With link suspensions, the wrap problem is much less or almost non-existent.  To maximize the damper function with leaf springs you would want the rear shocks mounted as closely as possible in line with the up and back motion of the axle tube as the suspension compresses, but this is pretty hard to do on a YJ unless you remove the gas tank.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

drunkencityworker

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »
i have the more extensions and mounted shocks parallel to the axle tube so not to hang down. did cliffs xtreme terrain saterday and worked great.

Offline TahoeYJ

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:30:35 PM »
So today I slapped some RS9000X's on the front end...

:weee:

I set them on level 3 and they're AWESOME! SO much smoother than the Rough Country shocks! 75% of the bumps I normally hit on the roads around here feel way smoother. And maybe I'm just thinking this in my head, but I swear it feels smoother overall, like I was getting a weird vibration from the road with my old shocks... Again, maybe I'm crazy

Either way, I'm happy. They should serve well on the 'Con in a couple weeks  :pirate: