Author Topic: Welder  (Read 849 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Welder
« on: September 10, 2009, 05:18:38 PM »
Hey, guys, how many amps would you say is needed for some basic welding on the Jeep?  I just saw a Kawasaki welder here in Costa Rica in PriceSmart (Costco) that looks nice; it's under $200 (keep in mind prices here are typically twice that of the US!) and comes with head piece and gloves.  It is a spool welder, but does not have any setup for gas...  Suppossedly, it can weld UP TO 3/16 without issues, so I figured it would be a good "learning" wleder for me to try.  Thoughts?
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: Welder
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 05:28:08 PM »
Gotta link?
I am using a Lincoln 135 with flux core. It does 99% of the welding I need. Flux burns hotter than MIG.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline chardrc

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »
Id save up for a welder that can use sheilding gas... they will weld better and you don't have to worry about finding flux core wire (aka when you bring it on a trip and forget the wire somehow)...
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 06:36:46 PM »
What fourbanger said, 135Amp is probably good for what you need on the Jeep. I have a mastercraft that does both (gas and flux) but i rushed and got 80 amp which is only good for small jobs - if I were to do it again i would wait and get one that's over 100 and maybe look at a tig (even though for those you jump in price quite a bit).
definitely gas shielding is better way but there will be some extra cost: bottle is about $100 (aluminum), regulator another $60 or so and gas (which if i remember correctly would be around $30 for a refill for a co2+argon mix) - flux core is not that hard to find, it's fairly common nowadays only difference is that the polarity is reversed and i think (but not sure) that any mig would do flux as well just need to reverse the wires (mine has a big label where the spool goes warning to reverse the ground and gun wires for flux core welding).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:47:33 PM »
What fourbanger said, 135Amp is probably good for what you need on the Jeep. I have a mastercraft that does both (gas and flux) but i rushed and got 80 amp which is only good for small jobs - if I were to do it again i would wait and get one that's over 100 and maybe look at a tig (even though for those you jump in price quite a bit).
definitely gas shielding is better way but there will be some extra cost: bottle is about $100 (aluminum), regulator another $60 or so and gas (which if i remember correctly would be around $30 for a refill for a co2+argon mix) - flux core is not that hard to find, it's fairly common nowadays only difference is that the polarity is reversed and i think (but not sure) that any mig would do flux as well just need to reverse the wires (mine has a big label where the spool goes warning to reverse the ground and gun wires for flux core welding).
You have it right as far as polarity.
 If you want to weld with gas shield you need a machine that has more amps. Which put you into a 220V machine. I have run a gas bottle on the Lincoln 135 and the welds were pretty cold even with the settings maxed out. Not of very thick material either.

I love my Readywelder for the times I need more amps. Just need a couple of batteries. Prolly expensive to get in Costa Rica thou.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:18:08 AM »
The Kawasaki one was 80A IIRC, and there was also this one, with gas, but it is 70A (by the way, this one costs about $460!).  I guess I'll pass.  It's probably cheaper here to hire someone to do the welding for me than to buy a machine (labor is cheap down here).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost