Author Topic: One piece at a time  (Read 989 times)

Offline justin399

One piece at a time
« on: August 30, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »
Hey guys, I'm trying to get some direction as to where I want to go with building my jeep. My plant closed so I'm in the soup line & can't justify spending a lump of cash on a good suspension lift to the wife so I'd like to get allot of the little stuff one piece at a time but have allot of questions.
#1: I've heard good things about the daystar 1" body lift, why is it better than the cheaper ones?
#2: I'd like to get some greasable 1" boomerang lift shackles, where's the best place to get quality without spending to much?
#3: Would running pizza cutters with deep offset wheels give stability off camber and keep the rolling resistance low, any dissadvantages to that?
#4: My goal is to eventually have good ground clearance, stability off camber, still get decent mileage, and do it on a budget. Thanks for any help guys.
93 YJ:2.5l aussie's front & rear, 4.0TB & spacer, hand throttle, 19lb injectors, no trackbars, ramsey 8.5e.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: One piece at a time
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »
Hey guys, I'm trying to get some direction as to where I want to go with building my jeep. My plant closed so I'm in the soup line & can't justify spending a lump of cash on a good suspension lift to the wife so I'd like to get allot of the little stuff one piece at a time but have allot of questions.
#1: I've heard good things about the daystar 1" body lift, why is it better than the cheaper ones?
#2: I'd like to get some greasable 1" boomerang lift shackles, where's the best place to get quality without spending to much?
#3: Would running pizza cutters with deep offset wheels give stability off camber and keep the rolling resistance low, any dissadvantages to that?
#4: My goal is to eventually have good ground clearance, stability off camber, still get decent mileage, and do it on a budget. Thanks for any help guys.
1 - you get bolts with sleeves and washers that are the right dimensions - i can't remember if mine was daystar (it was some brand name but i installed it long time ago so can't remember) plus i think it's a poly kit (not sure though EDIT: 1'' B/L should be poly).
2 - 1/4'' steel - if you have an angle grinder or a sawzall you can make your own, that's the cheapest. You can reuse your bolts, will be tight but i did that and had no issues in over 4 years
3 - what  backspacing are we talking about? up to 2.75'' should be ok, i base that on the fact that a lot of 15x10 wheels have that backspacing. now i don't know if you plan on running spacers what would be the end thickness of those, i have no experience with the spacers and personally i would not use them but that is just my personal preference.
4 - you need larger tires to clear the axles, so even if you lift the jeep and keep the stock wheels your axles (and diffs) won't be any higher up from the ground - will help a little of course, you need a very good spotter though :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:45:33 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jagular7

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 07:42:06 AM »
When you talked shackles, I'm thinking you have a YJ. For a budget, look at your local craigslist and 4wd clubs. Your local CL will have lots of parts people are wanting to get rid of. They usually are not members or associated to any 4wd clubs so they sell their stuff that way. Those associated or are members of a 4wd club will look to sell by word of mouth or the club's website. The prices there are usually cheaper as they would prefer to sell quickly. Most of the time as well, they will have a reputation within the group so keeping repor (sp?) is a concern for them. Those on CL can be dealt with as a 1 on 1.

For adding taller tires, I wouldn't go bigger than 2 sizes than stock. This will maintain a performance level without having a great il-effect on acceleration. Adding a slight body lift will gain tire clearance but it won't do a whole lot for the low belly you have. Lifting the frame from the axles will provide some clearance under the skid plate. Increasing tire size lifts the axles and the rest of the vehicle half the difference. Typically, it is the same for adding longer shackles. Without adding a body lift, you can gain tire clearance by using TJ flares. The TJ flare opening is larger than the YJ.

So on a budget, you could get a set of flares for near/under $50. Body lift will be near $110. (Also, the shifter bell crank will need to be adjusted with the body lift. It mounts between the trans and the floor brackets.) You could get the longer shackles used, but I don't know about costs for these.
As for tires on a budget, used set with the wheels is best, but again, if you stick with your stock rims, taller 30x9.5s shouldn't be a problem. With the 30s, the spare should fit right in the spare location.

