Author Topic: new exhaust/header  (Read 1956 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
new exhaust/header
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:00:39 PM »
As mentioned in some of my earlier posts i need a new exhaust. the dynomax set up was all garbage... i lost the pipe 3x on the trail a few days ago cause the clamps they gave me didnt clamp down quite right...it's an obnoxiously loud product and gave nothing on the "performance" side. I went ahead and did some research and settled on banks. Right now they are running a sale on their products. i got the header and cat back exhaust kit free of tax and shipping rate and at sale price...i think the sale runs till next week.  It seems people like the banks products so ill write up a review once it's all installed.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: new exhaust/header
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »
As mentioned in some of my earlier posts i need a new exhaust. the dynomax set up was all garbage... i lost the pipe 3x on the trail a few days ago cause the clamps they gave me didnt clamp down quite right...it's an obnoxiously loud product and gave nothing on the "performance" side. I went ahead and did some research and settled on banks. Right now they are running a sale on their products. i got the header and cat back exhaust kit free of tax and shipping rate and at sale price...i think the sale runs till next week.  It seems people like the banks products so ill write up a review once it's all installed.
i think banks was the one Kenne-Bell used for their dyno tests when they were producing the 4.0L supercharger kit and they recommended it as one of the best ones out there - i think (but not sure) that theirs also had the banks cat - did you  buy the cat too or just muffler and pipe? and how much was it  if you don't mind me asking?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

BarneyJeep

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 08:23:01 PM »
im partial to the magnaflow's on the 2.5's

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1114280735683

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »
i think banks was the one Kenne-Bell used for their dyno tests when they were producing the 4.0L supercharger kit and they recommended it as one of the best ones out there - i think (but not sure) that theirs also had the banks cat - did you  buy the cat too or just muffler and pipe? and how much was it  if you don't mind me asking?
it's the banks monster cat-back system and torque tube headers. 266 for exhaust (no shipping, no tax) and 365 for the header. they are running a sale til next week i believe and this is the cheapest ive found these. id like a nice high flowing cat as well to keep everything down the line at a higher flow rate but i need a little extra cash and the new soft top i bought was close to 300 so that's gonna be it purchases for now....damn you jeep bug, you've made me sick, very sick.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline smashcoast

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:55:25 AM »
Be carefull with the Banks header. I had one and it cracked a year later. I put a stock replacemant on and it works great. I've heard about them cracking in other forums.

Also the Banks cat-back is way to loud, i just took mine off about 2 months ago and put in a cherrybomb turbo II and can hear the road and radio again.

The performance isnt worth the money, I didnt notice anything worth installing any of this expensive after market crap for performance.

Regear and elec fan conversion!
Building this Jeep on the Cheap! Just like Chrysler!

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:05:27 AM »
im partial to the magnaflow's on the 2.5's

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1114280735683

what's in that video? (i don't have an account on facebook and apparently you need to sign up to watch it)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 09:07:28 AM »
Be carefull with the Banks header. I had one and it cracked a year later. I put a stock replacemant on and it works great. I've heard about them cracking in other forums.

where did it crack? was it the stainless header?

BarneyJeep

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 09:27:49 AM »
what's in that video? (i don't have an account on facebook and apparently you need to sign up to watch it)

my bad, i thought i had ti set so everyone could view it...apparently its Everyone on FB. Its a video of my Jeep with the new motor in it.... Sorry.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 09:33:45 AM »
my bad, i thought i had ti set so everyone could view it...apparently its Everyone on FB. Its a video of my Jeep with the new motor in it.... Sorry.
no worries, i was just curious - thought there was some 4banger burnout or something :)

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 12:05:04 PM »
there is a lifetime warrenty on it..i hope it covers cracks and such. any ideas why they crack/fail. is it heat related? i thought the design of the torque tubes was supposed to handle heat better than stock.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »

Also the Banks cat-back is way to loud, i just took mine off about 2 months ago and put in a cherrybomb turbo II and can hear the road and radio again.

The performance isnt worth the money, I didnt notice anything worth installing any of this expensive after market crap for performance.

Regear and elec fan conversion!
LOUD??!! that was the ONLY thing i wanted to make sure it WASN'T. all the research i did suggested it wasnt too loud-just a bit louder than stock at best. as long as it's not louder than that dynomax garbage i have on there now then ill be happy, if not i'll sure be pissed.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 12:18:13 PM »
there is a lifetime warrenty on it..i hope it covers cracks and such. any ideas why they crack/fail. is it heat related? i thought the design of the torque tubes was supposed to handle heat better than stock.
would be interesting to find out where it cracked - if it was one of the pipes then it means that there's a problem with the type of pipe they used. I would guess that this would be covered by the warranty.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
I doubt it's heat related.  More then likely it's vibrations.  The 2.5L vibrates more then the 4.0L and tends to find weak spots in exhausts, especially with poly mounts.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 02:01:46 PM »
LOUD??!! that was the ONLY thing i wanted to make sure it WASN'T. all the research i did suggested it wasnt too loud-just a bit louder than stock at best. as long as it's not louder than that dynomax garbage i have on there now then ill be happy, if not i'll sure be pissed.

JP did a exhaust shoot out not to long ago. They said the Banks cat back was one of the loudest they tested.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »
JP did a exhaust shoot out not to long ago. They said the Banks cat back was one of the loudest they tested.
just great. the guy i talked to told me it was def not as loud as dynomax and just a bit louder than stock. ive seen some clips on youtube and it didnt sound too loud. guess ill just have to wait and see.