If you wheel, you will require other items as well. Retraction/recovery capability (winch, frame-mounted hooks, straps), cb, first aid, camera. If you mind a little body dent, then you'll also need some panel skids to protect the body somehow. But all this depends on your budget, concerns, and terrain.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

drunkencityworker

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:04:14 AM »
from his sig he is locked f and r. has a winch. CL is a good place to find stuff. only thing i bought new were brake line ext and shock mounts and shock mount ext. Be patient and squeeze pennies

drunkencityworker

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
if you want to stay low. use sawzall and stay away from body lifts. homeade hiline fenders are a new trend to help stay low on a budget

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 01:54:11 PM »
1:  Daystay poly mounts are good especially if you want to replace the stock rubber bushings.  Otherwise you should be fine with pucks.  Currie or JKS make a nice 1.25" body lift.

2: Currie, but they are not cheap.  You can get grease-able bolts separately if you want to save a buck.

3: I do not really recommend moving out the wheels just for more stability.  First off, it looks bad when the tires are skinny.  Secondly, it's illegal in many states.  Finally, it puts unnecessary stress on the wheel bearings.  I don't recommend wheel spacers either as they are just another unnecessary item.  It's better to use a new wheel so you don't have to take the tires off to make sure all the lugs are tight.  Not to mention, moving the tires outside the wheelwells will cut down on your aerodynamics and the tires might hum more.

They way, I'd do it is to add a minimal amount of lift then go with TJ flares to give you move clearance.  Then put skid plates on the tank, rockers and diffs.  Maybe add an oil pan skid as well.  The only real pizza cutters I can think of are 33x10.5's or 33x9.5's so I'll assume you want one of those.  If you have stock wheels, (6x15"), either of these tires will fit on the wheels.  You'll need to turn out the front steering stops on the front tires though.  Optimally, you would probably want to run +1" on the backspacing to give them a bit more room.  Although, if you're going to change the wheels then I'd maybe run 8x15's since it will allow the tires to site more flat (they wear better this way) and it opens the door to 12.5" tires if you change your mind later on.  If you're using 31's though then, there is really no need to change the wheels.  For 33's you'll need a bit more lift then just flares.  On a budget, I'd go with a 1-1.25" body lift and some 5/8" lift shackles.  Or maybe a 2.5" RE XD lift if the budget allows.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline justin399

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 05:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I've got some 30x9.5's on there right now but I'm just trying to get a little more ground clearance. I'm going to try to get some TJ flares first, then the shackles and maybe a 1" body. I was looking at some cragar soft 8's awhile back on craigslist, but with them being steel would something like that be to heavy and make me lose power? I appreciate all the responses, Thanks.
93 YJ:2.5l aussie's front & rear, 4.0TB & spacer, hand throttle, 19lb injectors, no trackbars, ramsey 8.5e.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I've got some 30x9.5's on there right now but I'm just trying to get a little more ground clearance. I'm going to try to get some TJ flares first, then the shackles and maybe a 1" body. I was looking at some cragar soft 8's awhile back on craigslist, but with them being steel would something like that be to heavy and make me lose power? I appreciate all the responses, Thanks.
I would not even bother to change the wheels with 30's.  You aren't tall enough to worry about off-camber issues and that money could be better spent elsewhere.   I don't think I'd even other with TJ flares with that small of a tire.  Stock wheels should allow them to tuck under the stock flares when the axle is articulating.   Cover the basics.  Tow points, Hi-lift, etc...
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 11:02:15 PM »

like he ^ said i also don't think you need TJ flares with your tires. But in case you do go with those you will need to do some fender trimming to get more clearance (that's how they actually help, otherwise the sheetmetal will still be in the way, but again not an issue with 30s - i had 31s and stock flares and it was fine, when i went to 33s i had to change the flares and trim the fenders)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline justin399

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 09:31:12 AM »
Sorry guys but my wording was off. I have the 30"s on there right now but I'm eventually wanting some larger tires. Maybe some 32"s or 33"s. But the tires are aways off. I'm just trying to get a game plan. After I get the clearance for the tires I want to upgrade to the 8.8 in the rear. Regear then the tires. Right now I only have enough money for some of the small stuff. Thanks again.